FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Online booking and/or destination weddings

Weez
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Online booking and/or destination weddings

For those who do this, how do you handle the contract stuff?

If you don't meet the couple beforehand, do you have concerns about your contract holding up?

I suppose you could, say, FedEx the paperwork ahead of time, but you're not there to witness the signing...

Confirmation email(s)? Notary stamp (if that would even do any good, I dunno)?

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:34 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Online booking and/or destination weddings

I've been in a destination market for 6 years. Currently transitioning to a new market...but I'll provide my thoughts.

In Vegas, I meet 10% of my couples beforehand. Some photogs meet even less beforehand. I use Tave for all my contract singing. Before that I used EchoSign. I think I have a good contract that's pretty industry standard but at the end of the day, if someone wants to sue you they can and will...regardless of if the contract was signed in person or via the internet.

In Tave, when contracts get signed transaction metadata is included for the electronic signature. It's "proof" of who signed the contract.

Is it foolproof? No way....but I don't think anything is foolproof, especially this day in age where everyone is sue happy.

I try to take as many precautionary steps as possible to vet my clients. There's too many to list but the biggest is managing client expectations. I am overly and abundantly clear with what I expect from the client and what they can expect from me. If something is discussed via Skype, text message or on the phone...a follow-up email outlining what was discussed is sent. I create paper trails and try to leave no grey area that can be left up for debate.

Bottom line....CYA. But, you should be doing some CYA regardless if your clients are local or not.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:52 AM
Weez
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Online booking and/or destination weddings

Thanks Ron, I hadn't even thought that such services as Tave or EchoSign existed.

Jan 26, 2015 at 01:54 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Online booking and/or destination weddings

I email them a PDF, they sign, scan, and send it back to me.

Jan 26, 2015 at 01:56 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Online booking and/or destination weddings

ZachOly wrote:

Same here.

Jan 26, 2015 at 04:59 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Online booking and/or destination weddings

ZachOly wrote:

me, too

heiko

Jan 26, 2015 at 05:14 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Online booking and/or destination weddings

I use ShootQ. Works great.

Jan 31, 2015 at 04:03 PM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Online booking and/or destination weddings

The deposit is the kicker. Make sure you get enough up front to cover your travel and then some. Contracts are contracts, but even when broken, can be a pain to pursue. If you have a non-refundable deposit, you haven't lost much.

As for handling the paperwork, Tave is spectacular. It takes time to setup, but it makes life a lot easier.

Jan 31, 2015 at 05:26 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.