New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

jim allison
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

I'm just curious to learn the impact of Sigma on Nikon lens sales relative to Canon lens sales. I seem to see more Sigma lenses for sale in Nikon mount of the BS board and I wonder if that is true or just a mispersception.
I'm posting this in both Canon and Nikon forums.

Jan 26, 2015 at 06:39 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

canon are selling heaps of lenses. Making a good range of solid new lenses too.

Sigma are doing ok with their new line(s) - seem to have shrugged off a little of the 'stigma' moniker but not all of it.

Apart from a select few sigma lenses you would be crazy (as a working pro) to shoot sigma on canon instead of OEM.

Jan 26, 2015 at 06:52 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

I'm loving my sigma lenses. The 35 art, once mfa'd, is absolutely stunning. The 120-300 os as well. Spectacular.

I wish they made a 500 or 600 f4 lens with IS. I'd sell my 500ii in a heartbeat. I'm not a pro, so I can deal with a few of the compromises third party lenses offer.

Jan 26, 2015 at 07:48 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

I agree with you Rob. I think Sigma has much more to offer the Nikon shooter.

Jan 26, 2015 at 08:04 PM
subjectochange
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

I use Canon, Sigma, and Zeiss lenses. I prefer the Sigma Art primes to their Canon counterparts for general photography, as the resolution and optical correction is superior; however the Canon 50L and 35L do have a slight - very slight - edge for bokeh, and perhaps color reproduction. It's not enough for me to keep my 50L though, especially with its AF liabilities and focus shift (much worse than the Sigma), so I'm selling it soon.

I love my other Canon lenses though, especially the zooms: 24-70 II and 70-200 II. While I enjoy Sigma's current offerings, I don't think there are too many other lens categories where Sigma would win my affection over the current Canon (or Zeiss).

Jan 26, 2015 at 08:08 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

I use Canon, Zeiss, Pentax, Leica, Mamiya, Nikon, Fujifilm, and other lenses. No Sigma. I can't say that I prefer Canon, and so I can't vote in your poll.

Jan 26, 2015 at 08:14 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

I use both Canon and Sigma lenses. My 2001 70-200 2.8 EX HSM is still sharp as a tack and on to it's third Canon camera. In the mean time I've gone through two 50mm 1.8s and had to do a major rebuild on the 100-400L. I figure out what focal lengths I need and then look at performance vs price. I prefer Canon lenses but I'll buy what makes good purchasing sense for my needs even if it's not Canon. Tamron lenses have served my well as well.

Jan 27, 2015 at 07:16 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

3rd party (not just sigma) are best when they are either much cheaper than the OEM version or offer something thats not offered by OEM .

I have a 120-300 OS (non S) thats sharp as a 70-200 mk2 (Probably give a 300L a run as well) while it cost me way less than I would ever get a 300L for . ('tis a hulk though )

Jan 27, 2015 at 07:32 AM

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

Not everyone feels the need to pay top dollar for the best & greatest. A lot of working pros I know are using Sigma lenses (12-24, 70-200, and the local Reuters guy is whacking away with his 14/2.8 - a year or so ago I saw him use it on a new 1D X, so apparently he's not constrained financially). I know he could afford a 14/2.8 L II at 3x the price if he got a 1D X, but he chose not to.

That said, the newer lenses seemingly leave nothing to be desired so the price argument is no longer relevant (even though the lenses are still cheaper than the OEM). If I had needed a 35/1.4, I would have looked not once at the 35L, going straight for the 35A.

But bear in mind that the tradition of providing unique and high-quality lenses is not new to Sigma: the first iterations of their 12-24 and 120-300 date back at least a decade. Then again, all manufacturers seem to be improving the general quality of their offerings. Why doesn't anybody remember dozens of horrible kit lenses that Canon used to churn out - all those 28-90, 35-80, 28-105, 75-300 plastic turds (all with f/4-5.6 aperture or so) before descending upon Sigma with a vengeance?

I'm only using the L lenses because when I was buying there were no viable alternatives (for one, there still isn't), not because I'm a slave of the red stripe.

Edited by Guest on Jan 27, 2015 at 08:56 AM · View previous versions

Jan 27, 2015 at 07:45 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

hmm... a poll asking about multiple brands and usage preference yet posted the Canon forum section and the results so far indicate Canon.

Didn't see that one coming...

Jan 27, 2015 at 08:00 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

I prefer Canon, but am happy to use Sigma, Tamron, Sony, zeiss and many other manufacturers.

Jan 27, 2015 at 09:54 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

I have all sorts of lenses from numerous manufactures, each fitting a different need. I don't worry myself as to what the name is on the lens, but more it's features and function.

Jan 27, 2015 at 09:58 AM
billsnature
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

Love Sigma macros 100mm, 150, and 180mm. but like Canon and Nikon zooms better.

For big glass (500mm 600mm) Canon rules

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:06 AM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma VS OEM lenses

I own two Sigmas the 35mm Art and 50mm Art. I prefer both to the Canon versions. If I was to buy a 24-105, it would be the Sigma. However my love affair ends there. Canon makes some dandy lenses and I’ve owned 15 Canons over the years. This informal survey shows that around half of the photographers have tried and like at least one Sigma. Obviously that is taking some business away from Canon, but it is far from life threatening. The “old” Sigma lenses don’t really compete with Canon because they are at a lower price point. The real threat is with Art lenses reducing sales of L lenses. Still, I’d be surprised if Sigma reduces Canon sales by more than 2%.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:27 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.