New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Jeju

Mchu86
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jeju

Found this cool scene where I recently moved to. I'd like to go back at dawn/dusk depending on the tides and see what I can do. In the meantime, I took this one at late afternoon (not ideal).

I tried to do what I could, but I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall and could use some fresh eyes.

Thanks!

DSC_4889-1 by mchu004, on Flickr

Jan 24, 2015 at 07:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jeju

I really like the scene but I would see if I could eliminate the left most building. The others are small enough, but any you can eliminate will help IMO.

Jan 24, 2015 at 08:37 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jeju

I agree with Ben, lose the buildings on the left as they are distracting. Other than that you have a very nice image. Jim

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:01 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jeju

Nice scene for sure. Agree about losing the buildings... they don't seem to add much to the image of the river/hill.

I think a vertical crop would give a nice 'zig-zag river leading the eye to the hill' sort of image.

Also, I like your choice of shutter speed for the water. Lots of discussions about it, but whatever you chose here nicely shows off the 'raging power' of the stream without being too busy (lots of droplets) or too smoothed out.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:44 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jeju

The stream has a visual flow that's essentially a a sharpened "S curve". Above it is a natural terrain line that also guides the eye towards what seems to be an old multi-masted sailing ship. At such a small size it doesn't add much, although if printed quite large and viewed closely, it might become more important, although the buildings to the left of the ship would detract viewed that closely. I'd also suggest considering a different crop to lose the unappealing architecture on the left and better use the visual lines for a stronger composition. (Note, one trick for judging composition is to turn the image upside down. Upside down it's easier to understand the lines and content of an image as geometric abstractions rather than for their emotional and intellectual baggage.)

Jan 25, 2015 at 04:34 PM
Mchu86
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jeju

Thanks for all the comments; I'll try to clean it up a bit

Jan 26, 2015 at 04:40 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.