Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Suitable backup body to D810?

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suitable backup body to D810?

Looking to get another body as backup to my main D810. My primary genre is landscapes. I have only progressed from D700 -> D3x -> D800E -> D810 so not very familiar with other cameras in Nikon lineup. Which one would you recommend and why

thanks
msoomro

Jan 28, 2015 at 06:18 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suitable backup body to D810?

Since it's going to be a back up body and you will use it for landscape mainly, then I would recommend a used D800 or D800e which go around really cheap these days. You will have the same controls, body, menus and even performance (well almost).

Jan 28, 2015 at 06:25 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suitable backup body to D810?

D610 is also super affordable as well. D800 would give you the same controls and an awesome backup as well.

Jan 28, 2015 at 06:27 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suitable backup body to D810?

Lots of good Nikon bodies. I'm using a D810 for my D810 backup. One D810 is setup for landscapes, one for wildlife. If one fails, I have an identical body to use.

However, a used D800 would be great, as would a D600 or even D750. Nikon has a lot of great full frame bodies, I'd just go with the best deal you can find - particularly if it's strictly a backup.

Jan 28, 2015 at 06:50 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suitable backup body to D810?

The perfect solution is obviously another D810, but as others have said, a used D800 is relatively cheap, shares most of its ergonomics with the D810 and offers the same resolution, although at a slower pace. That would be my choice, although I'm using a D700 as backup today, mostly because of its abilities at a night/action camera.

Jan 28, 2015 at 07:15 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suitable backup body to D810?

Since it is a backup?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1344557

Jan 28, 2015 at 07:35 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suitable backup body to D810?

Thanks all for the suggestions. Having d800 may make best sense. Can use same batteries as well and do not need remembering diff knobs/menus

@steve. What do you mean when u say diff setup for wildlife? What settings do u change? (I am not a wildlife shooter but curious to know)

Thanks

Jan 28, 2015 at 07:55 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suitable backup body to D810?

There's a couple D800E bodies at Crutchfield right now being sold as "Open Box" for $1,869. But I know they are simply returns, and they are still giving a full warranty with them. I just returned one of them. It was going to be my wildlife camera to go with my D810. But after shooting with the nice quiet shutter of the D810 I bit the bullet and did an exchange with them for a second D810...

Great deal for an essentially brand new camera however. I had paid $2,200 a few weeks ago for new from them.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_054D800E/Nikon-D800E-no-lens-included.html?cc=02&showAll=N&search=D800E&skipvs=T

Jan 28, 2015 at 08:25 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suitable backup body to D810?

hijazist wrote:
Since it's going to be a back up body and you will use it for landscape mainly, then I would recommend a used D800 or D800e which go around really cheap these days. You will have the same controls, body, menus and even performance (well almost).

Ditto. Used D800E. It might even be a touch better for landscapes. My backup landscape camera for my D800E is a Chamonix 045n. Love it!

Kent in SD

Jan 28, 2015 at 09:13 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suitable backup body to D810?

msoomro wrote:
Thanks all for the suggestions. Having d800 may make best sense. Can use same batteries as well and do not need remembering diff knobs/menus

@steve. What do you mean when u say diff setup for wildlife? What settings do u change? (I am not a wildlife shooter but curious to know)

Thanks

Probably half of the settings between the cameras are the some. However, there are some differences. Below are the items that change:

Landscapes:

Frame advance - mirror lockup
Mode - Manual or Aperture Priority
ISO - Manual - ISO 64
F/stop - usually sits around F8 ~ 11
Crop - FX
RAW Mode - 14Bit

Wildlife:

Frame advance - CH
Mode - Manual with Auto ISO
ISO -Auto
F/stop - Wide open ~ 1/2 stop down
Crop - 1:2 (I have this set on a button so I can quickly change as needed, this is just where I usually start for the faster FPS)
RAW Mode - 12Bit (for a little more room in the buffer)

It's not a huge number of changes, but if you have your camera setup for landscape and a critter shows up for a moment, you'll miss the shot as you're trying to get everything set back correctly. (Or you'll forget to change the ISO or F/Stop - especially if it's a fluid situation where you only have a brief moment to grab the image).

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:34 PM
GOVA
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Suitable backup body to D810?

Used D800's sell for $1250 now here at FM. Easy choice for backup.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:22 AM
Squinty
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Suitable backup body to D810?

Assuming you suffer for your art and do a fair amount of hiking, I would buy the lightest/best thing possible as a back-up - like a Sony A7 with a Nikon adapter. Although I have to say, in 35 years of photography I've never once needed a back-up (touch wood) - and if I didn't shoot professionally I wouldn't even bother.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:30 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Suitable backup body to D810?

Thanks all

@Steve: Thanks for sharing the settings.

@Squinty: I had thought about the miorrorless. Although I have not personally experienced, I am told that with A7R+Adapter combo the weight advantage kind of goes away?

Jan 29, 2015 at 03:44 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Suitable backup body to D810?

msoomro wrote:
I had thought about the miorrorless. Although I have not personally experienced, I am told that with A7R+Adapter combo the weight advantage kind of goes away?

You'll shave a pound or so with an A7(R)+Adapter vs a Nikon body, and maybe a bit of bulk, but that's about it.

If you want real size and weight savings going mirrorless, native m43 is the way to go IMO. A hybrid of big FF DSLR lenses and mirrorless bodies won't net you much gain.

Jan 29, 2015 at 05:58 PM
cope07
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Suitable backup body to D810?

personally my backup (and in some situations, primary) would immediately be the D750 no questions asked. But if ALL you do is landscapes, I would go D800E, although I think you will find differences between the sweet highlight range of the D810 vs the sweet liftability of the D800 shadows (they get purple much easier on the D810 IMO)

Feb 04, 2015 at 11:58 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Suitable backup body to D810?

I think a used D800/E is a no-brainier in your situation. That way, if you need to use it for your usual landscapes, you aren't giving up resolution or much in the way of DR. Handling & controls are also very similar, and accessories are the same.

While the D610 is an outstanding body, it has significantly less resolution and different controls and ergonomics to get used to. Also for cable releases you would need to move from 10-pin to DC2, which is an unnecessary investment.

Personally, if I had a backup body with "lesser" image quality (eg. a M43, or APS-C DSLR) I get the urge to go back and try get the same picture with my "main" camera, especially if I was going to make a big print. With a D800/E you won't have that issue either if you need to reach for your backup.

Feb 04, 2015 at 12:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Suitable backup body to D810?

msoomro wrote:
Thanks all

@Steve: Thanks for sharing the settings.

@Squinty: I had thought about the miorrorless. Although I have not personally experienced, I am told that with A7R+Adapter combo the weight advantage kind of goes away?

Plus, the battery life stinks on the A7R. so be prepared to buy 2 or 3 extra batteries for it.

And also, it would make a horrible backup for the D810. It's a totally different camera, none of the controls or menu's will be familiar. The image isn't a Nef raw, so it's just a whole other kettle of worms to deal with.

Jim

Feb 04, 2015 at 02:32 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Suitable backup body to D810?

The D800E would make a great backup. Ultimately as Steve suggested, the D810 makes a great backup for the D810. But otherwise, I would go for the D800E, that's my current backup for my D810 and it works well. But with that said, I will probably trade my D800E in on a second D810.

Jim

Feb 04, 2015 at 03:29 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.