Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A White Form of the Lizard Orchid (Stereo)

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A White Form of the Lizard Orchid (Stereo)

I found this in northern Greece in 2012. On our last day before departure, my wife went for a walk before dinner and returned to give a description of a flower growing in a lane a few minutes walk away. From the description, I though it might be very special but my wife seemed unexcited about it. Anyway, after dinner, in the still-good light, I found it was what I thought, only even better.

It was a Lizard Orchid but it lacked any dark markings. Himantoglossum hircinum has been split into several species which cannot always be separated. This plant was growing in solitary isolation so I don't know if it was typical of its species in the area. Any way, it looks most like the Adriatic Lizard Orchid H. adriaticum. According to Zissis Antonopoulos of the Greek Orchids website, it is a hypochromic Himantoglossum jankae (syn H. caprinum).

Most important is its "wow" factor, with its delicate, flowing streamers. A very three-dimensional inflorescence, I have tried to represent the impression I had of it.

I was having severe problems with the helicoid of my Elmarit 60mm macro, causing some images to be just out of sharp focus, so I returned the following morning and re-shot some images with my 90mm Elmarit (not a macro lens).

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/userpix/462_File0388lizard_orchid_closeuptopazU1000_1.jpg

Some better images, but no stereo, of a cultivated, normal specimen are to be found here:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1343299

and here:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1343492

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

Cross-eye stereo

Jan 23, 2015 at 03:59 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A White Form of the Lizard Orchid (Stereo)

That is a tough subject! You did well.

Jan 23, 2015 at 08:35 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A White Form of the Lizard Orchid (Stereo)

That is a tough subject! You did well.

Jan 23, 2015 at 08:35 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A White Form of the Lizard Orchid (Stereo)

A neat flower Harold ~ Ron

Jan 23, 2015 at 09:10 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A White Form of the Lizard Orchid (Stereo)

Thanks, Ken and Ron.

One session was in late afternoon, as the light was fading. The second was after breakfast, in early morning light, with a long drive ahead and a plane to catch. So, no pressure!

Had my wife not mentioned, casually that she had seen some white flower, I could have taken more time with this, the find of the trip! Fortunately, I have done quite a bit of stereo, over several decades, such that it is almost instinctive.

Harold

Jan 23, 2015 at 09:24 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A White Form of the Lizard Orchid (Stereo)

Very unique flower. Good shots.
Don

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:29 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A White Form of the Lizard Orchid (Stereo)

DonGut wrote:
Very unique flower. Good shots.
Don

Thanks, Don.

These shots were recovered from a corrupted card!

Harold

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:37 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.