Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

JcarPhoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

Have been shooting real estate on the side for a close friend who is a residential realtor. They like the work and would like to have me do more of their listings.

I am a portrait photographer and the widest lens I have (and what i'm currently using for the houses) is the Sigma 35m 1.4A. (6D body).

Would like to get something wider for interior shots. Budget around/up to $600,very willing to go used and/or 3rd party brand. Would also maybe be willing to sell my Sigma 35mm if I get a lens that covers it (more or less).

from researching the forums I guess some options are:

Canon EF 20mm (seems to not be so well reviewed on FF?)
Canon EF 17-40mm F4

Sigma/Tamron options??
Anything else I am missing?

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2015 at 01:57 PM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

The tokina 11-16 lens is made for a crop camera, but I've used it before for real estate on FF. You cannot use the lens from 11-13mm (because it will hit the mirror), but from 14-16 you have a nice sharp super wide 2.8 lens with AF. I think they go for about $300-$400 on the B&S here.

Then there's the manual focus Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 14mm f2.8. Personally I love the lens, but it has a somewhat pronounced distortion that some people wont like for architechture. Lightroom has correction profiles for the lens though, so it may be insignificant. This lens sells for 297$ brand new @ BHphoto.

Good luck!

Charles

Jan 28, 2015 at 02:07 PM
Nate Haskovec
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

Canon 16-35 f4L

Jan 28, 2015 at 02:09 PM
gqllc007
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

Canon 16-35 f/4 IS would be your best bet but it is way more than $600

Jan 28, 2015 at 02:12 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

Within your budget, the Tokina 16-28 would be your best bet, followed by the Canon 17-40.

Jan 28, 2015 at 02:15 PM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

The 17-40 really makes the most sense. The 17 T/S with 1.4 TC would be ideal, but not really needed. No reason to get a 2.8 lens. The 16-35/4 has better optics, but they will be wasted on real estate. Primary output will be small jpegs for web and flyers, I assume.

A good rule of thumb in high quality real estate is to shoot as long as you can as often as you can, but you will probably be forced to go below 20mm on single every home.

I don't see what you gain using the Tokina 16-28 over the 17-40. But you lose some significant focal length (perhaps covered by other lenses) on the long end. I suppose 16 v 17 is significant. Anyone know if those reported FLs are accurate? And of course, you may want to use this lens for things other than real estate, in which case the 16-28 may win out as a dual purpose lens. Or not, depending on the other use (weight being one concern).

Jan 28, 2015 at 02:21 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

I have a good friend that is very happy with her Canon 17-40 for real estate photography. She is often at f 5.6 or f 8, and the 17-40 is great at those apertures. And a used 17-40 will fit in your budget. Eventually if you want to upgrade, the 17-40 will hold reasonable value. I do agree if you can afford it, the fairly new 16-35 f4 IS would be a great all around lens. For some real estate shots, using shift with the 17mm TS-E can really help, and also can cut down on post processing. But of course the 17 TS-E is a lot more money, and thus hard to justify unless you need it a lot, or have many other uses besides real estate for its magic.

Jan 28, 2015 at 03:04 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

Jake -- I see some great shots of teenagers on your site, but no architecture. ?

OP -- When I do a quickie real estate or hospitality shoot (no lights, just on-camera flash fill), I usually take my 17TSE, 24TSE and 16-35L II. Occasionally I'll add the 14 Samyang. I never have any reason to shoot tighter shots than 35mm. Well, not "never," but so rare that no one ever misses those shots. The only time I'd take a long lens is for a building featuring ornate design work (very rare and well known in advance).

My point is that the 16-28, 17-40 and various 16-35, should all fill your needs. You can probably do a lot of paid work with just one lens while you decide what to add later (or not!).

Most of your work will be on tripod, which means the most important thing is to get your camera leveled. By leveling and carefully selecting elevation, you can get by without a TSE lens for quite a while by shooting a little wider and cropping in PP. The Tokina has a good reputation for low barrel distortion and a flat field and used price around $500. I think that, with your 35mm lens, would be a good start.

The new 16-35/4L IS would also be great, but out of your budget, and you won't need IS unless you are shooting hand held daylight -- unlikely!

Good luck! Looking forward to your shots.

Jan 28, 2015 at 04:01 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

Something I have been thinking about is using a 35 mm to get away from the distortion, shoot in portrait mode, then stitch frames together. Wonder if this would work? I have heard of some software that does a much better job than Photoshop, so you could keep the 35mm and spend the $700 on software. Do this until you earn enough to buy that 24 TSE.

Like I said, I am just thinking out loud...

Jan 28, 2015 at 04:23 PM
lighthawk
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

I've done well shooting my interiors with a sigma 12-24.
It's very sharp and distortion is less than Samyang 14. All shots are tripod mounted, rarely with flash. Just long exposures at f16. I used both crop and FF (6D).

Check galleries at WrightBuilt.biz for examples.

Jan 28, 2015 at 04:32 PM
JcarPhoto

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

thank you everyone for your thoughts, all very helpful

Jan 28, 2015 at 05:26 PM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

For the architectural photography i have done i used my 17-40 for interiors and it was fine. You really need 17mm sometines. Just make sure you set it up level on the tripod to avoid distorted verricals. For exterior shots the 24 t-se is perfect as you dont always have the option of levelling the camera so the shift can come into play then.

Jan 28, 2015 at 06:06 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

I was in a similar spot recently looking for ultra-wide lenses for the 6D and D610; It was easier with Nikon cause they got the 18-35G for $750, whereas it seem to match that quality with Canon you have to spend >$1k.

For the 6D I went with the 17-40L, I paid a little more for a refurb but you could find one used for ~$500. That lens may not be the sharpest off-center but I really like it; probably above and beyond what you need--it's one thing if trees at the edge of a landscape shot get mushy, but will anyone notice if the corner of their wall isn't sharp? Then again, I don't shoot interiors so I'll leave it up to you to decide how important corner sharpness is to an a client.

Jan 28, 2015 at 07:15 PM
Tartan1749

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

For real estate photos in which the photos are onlline and usually reduced size/resolutions and/or print, a 17-40 is all you would need. You should be using a tripod (IS will be useless) for these shots as well as above f/8 (17-40 shortcomings are minimal at these apertures). For around $500, it will be hard to beat (although trying the Rokinon is tempting).

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:18 AM
alvit
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Interior Real Estate Lens on Full Frame - Recommendations?

5/7 shot in portrait mode and after Microsoft ICE

Jan 29, 2015 at 08:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.