Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Whats your experience, 70D vs 7D Shutter scaring away hummingbirds?

bugbait

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Whats your experience, 70D vs 7D Shutter scaring away hummingbirds?

March 3rd or sooner I will be buying a low mileage 7D or new 70D, just can't afford the 7D II this spring.

Both the 70D and 7D trade blows in features, cost etc. Coming from the EOS-M I will undoubtedly be in hog heaven either way.

My question is the following;

At distances of 5 - 12 feet or 1.5 - 3.5 meters is the shutter sound of the 7D going to be considerably more likely to run off a mother hummingbird from the area of her nest, than a 70D?

I am often shooting in larger city parks or a small aviary that are all within city limits. (Pacific Northwest USA woodlands.) It is hard to get away from traffic noise but certainly doesn't have the masking noise of a jungle canopy.

Last spring I took thousands of images of an Anna's hummer nest from eggs to fledglings. The mirrorless M is very quite but due to the rapid body movements of both the mother and hatch-lings I and the slow focusing abilities of the M I had to take thousands of images to get the few special images I was after.

I actually need at least 7 fps to catch flat fleeting split second the mothers gorget flashes at just the right angle between the sunset and my lens.

Heavy cropping is always involved as they are very small even at 250mm.

Below is an example of an image from about 5 feet. It was rather quite there and I took about 24 images before she took off with the quite little M and 55-250 STM. 300L IS next winter.

Anna's Female, no flash.

Jan 28, 2015 at 07:46 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Whats your experience, 70D vs 7D Shutter scaring away hummingbirds?

I have shot with the 5d3 and 7d, and definitely prefer the more silent shutter of 5d3. However, once they get a little used to you, they seem to not care.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:26 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Whats your experience, 70D vs 7D Shutter scaring away hummingbirds?

The 70d has silent shutter mode.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:10 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Whats your experience, 70D vs 7D Shutter scaring away hummingbirds?

5D3 is super silent. I shot with that in a recording studio, during a recording. The 7D2 is pretty awesome too but not as good.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:56 PM
bugbait

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Whats your experience, 70D vs 7D Shutter scaring away hummingbirds?

kevindar wrote:
I have shot with the 5d3 and 7d, and definitely prefer the more silent shutter of 5d3. However, once they get a little used to you, they seem to not care.

If I do find some wild nest, I'll just shoot a few sets of a few frames and slink away for a while and return a little later and then return the following days slowly ramp up the amount of exposures. I did that with the nest last year. At least if I find the 7D shutter does cause too much stress for the particular nest I find I can sell the 7D for pretty much what I buy at. Likely about $650 usd. The one time I shot for a few minutes with a 7D I just remember thinking it sounded like a toy machine-gun. The 7D II seems to have a nice purr with a lens installed. I found this video a few minutes ago.

The shutter sound of Canon EOS 7D MarkII released on 30 Oct. 2014.
Single→Slow Burst(8fps)→Fast Burst(10fps)→Silent Single→Silent Burst(4fps)

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Drive Modes

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:45 AM
bugbait

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Whats your experience, 70D vs 7D Shutter scaring away hummingbirds?

stanj wrote:
5D3 is super silent. I shot with that in a recording studio, during a recording. The 7D2 is pretty awesome too but not as good.

Thanks for the feed back Stan.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:48 AM
jmckayak
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Whats your experience, 70D vs 7D Shutter scaring away hummingbirds?

I was using a 1D4 to take photos of hummingbirds in the front yard. I was standing next to the open garage. Took a burst of shots while a male Ruby-throat was feeding. He thought that the camera click was another hummer chittering and flew up to investigate. He hovered near me then flew inside the garage to get a different look at me, then flew out and rested on his usual perch.
Camera clicks MIGHT attract hummers rather than chase them away!

Jan 29, 2015 at 02:12 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Whats your experience, 70D vs 7D Shutter scaring away hummingbirds?

I can get pretty close without the shutter scaring them.

Jan 29, 2015 at 02:59 PM
bugbait

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Whats your experience, 70D vs 7D Shutter scaring away hummingbirds?

Wow image master that is CLOSE. I haven't seen the true brown of the eye so well before.

Cool, ya the feedback I have gotten here and on DPReview has convinced me I should not factor the shutter-mirror box sound as a factor in which body I buy.

We have blue skies today so I will be getting out there soon but without my M, so I concentrate on finding a wild nest.

Edited on Jan 29, 2015 at 04:53 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:50 PM
bugbait

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Whats your experience, 70D vs 7D Shutter scaring away hummingbirds?

Cool Jim, maybe Ill decorate my lens hood with some red flowers ;-)

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.