New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

The D7200 and a line-up of coolpix. Nothing too exciting. I will be interesting to see the actual specs on the D7200 if it really does exist that is.

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/01/10/nikon-cp-announcement-d7200-j5-p900-aw130-1958-p610-l840-s9900-s7000-and-s3700-cameras.aspx/

Jan 26, 2015 at 09:56 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

Beat ya to it

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1341012/0?keyword=7200#12791160

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:54 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

But this is a new posting on NR as of today from what I can tell ... recycling things are they?

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:28 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

Weird, it showed up on the front page again today but now removed but the original is still there.

Jan 26, 2015 at 08:14 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

Andre,

I hereby extend to you my condolences for your D400/D9300 hopes being dashed again.

Move up to FX- it'll only cost you several thousands in glass...

Jan 26, 2015 at 09:02 PM
matthewo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

if the d7200 doesn't impress, I may drop Nikon, i am not even kidding, a 7d mk ii and 5d mk iii combo looks better and better every day Nikon doesn't release another DX.

i really doubt the d7200 will be a 7d mk ii competitor as the price point will likely be much lower. and i am sure there is not a timeline on a higher end dx camera at this point.

Jan 26, 2015 at 09:49 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

I think it's a bit sad that Nikon hasn't chosen to confront Canon's 7D II, when they clearly have the ability to do it 'better'; they could easily improve on high ISO performance (sacrificing low ISO performance, a la D750/A7S, relative to other 24MP APS-C Exmors), grab more resolution with the lack of an AA filter, and provide better video output quality (Canon's decisions with DSLRs here are baffling...).

I.e, they could storm the market. Why don't they?

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:19 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

matthewo wrote:
if the d7200 doesn't impress, I may drop Nikon, i am not even kidding, a 7d mk ii and 5d mk iii combo looks better and better every day Nikon doesn't release another DX.

i really doubt the d7200 will be a 7d mk ii competitor as the price point will likely be much lower. and i am sure there is not a timeline on a higher end dx camera at this point.

I imagine the 7D Mk2 and 400mm F4 DO are big pulls for bird and sports shooters. The calculated MTF for that lens, even with teleconverters, is impressive, and at least one test confirms the astonishing MTF for the naked lens.

Jan 27, 2015 at 05:12 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

LeifG wrote:
I imagine the 7D Mk2 and 400mm F4 DO are big pulls for bird and sports shooters. The calculated MTF for that lens, even with teleconverters, is impressive, and at least one test confirms the astonishing MTF for the naked lens.

Since the default short lens amongst avid birders is the 500mm f4 + 1.4tc, your 400 f4 DO is going to be very short. The last trip I made to the wetlands there were four 800 f5.6 lenses there. And the 800mm guys also had TC to add.

Jan 27, 2015 at 08:16 AM
matthewo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

yes, the II is still a bit out of my price range. I would almost rather have a 300 2.8 just to gain the speed and versatility of having the bare 2.8 when needed. but in all reality if I bought into the canon system I would probably try to find a decent used copy of a 600mm IS version 1 lens.

I still cannot shake the fact that the dynamic range, shadow recovery and 100% sharpness isn't even close to Nikons cheapest DX camera. I am so used to working with Nikons raw images and I can get so much out of them when lighting is harsh, I can under-expose to keep white birds from blowing out in harsh light and still get nice images. I can also pretty aggressively crop images at least for good websized photos, and probably crop 30-40% for medium sized prints on sharp photos with Nikon with no problem.

Other then the few, but very important issues to me where Nikon does exceed, I feel canon just wins in about every other aspect. In my price range I am able to buy more lens, for less money with canon, I will have better out of camera white balance and possibly a little bit better out of camera colors with less work. I really enjoy the video features and availability of black lantern for the canon bodies. FPS of is also a huge plus. Really ISO is not my main concern, I shoot wildlife at relatively low ISO these days anyways, or switch to a FF body when light is tough, so my main Crop camera (canon or nikon) would be a toss-up with iso staying below 1600.

Obviously making a choice one way or the other would be easy if canon had no AA filter, and slightly better sensor dynamic range.

Nikon would be the choice if they blow it out of the water with their next DX release.

But I still come down to the lens issue, with being able to find a canon 600mm is used for around $5500, where as Nikon only has 1 VR version of the lens so far, and they are $1500-$2000 more, not to mention Nikon made it so the new tc1.4x III wont work with non G lens, so that remove the slightly better priced Nikon 600mm AF-S II from the running.

I feel for telephoto canon has more options in the price point and teleconverter compatibility with all lenses.

Jan 27, 2015 at 08:26 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

johnctharp wrote:
I think it's a bit sad that Nikon hasn't chosen to confront Canon's 7D II, when they clearly have the ability to do it 'better'; they could easily improve on high ISO performance (sacrificing low ISO performance, a la D750/A7S, relative to other 24MP APS-C Exmors), grab more resolution with the lack of an AA filter, and provide better video output quality (Canon's decisions with DSLRs here are baffling...).

I.e, they could storm the market. Why don't they?

I'm starting to believe that Nikon thinks that FX is the future, period. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see even their entry level cameras with an FX sensor in a few years. I think they believe that the majority of shooters would be happier with an FX body, and in fact that might be true.

Personally, I think there is room for both in the lineup. There are uses for DX and if the right DX body came along, I'd get one.

Jan 27, 2015 at 08:56 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

Steve Perry wrote:
I'm starting to believe that Nikon thinks that FX is the future, period. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see even their entry level cameras with an FX sensor in a few years. I think they believe that the majority of shooters would be happier with an FX body, and in fact that might be true.

Personally, I think there is room for both in the lineup. There are uses for DX and if the right DX body came along, I'd get one.

If Nikon went through the same re-design of the body of a DX that they did with the D750 - made the DX smaller, lighter. Some small prime lenses, they could make a great little photojournalist or street camera.

Jan 27, 2015 at 09:11 AM
max911
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

re: DX and FX

I'd like to see a Dx version of the DF. Call it the DXF. Small and sturdy. Retro without the DF's super-size me scale.
And, of course, a D400

max

Jan 27, 2015 at 09:52 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

Steve Perry wrote:

I don't really believe that Steve. DX shooters often just don't want to plough that much money into a FX camera system when for them they can get what they want out of a much cheaper DX system which also delivers amazing IQ. Pentax have the camera (K3) but just don't have the lenses for birders/wildlife shooters, unless you go legacy.

I think the real issue for Nikon is that they feel a D400 may cannibalise their other cameras and could even have people defecting to DX permanently with a knock-on effect on FX lens sales.

A D400 could affect the D7100/7200, D810, D4, D4s and even the D610. If the buyers are keen sports, action or birds/wildlife shooters. Depending on the configuration a powerful D400 drops into a lot of courts.

The downside is of course losing some shooters to Canon. The 7DII is no slam-dunk though.

Jan 27, 2015 at 01:45 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

The 7DM2 has been available for what, 2 months now? I wouldn't worry about the lack of a Nikon counterpart just yet, though I agree it's a long time coming in the grand scheme of things.

I still think there will be a D400, or at least a D7XXX or D9XXX with appropriate AF, FPS, and buffer. The 7D2 is hardly a game-changer, but at least Canon put something to market. With some very average reviews, same old base sensor tech, and AF issues becoming more and more common, hopefully Nikon sees that as an opportunity to shine. We will see I guess. If the D7200 doesn't have high FPS & a buffer too match, I still think there will be something else coming down the pipes - I think they could easily have a ~$1100 D7200 and a ~$1800 D400 without interrupting other model sales too much.

Jan 27, 2015 at 03:27 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

CanadaMark wrote:
The 7DM2 has been available for what, 2 months now? I wouldn't worry about the lack of a Nikon counterpart just yet, though I agree it's a long time coming in the grand scheme of things.

I still think there will be a D400, or at least a D7XXX or D9XXX with appropriate AF, FPS, and buffer. The 7D2 is hardly a game-changer, but at least Canon put something to market. With some very average reviews, same old base sensor tech, and AF issues becoming more and more common, hopefully Nikon sees that as an opportunity to shine. We will see
...Show more

If the D400 would be the Canon camera specs with a (tweaked) D7100 sensor (+ AF) I would be all over it. Or just put such a sensor in a D810.
I'm very doubtful it will ever arrive and therefor the Canon wil stay the only option and will be hard to resist (with 100-400 II) for me. Perhaps an Sony A77II + 70-400

Jan 27, 2015 at 04:15 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

Steve Perry wrote:

I agree that Nikon would like to see FX be the future, but unless they can get FX sensor costs down significantly, DX will continue to dominate the consumer end of things.

It's obvious that at the pro end, FX is where Nikon is going and if you want pixel density and reach, get a D810 and use crop mode. Too bad for me really ... I suppose I can last out another 8 years with a D7200 if it has good specs.

Jan 27, 2015 at 04:56 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

Frogfish wrote:
I don't really believe that Steve. DX shooters often just don't want to plough that much money into a FX camera system when for them they can get what they want out of a much cheaper DX system which also delivers amazing IQ. Pentax have the camera (K3) but just don't have the lenses for birders/wildlife shooters, unless you go legacy.

I think the real issue for Nikon is that they feel a D400 may cannibalise their other cameras and could even have people defecting to DX permanently with a knock-on effect on FX lens sales.

A D400 could affect the D7100/7200,
...Show more

Yea, it would drop into a lot of courts, so it's logical to make it. I have never bought the self cannibalization argument. A camera sale is a camera sale. Better to self cannibalize a bit than to loose customers to Canon.

Jan 27, 2015 at 04:58 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

matthewo wrote:
I still cannot shake the fact that the dynamic range, shadow recovery and 100% sharpness isn't even close to Nikons cheapest DX camera. I am so used to working with Nikons raw images and I can get so much out of them when lighting is harsh, I can under-expose to keep white birds from blowing out in harsh light and still get nice images. I can also pretty aggressively crop images at least for good websized photos, and probably crop 30-40% for medium sized prints on sharp photos with Nikon with no problem.

This really only applies to very low ISOs, the 7D II pulls ahead at higher ISOs; and it is still exceptional for a Canon crop camera, with cleaner files at lower ISOs.

You'd still want one of the Dx300s with the 24MP AA-less Exmor for crop landscape shooting, but for a crop action body, the 7D II is unparalleled.

Jan 27, 2015 at 05:44 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Latest list of rumored cameras @ CP+

max911 wrote:
re: DX and FX

I'd like to see a Dx version of the DF. Call it the DXF. Small and sturdy. Retro without the DF's super-size me scale.

That would be attractive to me as well. It would be a great travel camera! I very nearly dumped my D7100 and all things Nikon for a Fuji XT1 last summer after a long trip to British Columbia.

Kent in SD

Jan 27, 2015 at 05:49 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.