Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

Does anyone hate that the 5D3 resets default card to write to to the SD slot every time you take out a CF card and then put it back in?? Arrrr. And I constantly forget to swap back writing to CF slot. Why does it do that even when you have set the menu options to always default to CF card?

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:20 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

skibum5 wrote:
And I constantly forget to swap back writing to CF slot. Why does it do that even when you have set the menu options to always default to CF card?

I understand why they did it, but loathe it too. Is it even possible to always default to CF? I thought not. It's the closing the card door that does it.

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:26 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

Hate it!

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:28 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

skibum5 wrote:
Does anyone hate that the 5D3 resets default card to write to to the SD slot every time you take out a CF card and then put it back in?? Arrrr. And I constantly forget to swap back writing to CF slot. Why does it do that even when you have set the menu options to always default to CF card?

The 1D-X does the same, though between the two CF cards.
There are several threads about the issue.
It's a Canon software "feature" as my Nikons do not have that behavior.

EBH

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:42 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

Should be rectified in a firmware update with a menu option that reads, 'ALWAYS WRITE TO CF CARD WHEN AVAILABLE. THE CF CARD IS THE OVERLORD. IGNORE THE SD CARD IN THE CRIPPLED SLOT'.

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:44 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

Just keep the card door open after taking the cf-card out. Works for me

Jan 23, 2015 at 03:32 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

Eyvind Ness wrote:

Me too

Jan 23, 2015 at 04:41 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

Eyvind Ness wrote:

yes this . but if not its quicker to pop the SD card out again and close the door (which forces the camera to write to the CF) and then open the door and pop the SD back in than it is to go thru the menu (I dont want to use up a valuable space in the my menu for such a trivial task )

Jan 23, 2015 at 05:10 AM
HarveyGold
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

I discovered this a couple of years ago when I first got the camera and found out there is no fix for it. I decided to simply leave the SD slot empty as I usually forgot to change it back. I never understood why they didn't correct that. It's my only beef with the camera.

Jan 23, 2015 at 05:17 AM
altonsullivent

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

You can use the "Q" button to quickly change between card slots on 5D3 and 7DII.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:58 AM
HarveyGold
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

altonsullivent wrote:
You can use the "Q" button to quickly change between card slots on 5D3 and 7DII.

Yep, but you have to remember to do that. I always forgot.

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:07 AM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

I hate the behavior too. I leave the door open when a card is removed. I think the root problem here is that the camera is never really off. If it were off, it wouldn't notice the card missing until the next time it was powered on. Yes, Canon could easily fix this with a firmware update.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:19 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

Hate it too....

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:34 PM
Squinty
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

I prefer SD to CF. Canon did this for ME... sorry!

Jan 23, 2015 at 01:03 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

Squinty wrote:
I prefer SD to CF. Canon did this for ME... sorry!

Me too, plus I'm nearly always writing to both cards so the issue doesn't arise.

But I've learned to just not shut the card door

Jan 23, 2015 at 01:05 PM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

Magic lantern has included it as an option.

Here is what the ML menu item looks like....

Jan 23, 2015 at 05:26 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

It gets me every time. Much hate.

Jan 23, 2015 at 06:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

Paul Mo wrote:
Should be rectified in a firmware update with a menu option that reads, 'ALWAYS WRITE TO CF CARD WHEN AVAILABLE. THE CF CARD IS THE OVERLORD. IGNORE THE SD CARD IN THE CRIPPLED SLOT'.

The reverse option should also be available.
In the 5D III I solve the problem by not using an SD card.
In the 1D-X I usually pull the battery.

EBH

Jan 23, 2015 at 08:49 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

Well, prior to deciding to save RAW on the CF and JPG on the SD, I used to just leave the access door open while I downloaded the images off the CF card. It won't switch cards as long as the door is left open.

Jan 23, 2015 at 09:02 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · anyone else hate how the 5D3 resets write to SD from CF when....

Eyvind Ness wrote:

+1
Niall

Jan 24, 2015 at 05:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.