Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

jigesh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

I had both. f1.4G was slower to focus than f1.8G. Both are great! Since I am not a pro (don't make money out of photography), I kept f1.8G and sold f1.4G.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:52 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

InlawBiker wrote:
I use the 85mm on DX for indoor events, so I don't have to be too close or use a flash. You can get candid shots with this type of reach, I find it useful at parties. On FX I might use it less but as one of the remaining DX holdouts, who knows. Anyway it's really good and small, and inexpensive enough just to hold onto.

I could see that for parties and events where I'm standing further off and in fact that is where I use it most. But when getting down on the floor in tight quarters with the kids, the 50mm works better for me because I do the latter more than the former.

Jan 26, 2015 at 01:09 PM
chrisfphotog
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

nuclearjock wrote:
The difference between 1.4 and 1.8 is really very small in terms of dof, especially for the money. I own both the 1.8G and the 1.4D and LOVE the 1.8G!!

One advantage that the 1.4G offers that is nearly ALWAYS overlooked in reviews and comparisons is the fact that it is weather-sealed. This is a huge deal to some people. Price wise the 1.8G is an amazing bang for the buck, no one can argue that.

The Sigma f1.4 offers less vignetting wide open, which is why I went with it over the 1.8G (that plus Ryan Brenizer and Sam Hurd's reviews of the Sigma).

Jan 26, 2015 at 01:26 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

I sold mine because, other than being extremely sharp, I don't see anything 'special' about it.

If I wanted a special 85, I'd rather add couple hundred bucks and go for the 85 1.4D.

If I wanted a portrait lens in this range, I'd rather get the 105 2.5 Ai/s. It's cheaper too.

Jan 26, 2015 at 03:10 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

This lens seems to get mostly-unqualified A+++ raves, as you can see in this thread. But that's somewhat an oversell.

It has very good resolution and reliable focus (I haven't noticed the slow focus wellsjt mentioned), but CA is fairly significant and build quality is decidedly consumer-level. For me it's more like a B+.

DontShoot wrote:
If I wanted a special 85, I'd rather add couple hundred bucks and go for the 85 1.4D.

Really? I guess I could've had a bad copy but my 851.4D was far inferior to either of the 85G's. I liked the 85/1.4 AI-s better!

Jan 26, 2015 at 03:50 PM
scottmti
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

Here is my unqualified view as hobby photographer. I had 85mm 1.8g. Nice lens but nothing special. Just a good sharp lens. Focus speed is OK. I'm not a action shooter so it was good enough for me. Since I'm a tinker. I bought a cheap nex camera. With cheap adapter it works well with all the D lens I have. Aperture ring was needed for that adapter I bought. Sure they have adapters that works with g lens but I already have adapter. Only g lens I have is 24-120mm.
Anyway I bought a 85mm 1.4d cause it look good. Lol. I figure why not. Surprisingly it's a very sharp lens. Works well with nex body. Maybe people are selling g lens cause they might be in similar situation as me. It's a good lens but build quality and resale value might be there when they decide to resell it again when they had enough fun with it. I'm having fun. Isn't that what it's all about when your not making money off it?
I don't know.. Maybe I'm weird. I like exotic things.. When I can afford it. Like exotic dancers.. Exotic cars.. Etc etc. Exotic things excites me.

Jan 26, 2015 at 04:26 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

scottmti wrote:
Here is my unqualified view as hobby photographer. I had 85mm 1.8g. Nice lens but nothing special. Just a good sharp lens. Focus speed is OK. I'm not a action shooter so it was good enough for me. Since I'm a tinker. I bought a cheap nex camera. With cheap adapter it works well with all the D lens I have. Aperture ring was needed for that adapter I bought. Sure they have adapters that works with g lens but I already have adapter. Only g lens I have is 24-120mm.
Anyway I bought a 85mm 1.4d cause it look
...Show more

If you like exotic lenses then try chubby

Jan 26, 2015 at 04:40 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

hijazist wrote:
If you like exotic lenses then try chubby

Call me naive, but what is the chubby? Or are we still talking exotic dancers

Jan 26, 2015 at 04:59 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

...Call me naive, but what is the chubby?..

This beauty. And these results.

Edited on Jan 26, 2015 at 05:05 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2015 at 05:02 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

jigesh wrote:
This beauty.

Ahh yes, I have lusted after that lens for many a day now.....just never knew it was referred to as the "chubby". Thanks for enlightening me.

Jan 26, 2015 at 05:04 PM
AndereObjektiv
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

I too like this lens a lot, it's very sharp, has good color rendition and the autofocus performance is very good. One thing I do not like is the very strong longitudinal chromatic aberrations that can occur when shot wide open. Mostly, with lens profiles and post-processing these aberrations can be mostly corrected. However in some photos with very high contrast and high frequency details the aberrations can be uncorrectable without significant degradation to color and details. So, nothing is perfect. The positive qualities far outweigh the drawbacks in my opinion, especially for the price and this lens spends a lot of time on the D810.

Jan 27, 2015 at 04:17 PM
kazinvan
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

I have the Nikon 85/1.8G and find I use it much less now that I have the Sigma 50/1.4 Art. The Sigma is so good that I rarely use the 85, though there are still times when I like the focal length I can often get the same shot with the 50 by taking a step or two closer.

Jan 27, 2015 at 04:25 PM
goddardca

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

I've just switched to Nikon from Fuji and have been stalking the b/s threads for a used 85 1.8g for the last few weeks and don't actually find that many. I owned the Sigma 85 when I shot Canon and it had sever backfocus problems even after I sent it to Sigma in NY. Maybe if they made an updated 85 ART I'd be more interested over the 1.8g... On the fence about the 50 1.8g as well since i'm picking up a 24-70 shortly.

Jan 27, 2015 at 09:43 PM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

my Sigma 85 1.4 makes the nikon 85 1.8 and 1.4 a non factor.Until they come out with an 85 1.4 Art doug M

Jan 27, 2015 at 09:55 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Why so many 85mm f/1.8G 's for sale?

I think the main reason there are a lot for sale is simply that Nikon has sold BOATLOAD of these things. They're great, they're relatively cheap, so people buy. When people switch systems, or simply feel like switching up their lens lineup, some will inevitably be sold.

As for mine, I'll keep it as long as I'm a Nikon shooter. And even if I switch, I may still keep it and adapt it to the new mount.

Jan 28, 2015 at 04:09 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.