Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2015 · What sensor resolution do you want?

alundeb
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · What sensor resolution do you want?

DmitriM wrote:
Pretty bad poll!! I had to vote 25-30 because there was no option 20-25. I don't need more than 25.

I know I am in the minority since all the "pros" here want 50mp for those billboard images of ducks,seaguls and backyard landscape photography

So many votes for the extremes indicate a too narrow range. There must be some fans of 12 MP still among us, and personally I would have voted for 100-200 MP for my hobbyist landscapes

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:14 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · What sensor resolution do you want?

alundeb wrote:
I would have voted for 100-200 MP for my hobbyist landscapes

At Sony disposal cost then why not, just bring it on. I voted 50MP + but with Sony/other/new tech

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:29 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · What sensor resolution do you want?

Well, the poll reveals what has been seen in many discussions earlier here - it depends on the style of photography which kind of sensor and camera specs are more important. It looks like that many still vested with canon focus on event/wedding/long tele lens photography where high resolution sensors with more DR are not too beneficial. The other group is interested in such high MP sensor for large prints, better cropping, better DR, better sharpness. I believe the second group has grown in size over the past three years, but many of them have already left Canon or added another camera system.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:48 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · What sensor resolution do you want?

sb in ak wrote:
I need my squirrel crops sharp. Lets go with 100MP.

Yes.

If from a specific sensor a self-portrait in the reflection of a squirrel's eye at 50' does not produce a result suitable for 8x10"s then that sensor is not worth producing.

Jan 29, 2015 at 01:42 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · What sensor resolution do you want?

retrofocus wrote:
I believe the second group has grown in size over the past three years, but many of them have already left Canon or added another camera system.

I'd love to see the details of your analysis here. How much has that group grown? Why are there only 2 groups in your system? How many have moved away from canon?

So much hot air on here being passed off as facts.

Jan 29, 2015 at 01:46 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · What sensor resolution do you want?

jctriguy wrote:
I'd love to see the details of your analysis here. How much has that group grown? Why are there only 2 groups in your system? How many have moved away from canon?

So much hot air on here being passed off as facts.

You see the 2 groups in the poll above - one wants more than 50 MP sensors, the other main group is satisfied with 25-30 MP.

You can easily see how many moved away from Canon by checking in the Sony forum. Many posted there threads like "Moving from Canon, which Sony A7 to get" or "Moving from 5D MkII/III to Sony" etc. Others are known fromer Canon users who are now mostly vested with Sony. The number is even big for a forum like this!

Jan 29, 2015 at 02:11 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · What sensor resolution do you want?

The number of photos over in the Sony forum that are clearly better than those in the Canon forum is staggering!

Jan 29, 2015 at 02:40 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · What sensor resolution do you want?

retrofocus wrote:
You see the 2 groups in the poll above - one wants more than 50 MP sensors, the other main group is satisfied with 25-30 MP.

You can easily see how many moved away from Canon by checking in the Sony forum. Many posted there threads like "Moving from Canon, which Sony A7 to get" or "Moving from 5D MkII/III to Sony" etc. Others are known fromer Canon users who are now mostly vested with Sony. The number is even big for a forum like this!

Thanks for confirming. Exactly what I expected

Jan 29, 2015 at 02:50 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · What sensor resolution do you want?

takowasa wrote:
My, how have times changed, when 20 MP is what's required for a snapshot.

Touche! I over stated that a little, didn't I?

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:50 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · What sensor resolution do you want?

alundeb wrote:
So many votes for the extremes indicate a too narrow range. There must be some fans of 12 MP still among us, and personally I would have voted for 100-200 MP for my hobbyist landscapes

100-200 MP is enough?

Why don't you value your work/images?

I mentioned in the first post that all those that wanted to could write in their request for 1GP resolution, which is what I think all my poorly composed, out of focus, skewed/distorted, and over exposed landscapes really deserve.

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:59 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · What sensor resolution do you want?

DmitriM wrote:
Pretty bad poll!! I had to vote 25-30 because there was no option 20-25. I don't need more than 25.

I know I am in the minority since all the "pros" here want 50mp for those billboard images of ducks,seaguls and backyard landscape photography

Yes, I started the poll at 25 because we've already covered the <25MP range with existing gear.

Besides, if Canon were to offer a 25MP body as the high resolution offering, they'd be a laughing stock.

Jan 29, 2015 at 05:05 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · What sensor resolution do you want?

jamesf99 wrote:
100-200 MP is enough?

Why don't you value your work/images?

I mentioned in the first post that all those that wanted to could write in their request for 1GP resolution, which is what I think all my poorly composed, out of focus, skewed/distorted, and over exposed landscapes really deserve.

I value my work, since I am not professional, I can make and print high resolution images just for the joy of it
It was just a fun remark to Dimitri who pokes us amateurs because professionals don't need more than 25
Beyond 200 MP will take 20 years to get to, with the current pace of resolution upgrades. Who knwos where I am then.

Jan 29, 2015 at 05:18 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · What sensor resolution do you want?

alundeb wrote:
I value my work, since I am not professional, I can make and print high resolution images just for the joy of it
It was just a fun remark to Dimitri who pokes us amateurs because professionals don't need more than 25
Beyond 200 MP will take 20 years to get to, with the current pace of resolution upgrades. Who knwos where I am then.

I was kidding you, too. Sorry if not clear...

Feb 02, 2015 at 03:00 PM
shirozina
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · What sensor resolution do you want?

Give me as many pixels and as much DR and bit depth at the capture stage as possible then let me decide how much of that I need to use in post production depending on the requirements of the final image use. Computers are cheap , storage is cheap - time is expensive.

Feb 02, 2015 at 03:50 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · What sensor resolution do you want?

shirozina wrote:
Give me as many pixels and as much DR and bit depth at the capture stage as possible then let me decide how much of that I need to use in post production depending on the requirements of the final image use. Computers are cheap , storage is cheap - time is expensive.

Ah dunno, the loaded workstation, monitor, apps and high speed redundant storage you'll need for a giganormus CMOS will hardly be cheap and cost close to the take home wages of the average Millennial.

Feb 02, 2015 at 04:25 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · What sensor resolution do you want?

18 MP will be good enough for moi.

Feb 02, 2015 at 04:48 PM
shirozina
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · What sensor resolution do you want?

Gochugogi wrote:
Ah dunno, the loaded workstation, monitor, apps and high speed redundant storage you'll need for a giganormus CMOS will hardly be cheap and cost close to the take home wages of the average Millennial.

No one will force you to buy this camera.

Feb 02, 2015 at 05:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · What sensor resolution do you want?

Gochugogi wrote:
Ah dunno, ...

shirozina wrote:

Yes, sombody will force him to buy this camera. I will force him to buy this camera!

No one expects the Canadian Inquisition!

I will appear as if from nowhere, and force Peter to buy a 5DsR. My chief weapon will be fear and surprise!... My two chief weapons will be fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency!... My three chief weapons will be fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and a near fanatical devotion to the Brand!...

Umm, I'll come in again.

Bring me the rack!

[insincere apologies to MP]

Feb 02, 2015 at 05:18 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · What sensor resolution do you want?

shirozina wrote:

Luckily I'm not a Millennial! But don't kid yourself. It will be expensive--more walls to hang pictures, larger room for computer, etc.--but I have time galore. I'm pretty sure my wife will force me to buy it and a new build-to-order MacPro, and with jcolwell egging me on, how can I resist?

Feb 02, 2015 at 08:44 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · What sensor resolution do you want?

The updated vote totals - 25-30 MP now has a plurality - suggest a new partisan conspiracy theory:
Nikon/Sony aficionados are voting for this category in an attempt to keep Canon's highest MP offering below the current 36 MP Sony sensor.

I don't even remember if I wrote anything here way back when I voted (for 50+ with new tech), but 50 MP - I'm in! Even if I can't afford to upgrade computer systems and it strains my hardware running Lightroom and Photoshop...I'll not use the high res body for sports, and I'll do a lot more deleting in camera if I have to. Or more likely, because storage is pretty cheap already, I'll just be choosier about what gets selected for editing time.

Feb 02, 2015 at 09:03 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.