New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

I'm in the beginning stages of putting a trip together to this area. My actual trip departure time right now is flexible, as long as it is after June 10th. I would love to be able to be there when balsam root and lupine are blooming and when there is still plenty of snow on the mountains. Even so, I do understand that the correct answer is "it depends," but right now I do not even have a clear window as to when the approximate times may be. Would love to have some input from those that are familiar with the area. And while I am at it, would love to know the elevations as well. Sort of a "blooms in the valleys in mid to late June" kind of answer. And is it reasonable to think that I can find these plants blooming later at higher elevations?

Right now I am looking to stay in Jackson Hole - primarily because it seems to be the most proximate location that has hotels and whatnot - although it looks to be a very expensive place. Can anyone recommend specific lodging or other towns/lodging that is reasonable? I've checked and most of the park lodging appears to already booked - although it would depend on when I went.

And since I am trying to reach out to those of you who are more familiar with the area - any thoughts about snow conditions now as a predictor for an early or late spring? I see all sorts of varying info on the web - some places are higher than normal, others are below normal. And does this mean anything as to how quickly the snow will melt off - in the context of predicting an early or late spring?

Appreciate any info you may have.

Thanks,
Jim

Jan 28, 2015 at 08:34 AM
nma
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

Early June means a lot of snow on the trails at elevations of 6,000 ft and above. Recommend looking for accommodation (B&B) off the Wilson-Moose Road, near the ski area. This has advantage of being much closer to the Park than JH. Possibly cheaper. Some restaurants.

Don't know about the flowers.

Jan 29, 2015 at 06:03 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

Thanks nma. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:48 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

Livingston, Montana, is a decent alternative that might be worth a night or two. It's far less tacky and expensive than Jackson or - even worse - West Yellowstone. The hour drive to the north entrance is lovely.

Gardiner is closer, and will no doubt be more spendy, but is still small enough to be quiet and pleasant. (At least it was the last time I was there.)

A number of YS campgrounds are first-come, although many won't be open so early in the year. More camping available in just about any direction, in the Nat Forest surrounding the park. There are numerous camp grounds, developed and primitive, in the lovely area N and E of Jackson. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/fishlake/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5121831

I'd also suggest you delay a week, planning to miss as much snow as possible, but still beat the peak-of-summer crowd. Check the Yellowstone NPS site to see when various roads and destinations open for the year.

Jan 30, 2015 at 02:24 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

Thanks Greg.

Feb 02, 2015 at 08:05 AM
pompeio
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

My wife and I stayed at Jackson Hole's Ranch Inn this past September/October. We will definitely stay there when we return to the area. The price was reasonable, the room exceptionally clean and a lot nicer than I anticipated. Numerous restaurants within walking distance and close to the Tetons.

Feb 05, 2015 at 10:03 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

Thanks pompeio.

Feb 06, 2015 at 08:06 AM
colinr
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

Look for the Chapel of the Transfiguration - this is a country church north of JH in a very beautiful setting - go inside stunning view from large church window is impressive - a quick google will show you what to expect

This wooden church is close to main road and easy to access

another 'interesting' photo study is the 'split rail fences' in this area

Feb 07, 2015 at 04:26 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

Thanks colinr.

Feb 07, 2015 at 08:02 AM
paulkris
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

Spring can be a crap shoot as far as weather. The later in June that you go, the better the chance for decent trails.
I agree with the poster who suggested staying in the Wilson area. There are many VRBO choices there as well as a great B and B; the Wildflower Inn.

Here's a great hike; Bradley and Taggart Lakes. It's a loop with moderate elevation change and takes you to two different alpine lakes with great mountain views.

Feb 07, 2015 at 09:54 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

Thanks Paul. I have comitted to going 6/16 through 6/23. I will definitely check out hat hike.

Feb 07, 2015 at 10:24 AM
paulkris
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

You should be fine on most of the trails. There are a few that will have deep and rotten snow, though. The boat trip across Jenny Lake is lots of fun but the trail up to Hidden Falls may be a little tough. Check with the boat people before going over.

Feb 07, 2015 at 05:23 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

Thanks paulkris. The hidden falls hike is on my schedule. Just hoping there will still be some balsamroot and lupine left.

Feb 07, 2015 at 06:49 PM
jbledsoe
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

IMO you'll be happy with this. We found that while its a bit late for babies, it at the transition from rainy to sunny. Whereas we love the first two weeks in June, it rained much of the time every year we went. Your week also seems right before the big herds arrive. Herds of tourists that is.

We've went many times and didn't have issues with lodging, especially this late.

Of course we haven't been there last couple years, but can't imagine it changed much. We also didn't think the rates were terrible, not like peak season. That's Jackson, West Y. and Gardiner. In fact we found it much easier to wander town to find the best place if you're there just outside the peak season as everyone is open but not enough customers to fill up, er... Buyers market for selection.

JB

JimKied wrote:
Thanks Paul. I have comitted to going 6/16 through 6/23. I will definitely check out hat hike.

Feb 08, 2015 at 04:38 AM
Charlie San
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

Last year Living Social (or maybe Groupon) had an offer to stay at the Jackson Lake Lodge at the end of May/June for half the normal cost. The weather was warm so we grabbed the deal and stayed several days after the opening weekend. Afterward we spent several days in Yellowstone. We are hoping that they have this offer again.

Perhaps not the perfect time to stay for those wanting to hike and photograph up many of the trails but wonderful in the sense of fewer people. It was warm but, of course, many of the roads and trails remained closed in both parks until the official opening dates, a bit frustrating considering how warm it got last year. In YP it was in the 70's and most of the snow was gone after a few days. And, there were many foreign tourists in the areas and on the trails that were open. Overall it was a nice stay and one we would do again if they should offer it again. It was so nice to try many of the fine restaurants in the park without the crowds and explore many places we normally avoid when crowded.

Feb 08, 2015 at 10:35 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

tag for ref

Feb 08, 2015 at 08:27 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

Thanks jbledsoe and msoomro. My choice for the end of June was largely decided because I wanted to avoid large groups of people. However, hotel reservations have been problematic. Not that we could not get them, but some of our 1st and even 2nd choices were already booked up. So it looks like there will be quite a bit of human activity.

I'm still hoping to get some input on wildflower blooming - especially balsam root, lupine, etc. Anyone have any observations as to whether or not they will be blooming around that time?

Feb 08, 2015 at 08:46 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

My wife and I went out there at the end of June back in 2009. We saw a lot of the followers you are seeking right out in front of the Tetons. We didn't have time to do any hiking on the back trials however so no clue as to what might have been out there. It was an amazing experience standing in the mist of such a beautiful place. I'm also considering booking another trip out there this summer so I know what you mean about places getting booked up already.

Here are a few rough images I took while we were there. Please don't judge/rank these photo's as they were taken well before I started to seriously get into photography. Not that I'm any better now.

Feb 12, 2015 at 01:57 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

lighthound - you made my day. While I know it varies from year to year, that is very gratifying to see those kind of images taken during the period I will be going. Thanks!!

Feb 12, 2015 at 02:03 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in the Spring

You're welcome, glad they helped a little but like you said... year to year...
I hope you have a fantastic trip.

Feb 12, 2015 at 02:32 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.