Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

Littleguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

He stated how he came up with this list.

"To be a successful wedding photographer you must be not only an artist but a savvy marketer and an entrepreneur rolled up into one. To formulate this list I asked some of the smartest photographers I knew to nominate the photographers who impressed them the most (in business or in art). This list was compiled from submissions along with photographers who I’ve seen consistently improve their craft."

morby wrote:
I know the guy who compiled this list, and there doesn't seem to be any formula or qualifications by which he chose the top 100 photographers in the US. It looks like he asked some other photographers who they thought should be on the list, and then he filled in the rest. Funny part is that a lot of photographers on the list live near Philadelphia (which is where the author is from). However, there are a lot of really solid names on here, and Tony would get my vote as one of the top 100 in the US!

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:14 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

morby wrote:

Sorry for starting the derailment.

Hey, I'll take my 5 "Likes" on my J * post, thank you very much.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:20 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

I do not know most of the names on there, but the people I thought should have been on there were (and a few that I was praying would not be on the list were not)

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:06 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

I wonder how useful these lists are as most wedding photographers are boutique studios that serve a local market only. So when someone creates a list for all of US, how many of those photographers are getting booked to fly all over the country to shoot weddings?

When I say booked I mean getting their regular rates plus travel expenses and not just I will do it for the cost of travel only. To me, when a photographer gets clients that are willing to pay their regular rates plus pay for hotel, meals and flight – those clients must really like you. Or maybe that’s just a Canadian thing as travel and hotel costs are fairly high here.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:37 AM
morby
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

Exactly. He got recommendations and then filled in the rest with his choices. The list is limited to his circle of photographer friends. I doubt he exhaustively went through all of the nominations and compared them to a set of criteria. Not saying that the list is bogus, it just seems to be haphazard to drive traffic to his personal needs.

Littleguy wrote:
He stated how he came up with this list
"To be a successful wedding photographer you must be not only an artist but a savvy marketer and an entrepreneur rolled up into one. To formulate this list I asked some of the smartest photographers I knew to nominate the photographers who impressed them the most (in business or in art). This list was compiled from submissions along with photographers who I’ve seen consistently improve their craft."

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:54 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

To be fair, he did say it was based on:

1) on artistic ability
2) marketing ability
3) great entrepreneur

But what weighing did he put on each one - we are not sure but I think as a photographer he most likely put more weight on artistic ability rather than marketing and business skills.

If he is like people on this forum - he won't put much weight on the photographers with great marketing and business skills but fair photography skills.

morby wrote:
Exactly. He got recommendations and then filled in the rest with his choices. The list is limited to his circle of photographer friends. I doubt he exhaustively went through all of the nominations and compared them to a set of criteria. Not saying that the list is bogus, it just seems to be haphazard to drive traffic to his personal needs.

Jan 27, 2015 at 01:19 PM
morby
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

True. From what I know of him, he is a great guy and seems to know his stuff. However, he's also an expert at making things go viral, and I'd venture to guess that this was more SEO related than anything else.

Littleguy wrote:
To be fair, he did say it was based on:

1) on artistic ability
2) marketing ability
3) great entrepreneur

But what weighing did he put on each one - we are not sure but I think as a photographer he most likely put more weight on artistic ability rather than marketing and business skills.

If he is like people on this forum - he won't put much weight on the photographers with great marketing and business skills but fair photography skills.

Jan 27, 2015 at 01:36 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

Congrats to everyone who made the list, sincerely. I think it's cool when anyone is named to be the 100 best! Especially when some of the names on the list are friends of mine.

One thing that I thought was interesting is that I've never heard of the person who started the list...not by name and not by his blog. And yet I saw people all sharing his website/blog on facebook. And why wouldnt they? They were named one of the 100 best! But I saw it as a smart marketing move from the guy who started the list! "I'll publish a list...name lots of good photographers...and they'll share the list bringing more viewers to my site!" Now I have no clue if it worked, but I think it was a good attempt!

Jan 27, 2015 at 01:36 PM
morby
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

It was really smart! He got millions of hits to his website from it. I'm truly proud of those that made the list too. I'd love to have that badge to show off.

canerino wrote:
Congrats to everyone who made the list, sincerely. I think it's cool when anyone is named to be the 100 best! Especially when some of the names on the list are friends of mine.

One thing that I thought was interesting is that I've never heard of the person who started the list...not by name and not by his blog. And yet I saw people all sharing his website/blog on facebook. And why wouldnt they? They were named one of the 100 best! But I saw it as a smart marketing move from the guy who started the list! "I'll
...Show more

Jan 27, 2015 at 01:42 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

canerino wrote:

One thing that I thought was interesting is that I've never heard of the person who started the list...not by name and not by his blog. And yet I saw people all sharing his website/blog on facebook. And why wouldnt they? They were named one of the 100 best! But I saw it as a smart marketing move from the guy who started the list! "I'll
...Show more

I've heard of him before. He's currently a Fearless Photographer member--originally part of the Foundation Workshop Forum before that site went dead. But he often posted/discussed business-related things. I believe some of his articles have also been featured on PetaPixel. Not necessarily a household name as far as photographers, but I recall seeing some good articles/posts from him out there on the internets.

Jan 27, 2015 at 01:42 PM
morby
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

Also, another FM regular, Grace Darnell of Right Start Photography made the list. She's worked hard the past few years and it's paid off.

Jan 27, 2015 at 01:44 PM
Littleguy
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

Touchι - learn something new everyday.

Now - that is marketing at its finest! Makes sense now why most of the photographers are in his local area.

canerino wrote:

...Show more

Jan 27, 2015 at 01:44 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

dhp_sf wrote:
I've heard of him before. He's currently a Fearless Photographer member--originally part of the Foundation Workshop Forum before that site went dead. But he often posted/discussed business-related things. I believe some of his articles have also been featured on PetaPixel. Not necessarily a household name as far as photographers, but I recall seeing some good articles/posts from him out there on the internets.

He's not part of Foundation.

Jan 28, 2015 at 02:00 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

I must have him confused with someone else then. But I have heard the name...

Jan 28, 2015 at 02:24 AM
widjayaman
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

I'm going to be 100% real here.

* I agree with chuck's assessment.

* There are MANY absolute standouts on that list. People who I expected to be there and was glad to see that they're there. Hoffer being one. Chrismans. Newsom. Emin. Laffler. Stripling. Buissink. Many others. These are the people who are pushing and redefining our industry, transcend the rest of the field, and are absolutely deserving to be there.

* There are many whose work I admire (and many I know personally) who deserve to be there. I see their names and I nod along, saying, "OK, yeah I can see that they're top 100. Their work are great."

* There aren't that many obvious glaring omission, but going by his (what I think is somewhat weak selection criteria,) there are some who absolutely need to be there. J Star, whether we like it or not, is a successful photographer. Ghionis operates a studio in LA so he definitely qualifies. Denis Reggie is one of those people who's pretty much a legend in my mind and his work is timeless, so I'm puzzled as of why he's not there.

* I also wish that the list was a US & Canada list. Then you get a lot more selective and can somewhat prevent my point above, as there are many transcendent photographers residing in the other side of the pond!

Even so, congrats for all the winners. I want that badge too!

Edited on Jan 17, 2016 at 07:45 PM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2015 at 08:51 AM
Syracuse

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

There are so many of these top 100 wedding photographer lists by so many different publication and blogs it's really tough to attach much significance to any of them.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:42 AM
ghdarnell
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Top 100 Wedding Photographers in the US – 2015

morby wrote:
Also, another FM regular, Grace Darnell of Right Start Photography made the list. She's worked hard the past few years and it's paid off.

Thanks so much Mike! To say we were shocked to be on the list next to names like Hoffer and Stripling is an understatement. Did we deserve "it". I don't know. But I do know it's motivation to keep improving.

Feb 06, 2015 at 11:45 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.