Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · I can't decide on what to purchase!

emeryz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I can't decide on what to purchase!

I hope this isn't in the wrong section..

I recently moved from New Zealand to Mexico while my wife finishes her degree, I left my first job here as the pay was too low, so I'm looking at starting my own business in graphic design and photography.

I'm not sure whether to buy a new camera, more lenses, a flash etc..
I also like to film but with my current 550D but it has always stuggled in low light. That's where the 6D sounds nice.
I'm looking at ordering online and getting the new items sent to Texas to cross over and pick it up.

Budget $2000-3000USD.
Current equipment: Canon 550D/T2i, 18-55mm & 50mm f/1.4 lens.

Thanks

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:50 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I can't decide on what to purchase!

Do you already have a computer for the graphic design or will that eat into your budget? You can't use flash for filming. Your lens line up is really thin. What kind of photography will you be doing?

Jan 25, 2015 at 02:16 AM
emeryz

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I can't decide on what to purchase!

Yeap I've got a PC and the software for it all.
The flash I'm looking for to replace my built in one for photography.
I'm looking at doing mostly photoshoots outside and I plan to do weddings and quinceaneras etc.

Jan 25, 2015 at 03:21 AM
Stunnaz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I can't decide on what to purchase!

It sounds to me like you're new to photography and my advice is to save that money for now. If you're not sure of what to buy then you probably don't need any additional equipments at this point in time. And if you're pretty new to photography, it will take awhile before you are experienced enough to take on paid-jobs.

Your current equipment is enough for you to practice becoming a better photographer. You have a pretty modern DSLR body, a prime lens and a zoom lens. Make sure you know every little function in the Canon user's manual for your camera body. After that you should finish a course on photography. It doesn't matter what course. You can go through a book, attend a photography class somewhere nearby, or Google online for websites/videos lessons. But finishing an entire course on basic photography is a good start.

If you find that your current camera struggles in low light, a new camera will not improve the situation. It's most likely due to technique/settings or maybe there just isn't enough light.

Jan 25, 2015 at 06:53 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I can't decide on what to purchase!

I agree with Stunnaz.

Do you really stand much chance of making a good income from your own business, especially as you need to invest in gear, skills, insurance, and perhaps qualifications ? And those skills include the necessary business skills. It will cost you time and money before you can reliably earn money, and even then it may not be as much as you expect.

Then again, if you get a "real" job (i.e. one that pays you) and can afford to buy gear then you are in a great position in that you can consider Nikon as well as Canon, because you are not heavily invested in Canon.

- Alan

Jan 25, 2015 at 07:18 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I can't decide on what to purchase!

Alan321 wrote:
I agree with Stunnaz.

Do you really stand much chance of making a good income from your own business, especially as you need to invest in gear, skills, insurance, and perhaps qualifications ? And those skills include the necessary business skills. It will cost you time and money before you can reliably earn money, and even then it may not be as much as you expect.

Then again, if you get a "real" job (i.e. one that pays you) and can afford to buy gear then you are in a great position in that you can consider Nikon as well as
...Show more

+1 You lack both the experience and the gear to make a success of professional photography at the moment - but experience is more important. If you want to see if you have the technical skill then try submitting to a Stock Library, such as Alamy. You won't make much money, but they only accept high quality images and it will be a good way of finding out if you have the technical ability
Niall

Jan 26, 2015 at 06:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.