New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Disney Hall

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Disney Hall

Every once in a while I go downtown and shoot this building, usually on a holiday so there's little or no traffic, human or otherwise. This one was an experiment to show and whole damned thing, but shot with a multi shot stitch with a Canon 24 T/S-E II, probably at least nine - center, left, right, up and down. That yielded too wide an image, which was then cropped as needed. And no, you'll never something like this straight out of camera. In addition to the stitched frames, each section is made from a full exposure bracket as well and the planes are individually selected and adjusted for color, tone and separation as well.

Second shot in black and white, also to show just how critical camera placement is for avoiding tangencies

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:44 PM
jgoetz4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Disney Hall

You put a lot of work in these shots. Nicely done

Jan 27, 2015 at 07:07 AM
vilimo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Disney Hall

Great shots! Really like the first one!

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:57 AM
JcarPhoto

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Disney Hall

stunning work

Jan 29, 2015 at 07:36 PM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Disney Hall

Very nice work! The first one is my favorite. Just beautiful. It is funny that I have lived here in So Cal the whole time this building has existed, and have never even seen it other than in pictures.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:35 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Disney Hall

Dude.

Jan 31, 2015 at 03:08 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Disney Hall

Abides

Jan 31, 2015 at 04:08 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Disney Hall

So do you have a tripod collar on your 24 so you can accomplish the 3x3 stitch (shifting the camera instead of the lens), or do you have some other sort of wizard trick to do that?

Jan 31, 2015 at 05:35 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Disney Hall

Fast6 - I actually do have the collar from Stefan Steib in Germany, and paid something like $650 for it, but I never use it. It's just too cumbersome and slows me down to much, plus it mars up the lens - it should have teflon pads instead of anodized aluminum. It's simply much much faster for me sliding the camera in the tripod mount. I have a RRS L bracket and start with the centerline marker aligned to the center marker on the RRS clamp. I have both the lever clamps and the screw clamps and now prefer the screw clamps for this type of image. The clamp is marked at one and two centimeters. I have a piece of tape at the twelve millimeter mark on both sides. Shoot center. Shift lens 12 mm right, slide camera 12 mm left. Shift lens all the way the other direction and slide camera 24mm to compensate. It's exactly the same as using a rear shift on a view camera or technical camera, and the process described here is much more complicated to explain than to actually do. If you're shooting a horizontally framed vertical stitch, you then have to turn the tripod head 90 degrees and mount the camera using the L part of the bracket, then slide the camera up and down. Once you do it a couple of times it's pretty much second nature. You just have to remember to shift the camera in the opposite direction of the lens. I rented out my Zeiss 35 PC lens last year to another photographer, gave him a demonstration of how to do this and he did it backwards and ended up with a bit of a parallax problem.

Jan 31, 2015 at 05:56 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.