FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

kbarrera
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

I'm posting this as an FYI only. While the quality of these shots is not the best, the story is pretty interesting.
This past Sunday morning I was at the observation deck which is behind one of the most upscale shopping centers in the New York area. Riverside Square is home to Sach's, Bloomingdales and other high end stores, and celebrity sightings are quite common. Most of the shoppers are oblivious to the fact that there are Bald Eagles within fifty yards of the parking lots. This past Sunday I was photographing some of the adults that were feeding on the River at low tide. When I got home and began my PP I noticed that this bird had a NY state band P-13. It turns out this bird was photographed by Jeff Crawn up at the Delaware River Region. Its a pretty good bet that Herb Houghton has some shots of this bird also as far back as five years. Its incredible to me that now there are NY state birds wintering in this area.

Al

Jan 26, 2015 at 07:56 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

As you know Al, there's no tax on clothing in NJ so its pretty obvious why all the classy birds come here to do their shopping. Neat observation and maybe I won't complain the next time I'm asked to go shopping...although I don't typically go to that mall.
Eric

Jan 26, 2015 at 08:10 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

eyelaser wrote:
As you know Al, there's no tax on clothing in NJ so its pretty obvious why all the classy birds come here to do their shopping. Neat observation and maybe I won't complain the next time I'm asked to go shopping...although I don't typically go to that mall.
Eric

Eric
Don't forget......they come here to buy gas too. 😊 I think it's insane that these birds would leave the Delaware region to roost and feed in this area. According to the certificate it was banded in 2005 making it ten years old.
Here's the certificate that was provided to Jeff Crawn who photographed it up at the Mongaup Reservoir.

Al

Jan 26, 2015 at 08:39 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

kbarrera wrote:
Eric
Don't forget......they come here to buy gas too. 😊 I think it's insane that these birds would leave the Delaware region to roost and feed in this area. According to the certificate it was banded in 2005 making it ten years old.
Here's the certificate that was provided to Jeff Crawn who photographed it up at the Mongaup Reservoir.

Al

Damn, where do they keep that certificate...do the guy eagles carry a murse?
Yes, no sales tax on clothing and not having to pump your own gas....what could be closer to heaven than that.
Eric

Jan 26, 2015 at 09:27 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

Nice find Al. I actually do have several hundred shots of this individual from Jan/Feb 2010. My pp was lacking then, so here's a new edit of him from 5 years ago. He's at least 11years old now, as it was a nestling 2004 or earlier.
The Delaware River freezes much sooner as it's less brackish. The Hudson stays open longer as it's brackish 50-60 miles up river still. I've seen many NY banded eagles on the Hudson on super cold winters.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:25 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

Herb Houghton wrote:
Nice find Al. I actually do have several hundred shots of this individual from Jan/Feb 2010. My pp was lacking then, so here's a new edit of him from 5 years ago. He's at least 11years old now, as it was a nestling 2004 or earlier.
The Delaware River freezes much sooner as it's less brackish. The Hudson stays open longer as it's brackish 50-60 miles up river still. I've seen many NY banded eagles on the Hudson on super cold winters.

Thanks Herb.
I knew if Jeff Crawn had shots, you did too. I think we all must have photographed this bird at one time or another. The thing that has me puzzled Is that.....the area up by the Reservoirs in Sullivan County has plenty of food and open water. The mature birds should be getting ready to nest and would be staying close to home. I could almost understand them moving east to the Hudson, but this guy was at the Hackensack River by Riverside Square. He's also roosting at the Oradell Reservoir. That's crazy. It appears he's at least 11 years old.

Thanks for the shots.

Al

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:16 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

Cool!

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

While not quite so "up-scale," you can sit in McDonald's in Sitka, Alaska and watch the Eagles in the parking lot outside the windoe as you munch on what is purported to be a hamburger! :-)

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:13 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

Jim McCann wrote:
While not quite so "up-scale," you can sit in McDonald's in Sitka, Alaska and watch the Eagles in the parking lot outside the windoe as you munch on what is purported to be a hamburger! :-)

Jim
The difference here is that.....most of the " city slickers" that shop at Riverside Mall, probably don't know what a Bald Eagle looks like.😀

Al

Jan 27, 2015 at 06:56 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

Nice to know they're hanging out in upscale neighborhoods...probably make the rent go up though. Glad to see them in N.Y.

Jan 27, 2015 at 07:39 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

ScottHM wrote:
Nice to know they're hanging out in upscale neighborhoods...probably make the rent go up though. Glad to see them in N.Y.

Scott
You'd be surprised how much wildlife there is in the five boroughs. My son sent me a video he took from his squad car near Tremont Ave in The Bronx where a chicken and a RedTail were playing peek-a-boo. The chicken lost. Then there was the coyote call in Van Cortland park. The other day, I was on the Henry Hudson and saw two Eagles heading north up the Hudson. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Al

Jan 28, 2015 at 07:05 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

Very nice story and pictures Al.

Marcelo

Jan 28, 2015 at 08:16 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Yorkers Shopping at Riverside Square

Lightsearcher wrote:
Very nice story and pictures Al.

Marcelo

Thanks Marcelo

Al

Jan 28, 2015 at 09:41 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.