New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 7D2 variations

chrometsuba

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D2 variations

Hello,

First post here, long time lurking in the shadows.

I just upgraded (sidestepped?) from a 6D to the new 7D2, and I am not 100% happy with the picture quality so far. I have only had it out on two occasions so far, one was less then optimal light and the second was OK lighting (indoor flourescent).

None of my pictures really came out all that great. Mostly noisy images and less than optimal focus I think. I am going to do some controlled testing in the next few days and see whats going on with it.

So my two questions:

1) The body is just over 2 weeks from the date of purchase, if there is any MAF needed for canon lenses, should I make adjustments? or take it back for an exchange?

2) I am probably being paranoid with all the people complaining about focus issues, being the internet I know you only really hear the complainers and rarely the complementers. Does anyone have a guess at the number of good focusing bodies to problematic ones?

Next purchase is going to be the new 100-400, but I would like to be happy with the body before adding more glass to my collection.

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer

Jan 26, 2015 at 09:37 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D2 variations

Welcome to FM from the shadows.

I would hold off on getting the 100-400 II until you are proficient with the 7D II. I know recommending reading the manual sounds like I'm asking you to press the Easy Button but given the AF system in the 7D II, reading the manual might be the first step. If you have examples of images with problems and EXIF attached, upload them and we can help with your settings Better if we see examples.

You could return/exchange the camera but, you might be faced with the same issues that are a result of user error/not understanding the camera then a defective body.

Edited on Jan 26, 2015 at 09:59 AM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2015 at 09:56 AM
Braineack
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D2 variations

still have the 6D?

start doing some controlled testing against each other. post results.

Jan 26, 2015 at 09:57 AM
Phazed
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D2 variations

The 7D2 I have was 'soft focusing'. Worked with it for a month, tried everything I could think of plus a number of suggestions but it would not focus sharp. Compared it to my 70D and 6D the focus was definitely soft, slightly blurred even when mounted on a stable tripod using a remote. Noise was about the same as my 70D and not as good as my full-frame 6D. I was in agreement with your #2 statement.
I liked everything else about the camera but focusing would be a deal-breaker so I sent it in to Canon for repair. They said electronic focus adjustment was incorrect and re-adjusted the electronic focus.
I am happy to say everything now is good and I am enjoying the camera for photographing wildlife.

Jan 26, 2015 at 09:58 AM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D2 variations

7D II was soft . . . confirmed it was from MFA on my 500 with TC . . . adjusted and could get spot on results for moving subjects . . . static subjects were simply a no go. Sent it back to canon, now - its spot on!

Jan 26, 2015 at 06:24 PM
alvit
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D2 variations

Mine too, sent it back!

Jan 26, 2015 at 06:51 PM
chrometsuba

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D2 variations

Is it generally better to send it back to Canon for service and adjustment and assume it will come back sharp and happy, or to get an instant swap out at the dealer and gamble on the next one being better? I would think that the best plan then would be to purchase the 100-400 and send them together to be serviced?

I am going on vacation in March and am hoping to have a camera that I can rely on by then to take with me.

I will post some sample pictures up later tonight hopefully, if I can get some time to play around after work.

Thanks for all the advice guys

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:50 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D2 variations

chrometsuba wrote:
Is it generally better to send it back to Canon for service and adjustment and assume it will come back sharp and happy, or to get an instant swap out at the dealer and gamble on the next one being better? I would think that the best plan then would be to purchase the 100-400 and send them together to be serviced?

I am going on vacation in March and am hoping to have a camera that I can rely on by then to take with me.

I will post some sample pictures up later tonight hopefully, if I can get some
...Show more

Send it to Canon now so you get it back in time and get it done right. A new one may have the same issue as I am hearing many with the same complaint and the same solution by Canon. I hope this doesn't turn out to be the 7D2's light leak issue of 5D3 fame.

As for the your other "issue" -- if you bought the 7D2 expecting the same or better noise characteristics than a current FF model such as the 6D, you will always be disappointed. When it comes to noise, DR, high-ISO performance and the like, FF will always trump 1.6 when comparing sensors of similar vintage.

All that said... if your goal is sports or wildlife with the 100-400 II -- which I have and is positively AMAZING -- you made the right choice. Just have realistic expectations when it comes to sensor performance.

Jan 27, 2015 at 01:58 PM
chrometsuba

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D2 variations

Hello,

Sorry for dull subject matter in these test shots.

Both xmas light shots were centerpoint only, single shot focus on the orange part of the bulb. To me, both seem back focused, but even the areas most in focus do not seem to scream out at me.

The roof tiles was same focus setup, and also seems back focused as the left side seems better then the center/right side.

My two lenses at the moment are a 24-105L IS, and a 70-200L f4.

Jan 28, 2015 at 02:22 PM
WestcoastHD
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D2 variations

Phazed wrote:
The 7D2 I have was 'soft focusing'. Worked with it for a month, tried everything I could think of plus a number of suggestions but it would not focus sharp. Compared it to my 70D and 6D the focus was definitely soft, slightly blurred even when mounted on a stable tripod using a remote. Noise was about the same as my 70D and not as good as my full-frame 6D. I was in agreement with your #2 statement.
I liked everything else about the camera but focusing would be a deal-breaker so I sent it in to Canon for repair. They
...Show more

I had been on the fence myself because of what I read online regarding the focus mis-adjustment. Was it a bad batch of some early bodies, I had not seen anything that really described how many had been affected. More importantly, do we know if bodies received with a later serial number don't have the same mis-alignment?

Jan 28, 2015 at 02:55 PM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D2 variations

WestcoastHD wrote:
I had been on the fence myself because of what I read online regarding the focus mis-adjustment. Was it a bad batch of some early bodies, I had not seen anything that really described how many had been affected. More importantly, do we know if bodies received with a later serial number don't have the same mis-alignment?

Mine, once returned from canon, preformed excellent. However, the note said "sensor realigned to match focal plane". My assumption is that the sensor was not exactly parallel to the lens plane of field which caused my issues 100%.

Jan 28, 2015 at 07:18 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D2 variations

We have two of them and so far they both seem to be okay.

Rod

Jan 28, 2015 at 07:21 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D2 variations

I wonder if the problem is that you are going from a 6D to a 7DII? I only have a 6D(new) and a 7D (old), but even though I was pretty happy with the 7D I can see the 6D is much sharper with the same lens, just zoomed to give the same image. Only noticable at 100% though. A lot of people who are not novices seem to be having problems with the 7DII AF, and most of these seemed to be resolved, maybe sending it in in any case would be a good thing to do. You might also be able to do a side by side comparision with another 7DII at the store where you purchased the original one, or find a friend with a good 7DII and compare. Maybe just simpler to send it in?
Good luck.

Jan 29, 2015 at 06:17 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.