Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Jewlery Pictures

Tokash23

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jewlery Pictures

Wasn't quite sure where to post this but i am an amateur photographer and have a reoccuring job at a jewlery store taking pictures for advertising and various types of marketing. Really i am just looking for a little advice as to what sort of lens would make my pictures come out a little better. I am using a canon 7D and was using my general purpose 28-200mm f/3.5. Also tried the stock 18-55mm that came with the camera and a macro magnifying attachment bu't still think the pictures come out a touch fuzzy. Anyways just curious to see what any of you guys would use.

Jan 27, 2015 at 03:40 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jewlery Pictures

Jewlery?

Jan 27, 2015 at 03:46 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jewlery Pictures

Tokash23 wrote:
Wasn't quite sure where to post this but i am an amateur photographer and have a reoccuring job at a jewlery store taking pictures for advertising and various types of marketing. Really i am just looking for a little advice as to what sort of lens would make my pictures come out a little better. I am using a canon 7D and was using my general purpose 28-200mm f/3.5. Also tried the stock 18-55mm that came with the camera and a macro magnifying attachment bu't still think the pictures come out a touch fuzzy. Anyways just curious to see what
...Show more

Get the Canon 100 mm macro and shoot at f8-11

Jan 27, 2015 at 03:49 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jewlery Pictures

MRomine wrote:
Get the Canon 100 mm macro and shoot at f8-11

That would be a good place to start. Also, shoot from a tripod if possible. Be very mindful of what you have showing up on reflective surfaces. What are you using for lighting?

Jan 27, 2015 at 04:44 PM
Tokash23

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jewlery Pictures

Over heads in the store for lighting. Definitely makes it difficult for different things; I haven't tried using an external flash that's an interesting idea. Most of the pictures I am taking are of rings in ring boxes on a black surface. The main problem I have is getting a point of focus because some of the rings are so "busy". When I get home tonight I can load some of the pictures I was taking and show what im getting done.

Jan 29, 2015 at 08:25 AM
vraspa
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jewlery Pictures

You might want to look into a small portable light tent. They come with built in balanced soft lighting and produce great results.

Jan 29, 2015 at 08:49 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jewlery Pictures

Tokash23 wrote:

The main problem I have is getting a point of focus because some of the rings are so "busy".

Not sure exactly what you mean here. The point where you want to focus winds up out of focus?

Jan 29, 2015 at 08:50 AM
Tokash23

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jewlery Pictures

In a sense yea, but like you pointed out a tripod would most certainly help solve some of my problems with clarity. I have been manually focusing these pictures without a tripod which is tough to do. I like the idea of the 100mm macro and maybe a flash ring to go along with it.

Jan 29, 2015 at 09:09 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jewlery Pictures

Tokash23 wrote:

I have been manually focusing these pictures without a tripod which is tough to do.

For my jewelry shots I'm using a tripod, extension tubes, and manual focus using liveview.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:16 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jewlery Pictures

It might be helpful to show images that you've gotten with your current setup. That would give us a better point of reference to make suggestions.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:28 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jewlery Pictures

Macro lens, manual focus. I like how an LED panel adds lots of sparkles...

Paul

Jan 29, 2015 at 01:20 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Jewlery Pictures

I would invest in the 100L.
Why? the IS will sink with the 7D.

The non L will work too.

Plus, the 7D is a cropper so f8 is not a necessity. F5.6 up to f8 should work nicely

Depending on your light source, I would also switch between spot and the small spot for AF focus points.

Have the 7D as a back up camera. I use to use as my main camera.
The 100mm + 7D is a nice combination.

-Mark

Jan 29, 2015 at 02:32 PM
Tokash23

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Jewlery Pictures

right on thanks for the input everybody. ill see if i can get some pictures loaded on here in a bit. be gentle im still learnin lol

Jan 29, 2015 at 03:39 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Jewlery Pictures

D. Diggler wrote:
For my jewelry shots I'm using a tripod, extension tubes, and manual focus using liveview.

Won't you have a really shallow depth of field using the extension tubes?

Jan 30, 2015 at 06:54 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Jewlery Pictures

friscoron wrote:

For my jewelry shots I'm using a tripod, extension tubes

Won't you have a really shallow depth of field using the extension tubes?

Would the depth of field be any different than using a macro lens?

I often stop the lens down to f/16 or f/22 to get more depth of field.

Jan 30, 2015 at 07:06 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.