New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

grizz9
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

I am planning to go up to New York City for a weekend walkabout. No set date just watching the weather and will drive up as I am 3 hours away. I was wondering what lens on the a6000 is best for the city. I am not a ultra wide guy. I have the kit lens from the a6000 so I can go 16mm e mount which would be a crop factor of 24mm. I am thinking that would work but since I will be in New York and can rent something from one of the big stores up there that I will be visiting I was wondering what you all think would be best. My preference is to not use the kit as I have the 18-105 which is what stays mounted on this camera. I do plan on getting the Sigma 30 at some point and that would be a much nicer walk around lens compared to the 18-105.

It also looks like B&H and Adorama close on Saturday so rental might be a bit of an issue as I am planning on getting up there Friday and leaving Sunday.

So my options as I se it are:

1: buy the Sigma 30 and use it with the 18-105. I am planning this purchase anyway so if it will work now is the time.
2: get to Adorama Friday and rent the best UWA I can to compliment my current 18-105 or kit lens.
3. Buy a Rokinon 12mm while there. I am thinking this might work but i am a little bad at manual focus. But in reality this thing must be in focus damn near at all settings other than the extremes so I should be able to handle it.
4. I own a voightlander 15mm. I could get an adapter and go that route. I have not had luck with m39 adapters. They never seem to get the lens to mount in the right spot. Anyone know of one that works?
5. just use my 18-105 and shut up . Its ok if that is the correct answer...

Thanks, John...

Jan 25, 2015 at 09:31 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

I would recommend the sigma 19 2.8...it was my most used lens on a recent trip to Manhattan (I also had the 35 1.8 and 50 1.8)

Jan 25, 2015 at 09:45 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

I used the A6000 and the 16-70mm f/4 for all but the last 7 shots here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/douglasliu/sets/72157649417373619/

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:00 PM
grizz9
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

mogul, I have debated the sigma 19 but in all honesty I still use a full Canon kit. I love the A6000 for exactly what I will be doing in NYC but really do not want to build out an entire kit. Who knows, I could someday convert totally to Sony and then the Sigma 19 would be in the kit. But for now it is the 18-105 with the Sigma 30 to be added for a fast prime. There is an outside option to add the cheap Rokinon UWA. But that is as far as that kit will grow.

kdrk888, nice shots of NYC. I will now be afraid to post mine after seeing yours

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:27 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

Why limit your options, the sigma is cheap and good...the aps-c nex 7 isn't my main camera but that doesn't stop me from getting a good lens for it (it will blow your Canon camera out of the water as far DR, resolution, and with the 6000 auto focus).

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:50 PM
grizz9
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

Yea, well I am not looking for a Canon - Sony discussion here. This is my hobby and I do not make any $$$ doing this. I agree the lens is inexpensive but for a hobby that is all I am budgeting for this kit. the only reason I have the A6000 is because I was not happy with the EOS-M. But I am now thinking that camera with the 22 pancake might just be a good camera to take up there. I really didn't mention it in my original post as this is a Sony thread... As far as auto focus goes yes the A6000 is amazing .

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:12 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

grizz9 wrote:
mogul, I have debated the sigma 19 but in all honesty I still use a full Canon kit. I love the A6000 for exactly what I will be doing in NYC but really do not want to build out an entire kit. Who knows, I could someday convert totally to Sony and then the Sigma 19 would be in the kit. But for now it is the 18-105 with the Sigma 30 to be added for a fast prime. There is an outside option to add the cheap Rokinon UWA. But that is as far as that kit will grow.
...Show more

By all means. We are here to share and to learn. I am just a hobbyist too. If you are not doing a lot of indoor shots, I think your 18-105 is probably wide enough. BTW, I will be in NYC on Thursday and Friday, after their big snow storm

Douglas

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:21 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

I was just there last week for an interview. Wandered about the city afterward. Wish it wasn't such a cloudy day.

My Sigma 30mm F/2.8 got a good workout, and was on the camera most of the time. The 19mm F/2.8 would've been useful in a few spots, and is next on my list (used my Nikon 35mm F/1.8 + Speed Booster as a makeshift wide angle instead). Didn't find much need for my Sony 50mm F/1.8 OSS, but I did use my Samyang 85mm F/1.4 to get long shots of the tops of some buildings, and on the bus trip home.

Also, I had the EOS M before my A6000 and NEX-6. The extended shadow and highlight recovery on the A6000 is extremely useful in high contrast areas, which there are many in the city. You'll probably get banding on the EOS M, depending on how much you lift your shadows. I know that was the big reason I sold it and moved onto the NEX-6. No problems on my end since then.

Being F/2 on the 22mm is nice, but the a6000 has much finer noise, and resolves a bit more detail, so F/2.8 is no great loss. You'll be stopping your lenses down a bit in the streets to get everything in focus, and using moderate shutter speeds to stop people and cars, so you'll be in the mid ISOs.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:38 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

If I were to go to NYC again, it would be with the A6000, SEL20 2.8, and SEL35 1.8 with me at all times for indoor and outdoor, and the SEL55-210 in my suitcase for certain occations. If only one lens, I would take the SEL35 1.8.

The lenses that are compatible with the quicker PDAF will help for moving shots while riding a bus or people walking by.

Riding on one of those open top tour busses provides a lot of nice opportunities for people, street, and even architectural shots, especially if you can get a front corner seat. Of course, Times Square at night.

The EOS-M would be great for buildings, but might miss a lot of moving shots.

If you don't want to spend money, your pancake kit (for smallest inconspicuous package) or your 18-105 (for best range) should be fine.

Have fun.
Steve

Jan 26, 2015 at 01:30 PM
kahren
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

10-18mm and 55-210mm
or just take your 18-105mm

Jan 27, 2015 at 07:44 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

I have only had my walk around kit for a bit. New to Sony, but very happy with having a 10-18, 16-70, and a SEL 35. And the 55-210 I decided to keep. While not the lightest of things, it sure beats trying to lug around the equivalent Nikon gear.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:56 AM
Nuum

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

I would take 18-105mm for the trip like NYC. I don't like to change lenses on the side of the busy street because of dust may get into the sensor.

Jan 27, 2015 at 07:05 PM
glowrider
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

City is built for an 15/18 and a 28/35. If you do portraits, get something around 50-85 (your pref) and call it a day. Most of the time you're going to struggle to get stuff into your shot, so stay wide and crop.

Jan 27, 2015 at 07:56 PM
grizz9
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

Thanks everyone. So I will be taking the 18-105 as it is my go to lens for the A6000. I ordered a photodiox M39 adapter to see how the voightlander 15 will do with it. If I am not happy with that I will look at the Rokinon at B&H or Adorama while up there. I will also have the Sigma 30 in the bag before I go. Just need to wait on the weather now. I am hoping for this trip to happen in the month of February but rally need a weekend with temps reaching 40 degrees. I don't want to do an all day walkabout in freezing temps.

Another question on the Sigma. Is all of the A6000 focusing goodness available with the Sigma lens? I know there is no stabilization but will it be as fast focusing as a Sony lens? Thanks, John.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:18 PM
grizz9
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

I like the CV 15 on this camera. Of course the fotodiox m39 does not align the lens but this one does have some adjustment screws. I just need to find a tool small enough to make the adjustment. I also ordered the Sigma 30 so now I just need Mother Nature to cooperate. I am attaching a bad shot of my office building with the CV 15 as a test. Please don't kill me for the crappy shot. It is un edited and it was raining. I just wanted to shot a building to get the perspective this lens will give.

http://www.grizznet.com/rock.jpg

Feb 02, 2015 at 10:17 PM
Duckysaysquack
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

Unfortunately the Sigmas are not compatible with phase detection or hybrid AF, it will only shoot in contrast detection sadly. That said, NYC is a pretty well lit city, even at night. If you go to Times Sq or something at night you would probably have no problems with getting enough light for the Sigma to focus at f2.8 around 1600 ISO. I live here, LMK if you want recommendations or good places to shoot!

Feb 03, 2015 at 04:45 PM
grizz9
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

@Duckysaysquack, Not sure what LMK is . But I turned 50 this year so I am allowed to be completely out of touch with these things now .... I would love recommendations of places to shoot up there... Thanks, John.

Feb 04, 2015 at 02:25 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

grizz9 wrote:
@Duckysaysquack, Not sure what LMK is . But I turned 50 this year so I am allowed to be completely out of touch with these things now .... I would love recommendations of places to shoot up there... Thanks, John.

I am guessing LMK means let me know?

Feb 04, 2015 at 02:35 PM
Duckysaysquack
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

yeah, let me know. Haha

Feb 04, 2015 at 09:16 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · what lens for NYC trip on A6000

Duckysaysquack wrote:
Unfortunately the Sigmas are not compatible with phase detection or hybrid AF, it will only shoot in contrast detection sadly.

Actually, the center 5 PDAF points on the Sigma 30mm do work in Wide AF mode (worked on the NEX-6, too). AF is super fast in good light on the 30mm, regardless of PDAF or CDAF. Though you get pulsing once focus is locked with CDAF. The Sigma 60mm is roughly as fast as the Sony 50mm F/1.8 OSS (not very fast). Not sure about the Sigma 19mm's speed, but it should also support PDAF in the center.

Feb 05, 2015 at 08:26 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.