Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

you can definitely see differences with big and enormous tripods. My brother has a RSS TVC-45, and that thing is ridiculously more stable than the gitzo 3530 of mine. It's clearly a different grade of tripod, meant to support something as heavy as the Canon 1200mm F5.6. 600mm would be the low end for that tripod. it's fairly big and heavy, even if carbon fiber.

you'll probably be fine with a systematic 3 series, or RRS 3 series.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:46 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

onegreatcity wrote:
It feels very balanced and sturdy when locked down and just as sturdy while panning or tilting.

At this point, it sounds like you have answered your own question.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

Camster, just to echo G.Dan Mitchell's post above, it looks like you have found your own reassurance regarding the suitability of the tripod support you currently own.

When we look at the fitness a tripod would have for the lens/camera we need to support, the most important thing is its stability in operation, not the nominal load bearing capability, although the two are kind of related.
Most tripods and heads can bear the lens/camera load without collapsing or developing annoying defects.

However, gotta ask yourself how steady is your support when tilting/panning and taking shots ? How much of a wind the tripod will take before the camera/lens on it starts to shake and swing ?

It is very easy to figure out the support rigidity by using live view and zooming in on a target on max magnification. That is truly like examining your support rigidity under a magnifying glass.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:18 AM
bipock
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

PetKal wrote:
It is very easy to figure out the support rigidity by using live view and zooming in on a target on max magnification. That is truly like examining your support rigidity under a magnifying glass.

Excellent point. LV shows everything.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:56 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

Thank you for all of your replies; my research continues.

@gdanmitchell & @Petkal

Critical, real world testing has yet to occur. As mentioned, I conducted early tests indoors so no gale force winds, in fact not even a steady breeze to contend with. I will try the live view method you suggested Peter; makes good sense to me.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:57 AM
lowside67
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

I just received my Gitzo 3542LS this afternoon. The 10x magnification liveview test has shown a MASSIVE difference between it and the Manfrotto 055XPROB that I was borrowing before it when tested with my 300 2.8 + 1.4x + 7D2. It's lighter, and ironically doesn't actually feel that "stiff" when you pull all the legs out and apply pressure laterally but I guess it's all in the vibration dampening and it seems to do a great job at that. Ugly bill but call me sold and converted, I wish I hadn't waited so long.

Mark

Jan 28, 2015 at 01:22 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

lowside67 wrote:
I just received my Gitzo 3542LS this afternoon. The 10x magnification liveview test has shown a MASSIVE difference between it and the Manfrotto 055XPROB that I was borrowing before it when tested with my 300 2.8 + 1.4x + 7D2. It's lighter, and ironically doesn't actually feel that "stiff" when you pull all the legs out and apply pressure laterally but I guess it's all in the vibration dampening and it seems to do a great job at that. Ugly bill but call me sold and converted, I wish I hadn't waited so long.

Mark

Good feedback, thanks Mark!

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:48 AM
Bliz
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

The live view vibration was the first thing I noticed when I picked up the 500 F4. On a GT2531 and Markins Q10 I believe it took 10 secs or so to settle. On the GT3530LS with a BH-55 it settles in a 2-2.5 seconds (rough estimate). Good luck.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

For those who took the time to offer their thoughts, I'm closing the loop on this thread just to say I purchased a very nice Sirui R-4203.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/832018-REG/Sirui_BSRR4203L_R_4203L_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html/c/product/#inpage:IN+STOCK

I took it for a spin today in frigid temps and, other than occasionally twisting my locks the wrong way (no damage done) was thrilled with the fluid operation, light weight and positively sturdy platform. The Calumet large gimbal worked great as well easily handling the 500mm and 1.4 on the 1DIV.

Thanks again for the input.

Feb 06, 2015 at 04:00 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

onegreatcity wrote:
My set up is a Manfrotto 055CX3 (17.64lb capacity).

Those ratings are probably closer to the load at which a mechanical failure will occur, rather than the load they can handle in a stable and reliable manner.

For any Manfrotto products I've ever used, I would divide that rating by 4 or 5 to get a more realistic approximation of what it can be used for.

Feb 06, 2015 at 04:22 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

molson wrote:
Those ratings are probably closer to the load at which a mechanical failure will occur, rather than the load they can handle in a stable and reliable manner.

For any Manfrotto products I've ever used, I would divide that rating by 4 or 5 to get a more realistic approximation of what it can be used for.

Thanks. Uh…did you look at my last post?

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:01 PM
shirozina
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Tripod Set Up - Care to Vet This For Me?

I ditched the Gitzo series 3 and went to 5 - much more stable esp if there is any wind but sill not really solid for long lenses or anything for that matter if there is any wind.. If you want stability in wind go for some video tripod legs with twin struts. They are designed to stop backlash when panning but also massively increase rigidity in wind. Not cheap for a good CF set and not as light nor as compact as single strut legs but ...........

Feb 06, 2015 at 05:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.