New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Printing problem

grog13
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Printing problem

I've developed a new screen-print mismatch problem. (Equipment I'm using is an Epson R1900, HP LP2275W & Dell 2209WA monitors, Spyder 4 Pro calibration, Windows 7. Printing from LR5.) What I'm seeing looks like a white balance difference, with the prints being considerably warmer and perhaps a little tint shift toward magenta.
Here's the scenario: I haven't been printing much for the last few months - the last time I did a lot of printing was last April, with just occasional prints since then, and nothing for the last 6 weeks or so. The thing that's new since last summer is the Spyder 4, which I upgraded from Spyder 3 to allow me to calibrate both monitors (usually used just the Dell before that). However, the thing that's got me thinking it's not a calibration problem is that I pulled up a couple of older files that had no recent color adjustments, made a print, and compared them to prints from last spring and I still see the difference. Is it possible that my inks are bad? Most of the cartridges were probably installed during my printing project last April, which puts them beyond the recommended life of 6 months from installation, but I think I've printed with cartridges that old before.
What I've done: I did a head cleaning before printing and the nozzle check looked fine. I've recalibrated the monitors with several variations of brightness, white point, etc, with same results. I checked to make sure I was using the correct profiles, and that profile/paper info was consistent between LR and printer driver.
Any ideas??
Thanks!

Jan 25, 2015 at 02:24 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Printing problem

perhaps remove and shake the ink carts up a bit. the ink particles may have settled a bit.

Jan 25, 2015 at 02:51 PM
John Wheeler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Printing problem

Hi Grog

Sure sounds as if you are double profiling by having LR manage colors with a specific ICC profile and that the printer driver does not have color management turned off.

I could see that happening over a bunch of months having the settings of the printer driver modified. I would double check if color management is turned off in the driver as a first step. Double profiling is one of the ways that would create the symptoms you mention.

Not sure this is your issue yet thought it was worth mentioning.

Jan 25, 2015 at 03:08 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Printing problem

I did check that, and it's not the problem. An aside - I did have a couple of prints that turned out downright bizzarre and discovered that somehow I'd accidentally checked the "Let printer manage color" box in LR but color management was turned off!

Jan 25, 2015 at 07:21 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Printing problem

Update: I went through all my LR print presets and did find a few that were a bit scrambled one way or another. For example, I print often on a particular Red River paper that works well (better than with the Red River profile) with either the Epson luster or semi-gloss profiles - one may work better with some files or vice versa. But I had a couple presets where one profile was specified in the LR dialog and the other in the printer page setup - oops. Doesn't make a huge difference but could make some things look weird. I also took howardm4's suggestion and gave the cartridges a shake. Seems to be doing okay now........

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:19 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.