Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Winter's Closing

Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Winter's Closing

This image taken in my back yard playground of the Canadian Rockies represents another early winter moment. Brief, although not quite as short lived compared to the conditions in my previous shot "From the Mists". This section of the Rockies is continually much cooler then the surrounding areas throughout the year, mainly due to the enormous glacier which rests on top of the peaks. Even in the middle of summer you can constantly feel cold air pouring off the mountains throughout the day. Because of this fact, this area is the first to freeze and be covered with snow. This winter all of the surrounding glacial ponds and streams were turned into a featureless white blanket within 3 days of our first big snow, making for a limited amount of time available to capture interesting images. Just as the creeping white of winter started closing in on the surrounding landscape, the intense cold formed many beautiful ice sculptures lining the water's edge. Luckily our timing here was perfect on this -30 celsius late afternoon.

What makes this image just a little more interesting to me is that the main formation pictured here is not a stand alone mountain at all. It is actually the remaining stone resting between 2 huge glacier tongues which carved out it's shape. Over the course of 2014 I spent over 2 weeks camping in this area, and not once did I ever point my camera in this direction prior to this outing. The only thing that made this scene shootable is how the towering walls of stone and ice behind have been shrouded in atmospheric light and cloud, fully isolating this formation. In photography sometimes all the preparation and scouting in the world will be thrown out the window when the time comes to capture a final image. This happens more often then not during winter photography if I am perfectly honest, but that is half the fun of it!

Anyways, thank you all for viewing and reading. Now that I am back home I am looking forward to releasing more fresh images, many featuring more unique formations of the cold!

Jan 26, 2015 at 01:27 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Winter's Closing

That is one hell of a backyard! pretty prime real estate, except heating must suck :P

What can I say since all the images you post is always awesome. front to back is inviting and spectacular. The shrouded cloud and lighting really does make the scene.

Where are the moar hoar frost?!

Jason

Jan 26, 2015 at 01:41 PM
andrew perkins
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Winter's Closing

Man, what an amazing image!

Jan 26, 2015 at 01:58 PM
JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Winter's Closing

All of a sudden I felt a chilly blast of air down here in North Florida! Brrrr! This image is killer - so crisp and the light is fantastic! Love it!

Jan 26, 2015 at 01:58 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Winter's Closing

Justin,
That's fantastic light and composition.
Extra points for braving -30C

Sasha.

Jan 26, 2015 at 01:59 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Winter's Closing

roguecoolman wrote:
That is one hell of a backyard! pretty prime real estate, except heating must suck :P

What can I say since all the images you post is always awesome. front to back is inviting and spectacular. The shrouded cloud and lighting really does make the scene.

Where are the moar hoar frost?!

Jason

Thanks Jason. Haha, no way I would want to live right here. The closest Tim Horton's is almost 2 hours away, and people who know me well can tell you how addicted I am to it. Frost to come soon, along with some thin ice formations, icicles, and possibly bubbles if all goes well in a couple weeks when I head back out

Jan 26, 2015 at 02:06 PM
berenosphoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Winter's Closing

Fantastic shot Justin. Love how the stream leads straight to the mountain. The low position works really well, and the light is sublime.

Jan 26, 2015 at 03:31 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Winter's Closing

Top notch Justin! Thanks for sharing!

Jan 26, 2015 at 06:39 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Winter's Closing

Terrific shot Justin.
Harsha

Jan 26, 2015 at 07:07 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Winter's Closing

Justin, I would definitely call you a new generation photographer. I love that about your work! Your attention to detail is awesome! It was very inspiring working with you that one time. Keep it up! And don't ever let anyone discourage you! Great job here! Your work is as good as anyone on the planet. Stay true to your vision for your art.

Jan 26, 2015 at 08:44 PM
Ton Hung
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Winter's Closing

beautiful image

Jan 26, 2015 at 09:28 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Winter's Closing

Very nice Justin! The foreground really is the icing on the cake here. Perfect PP as usual. Where was the picture taken?

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:11 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Winter's Closing

Perfection in snow and ice and Canadian Rockies!

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:42 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Winter's Closing

Mark Metternich wrote:
Justin, I would definitely call you a new generation photographer. I love that about your work! Your attention to detail is awesome! It was very inspiring working with you that one time. Keep it up! And don't ever let anyone discourage you! Great job here! Your work is as good as anyone on the planet. Stay true to your vision for your art.

Thanks for the compliment and encouragement Mark, I appreciate it! I do totally love the new age technical side of photography, and if it helps me better capture a scene then why not use it to it's fullest extent!

And for those interested, this is not single exposure. I used 8 images for the end result here. Five for foreground focus at f11, one at f22 for the water texture, and finally 2 perspective blended and exposure blended images for the mountain and sky.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:58 PM
kellyakinsart
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Winter's Closing

Magnificent image Justin. Beautiful symmetry and light.

Kelly

Jan 27, 2015 at 09:48 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Winter's Closing

Pretty amazing image. Love how the stream sucks my eyes right into the mountain and clouds. Well done.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:55 AM
snooked123
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Winter's Closing

Simple yet beautiful. Amazing!

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:23 AM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Winter's Closing

Well that's freakin great.

aF

Jan 29, 2015 at 06:01 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Winter's Closing

kellyakinsart wrote:
Magnificent image Justin. Beautiful symmetry and light.

Kelly

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Pretty amazing image. Love how the stream sucks my eyes right into the mountain and clouds. Well done.

Thanks guys. I'm always on the lookout for strong leading lines and symmetry in my photographs, so I appreciate the comments.

Feb 01, 2015 at 11:36 AM
Alan Brock
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Winter's Closing

Very nice Justin! I love the leading lines in this one as well as the texture of the foreground ice. Nicely seen and captured and kudos to you for braving the cold!

Feb 01, 2015 at 12:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.