Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

While the MP race continues on and we long for some future changes (still waiting) ... what Canon camera do you want in your bag for a "backup" or "second" camera, behind your "ideal" camera (whenever it becomes available)?

Edited on Jan 28, 2015 at 12:30 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2015 at 09:47 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

Sony A7R has become my main camera with the Canon 5D MkII as backup.

Edited on Jan 28, 2015 at 10:06 AM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2015 at 09:49 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

All 4 of my cameras are backups. They all get used and they all are the main and backups for my shooting style. Since I can't choose all of them in the survey, I will list them here.

1D4
1D3
5D3
7D2

My vote is "All" of these

Edited on Jan 28, 2015 at 12:06 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2015 at 09:53 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

I always want two of the same. Not interested in anything new, will hang on to my DR-disabled, MP-limited wretched pair of 5D III's.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:03 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

I have two different types of backup cameras. Well, they're not really backups, because I almost always shoot with two bodies at the same time, occasionally three. I shoot action and wildlife with a 1DX and 1DIV, and most other stuff with a pair of 6D. When I'm shooting BIF, I often use the 1DIV on 500/4L IS as my primary camera, and so the 1DX + 1.4x III is my backup.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:07 AM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

I have a 1DIV and a 5D III. Depending on the assignment, one or the other is the backup if that makes sense.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:20 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

I don't think of it in terms of primary and backup. Different shooting situations require different tools.

I use the 1D4 for action, a 5D2 for non-action and underwater, and an SL1 for when I want/need small and unobtrusive.

In an ideal world, I would have 2 of each..... I only manage to have 2 1D4s and only because the 2nd one was the deal of the century. I'm looking for a 2nd 5D2, but it needs to be another deal of the century to be worth it to me as a "backup"......

That said... with the exception of underwater (housings are model-specific) if any of the bodies I have crapped out, I could make do with one of the other ones in a pinch. I have no problems shooting BIF with the 5D2... not ideal, but certainly doable.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:20 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

I don't really have a "back-up". My two primary Canon bodies are 1Ds3 and 5D2, and I frequently shoot them together on tripod with a dual camera platform, different focal lengths. Otherwise, I choose based on weight and performance which will be my main camera (or sole camera). 5D2 without grip gets the nod for walk-about, 1Ds3 for more meditative (less walking).

Edging its way toward commercial use is my D800e, which is mainly limited at this time by limited lenses in my collection compared to the Canon system on hand. But I may be taking the D800e out as the second camera, or the primary if it proves out and I pick up a few more lenses. I love its higher MP imaging.

Looking forward to the rumored 5Ds, which could be a game changer for me. In that case, probably the D800e would go, as would the 5D2 (and maybe the 60D too). That would leave me the 5Ds, 1Ds3, and 1D3. Much simpler!

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:27 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

It really depends on the scenario for backup.

If i am shooting a wedding, then most likely the backup to the 1dx will be the 5diii.

if i am shooting wildlife then i'll have the 1dx mounted to one setup and the 7d2 mounted on another.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:29 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

All my bodies are X's and probably will remain so...

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Phazed
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

In my bag is a 70D so I guess I could call it my backup camera. I shoot mostly with my 6D and 7D2 depending on subject.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:36 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

my 5D2 rarely comes out of the bag since my 1DX totally rocks.
I do however use it with my wide angle for a different view during an assignment.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:45 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

Both my 5D2 and 5D3 take wonderful images, but the 5D3 gets more use now. I feel no need for more pixels.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:00 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

My backup is an EOS-M so I checked other. It is a very capable camera for non action work. It's like having a 7D that fits in my pocket.

I don't really use it much because I always have my primary camera for important shots and never use a lesser camera when its available. I bought it for emergency use. I loan it to my grandkids when they go out with me.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:04 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

My ideal camera is a 1DX II with more MPs and an improved AF system with more x-type points. FPS can remain at 12.

If I had that camera, I think my 1DX would be my backup. Right now I use either the 5D3 or 1D4 as my second camera to the 1DX. As others have mentioned, I also often use the 2nd one along side with a different lens and not just as backup.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:07 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

Where's the "none" option? Some of us poor amateurs can only afford one body....

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:10 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

15Bit wrote:
Where's the "none" option? Some of us poor amateurs can only afford one body....

Exactly what I was thinking. I have one old 40D. Tried unsuccessfully the 7D2.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

pjbuehner wrote:
I have a 1DIV and a 5D III. Depending on the assignment, one or the other is the backup if that makes sense.

Perfect sense to me.

That is essentially the same arrangement as my 1D II N and SLR/C ... one for go, one for show ... each playing second fiddle to the other if needed.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

15Bit wrote:

You can probably get a 1D II cheaper than a super-duper, mocha, frappe, latte, uber-grande cup of joe at Starbucks these days.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:28 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What do you use for your "backup" or "second" camera?

I don't think of my 2nd camera as a backup because they are both better at some things than the other one is. One is an awesome wildlife/sports body and the other is excellent for landscape/portrait work, so I usually choose the body best suited for the situation.

1DIV & 5DII.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.