Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Lenscoats or wraps????

cowski54

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lenscoats or wraps????

Does anyone have anysuggestions for lens wraps or lenscoats?? Looking to possibly purchase for canon 70-200mm non is 2.8....please let me know if there is any suggestions...thanks cowski54

Jan 26, 2015 at 05:07 PM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lenscoats or wraps????

Well, I'll jump in and offer the simple and most obvious answer. Yes, I use Lenscoats on my lenses, mostly to keep them quiet and to protect them.

Jan 26, 2015 at 05:38 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lenscoats or wraps????

I use a DIY lens coat on my 70-200 f2.8L made from cheap, thin, black notebook case neoprene.

Measure, draw and cut paper templates, cut the neoprene, a little adhesive on the ends to bond, wait an hour, stitch with heavy black thread.

Just make them a little tighter than the paper templates/measurements suggest so that they are tight(er) on the lens barrel.

Jan 26, 2015 at 06:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lenscoats or wraps????

I use LensCoat covers on my big lenses, but nothing on my 'small' lenses, like a 70-200/2.8L. OTOH, I put my lenses in Op/Tech Snoot Boots (neoprene lens bags) when I pack them in a bag or pack, because I don't use dividers.

The main reason that I use LensCoats on my big lenses is to protect them when I put them down on, especially on 'hostile' surfaces like gravel. Basically, they're heavy enough to scratch themselves, under their own weight. Smaller lenses generally don't do that.

Jan 26, 2015 at 06:27 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lenscoats or wraps????

I use Lenscoat; DigiCamo, on my longer 'white' lenses 70-200 and 300 mostly for protection purposes. I'm not sure if they help lessen the staring that white lens's get, sometimes the camo seems to draw attention as well...then again it could be my power wheelchair or my longest hair n beard that are keys

Jan 26, 2015 at 06:33 PM
HarveyGold
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lenscoats or wraps????

I used lenscoats on my big whites but don't bother on the 70-200 or new 100-400 as I don't think there is enough exposed white to warrant covering it.

Jan 26, 2015 at 07:14 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lenscoats or wraps????

On the bigger lenses they offer protection as mentioned but with the smaller lenses depending on the model a neoprene wrap sometimes offers very little. Especially the ones that change shape to zoom or have retractable hoods. I have a lenscoat wrap on my 600 but not on any other lenses it just didn't seem worth it.

Jan 26, 2015 at 07:17 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lenscoats or wraps????

I used to use Lens Coat on a 70-200, but I've taken it off piece by piece over the years.

1. The first piece to go was the piece I never put on, around the lens collar.

2. The second piece to go was the piece between the lens mount and the lens collar, so that I could more easily remove and replace the lens collar. Sometimes I need it. Sometimes I don't.

3. The third piece to go was over the lens hood, because that piece interfered with the fit of the lens within it's storage pouch with the hood reversed. Like jcolwell, I don't use padded dividers, but rather keep each piece of gear in it's very own pouch, so I don't have to reconfigure velcroed dividers when I reconfigure what gear I take. I also don't use the Canon pouch, because I found a third party pouch to be more robust, since I don't have dividers.

4. The fourth piece to go was long debated. It was the piece over the switches. I really liked the idea of the clear cover over the switches, as it presumably would deflect and shed away any rain drops and dust from working their way into the seams surrounding the switches. It would also help prevent the switch settings from getting inadvertently bumped or changed. Unlike home made lens covers, the Lens Coat versions at least have a clear window sewn into the piece that covers the switch part of the lens, enabling you to see the status of the switches, and even toggle the switches by directly applying pressure through the clear covering to move the switches where needed. And therein lies the rub. It was getting too difficult to move the switches by feel, without removing the camera from my eye and actually look at what I was fiddling with. Canon makes the switches feel slightly differently, so they can be operated without looking at them. But with the clear cover over the switches, they all feel the same. I found that I wasn't maximizing the capabilities of the lens (reducing or expanding the focusing range, switching the type of IS, etc) due to the cover being in place. I finally ditched the piece though, and was both sad and happy to see it gone.

5. The fifth piece was removed simply because all of the other companion pieces were already gone, so what was the point of having one remaining piece on there?

Hence, no more Lens Coat for me for the 70-200. Most of that lens is covered in wide dark gray rubber zoom and focusing rings anyway. And as far as disguise goes, do people REALLY think that a bird or an animal can't see them in their digital camo or their real tree prints? Seriously? I give wildlife a little more credit than that.

Jan 26, 2015 at 07:50 PM
nwlight

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lenscoats or wraps????

Lens Coat for me on all of my birding lenses. As far as camo goes, yes I noticed a difference. Early on, I mostly shot with the 400 f/5.6L with a Lens Coat and camo. One day, I took out my bare 100-400L to compare. Every time I made a sudden movement, I noticed the ducks turning away. It wasn't until later that it occurred to me it was the camo wrap.

Are the ducks dumb? I don't think so. However, if I saw a flash of white moving out of the corner of my eye, it might catch my attention a lot more than something that was camouflaged.

Very anecdotal and a one time experience. However, since I need the protection anyway, I might as well get camo just in case.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:18 AM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lenscoats or wraps????

Really comes down to personal preference

With that said, I made my own lens coat with neoprene as I didn't like the color options, plastic covering the switches/buttons and the price from "lenscoat". The neoprene does not stay put well on lenses that have tapered hoods or tapered collars, etc, unless you want to glue it in place.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:51 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lenscoats or wraps????

I have LensCoats (Camo) on 500 and 300 but not anything else - but the previous comments on Snoot Boots as re-arranging the dividers is a pain!
Niall

Jan 27, 2015 at 04:43 AM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lenscoats or wraps????

The camo patterns are not meant to be cloak of invisibility. However, they do give a big white lens a much less obtrusive quality in the field. Weather it is a wild animal that stays around longer and gets a bit closer or curbs a curious looky loo from coming over and disturbing your subject. They are a real help for nature shooters that shoot those glowing white lenses, in the non snowy months anyway.

Jan 29, 2015 at 09:03 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lenscoats or wraps????

I don't bother with them at all.... but then again, the critters I shoot don't benefit much from camo... i.e. not much waterfowl in my portfolio. That and I see too many people struggling with them in the field when they slip, etc.....

I don't think they offer much added protection for lenses built like tanks to begin with.... maybe for the finish if one cares about these things.....

TEHO = To Each His Own.

Jan 29, 2015 at 09:44 AM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lenscoats or wraps????

fail to see the point of wraps.
the bird knows you are a human in cammo with a cammo'd lens.

I use white touch up paint if the lens hood gets a paint blemish.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:24 AM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lenscoats or wraps????

I guess it has a lot to do with not only what you shoot but were. A habituated animal in a park not so much but a wild animal in the wilderness area it really does help, me anyway. As far as protection, yeah, they only help with the cosmetic stuff.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:12 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lenscoats or wraps????

Lenscoat on my 600 and 300 to prevent scratches. I lay my gear down, especially during football season and don't want it all scratched up.

Whether it provides camo or not effectively don't know, but it definitely helps keep the value of the lens and that's a fact. Some may not care about the condition of their gear, I do. I like to take care of my stuff and not just camera stuff; all my stuff. Paid too much good money to just let it look like crap. Just me.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.