New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Unhappy with CPS

lpazxxsh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Unhappy with CPS

Im a gold member and I recently sent my 1D3 to CPS because the lens locking mechanism was stuck and wasnt able to secure the lens. I got an estimate for $197 in which I agreed and paid. A few days later I got another estimate for $497 which included the 20% off. I decided its too much at this point and asked to return the camera back. Since I got other cameras to use for work and my camera is functioning normal with just the lens lock not working. Also not a priority.
When I got the camera back I was shocked to see my camera in pieces and non fuctioning, further more theres a big deep scratch in top of the camera.which wasnt there before.
I expected my camera to be back in one piece, Its like bringing your car in to the dealer to get an estimate and getting your car back in pieces and non running.because you decided not to do the repair at this time.
So I wrote to cps how are they going to remedy this situation. They replied they will look further into it and get this handled.
What do you think CPS should do if you were in my shoes?

Edited on Jan 22, 2015 at 01:00 PM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:51 PM
Gai Shan

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Unhappy with CPS

What a bunch of jerks.
Give them 3 days then sic the BBB on them. That's unacceptable.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:52 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Unhappy with CPS

I would do what I should be done in any situation like this.
You get more bees with honey. Hot heads can get you nowhere.
Get on the phone, don't write them, and ask to speak with a service manager, calmly explain the entire situation and ask how he/she would propose to resolve all issues satisfactory and fairly. Be persistent but professional. If that person cannot help you, thank them for their time and understanding and ask to speak with their supervisor/superior. You are willing to hold on the phone line until you can speak with that person.
You did not state why the repair cost was more than the estimate, but until they inspect the camera, the initial estimate is a bit of a guess.

David

Jan 22, 2015 at 01:00 PM
lpazxxsh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Unhappy with CPS

They said in addition they needed to replace the mirror box. For $297: at this point I wasnt upset. I just decided not to fix it right now since I had other priorities and I have other cameras to use. Im upset why they didnt put my camera back in one piece. And also left a big scratch on top of the camera.

dgdg wrote:
I would do what I should be done in any situation like this.
You get more bees with honey. Hot heads can get you nowhere.
Get on the phone, don't write them, and ask to speak with a service manager, calmly explain the entire situation and ask how he/she would propose to resolve all issues satisfactory and fairly. Be persistent but professional. If that person cannot help you, thank them for their time and understanding and ask to speak with their supervisor/superior. You are willing to hold on the phone line until you can speak with that person.
You did not state why
...Show more

Jan 22, 2015 at 01:10 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Unhappy with CPS

Well, take a deep breath, and give them a call.

David

Jan 22, 2015 at 01:22 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Unhappy with CPS

Canon Virginia dropped my then new 1DMkIIn denting the top and breaking the top settings window and sent it back after a clean and check. I called and talked to them sent before pictures I took with the shipping labels before I sent it. They fixed the camera and sent it back in two days with more vouchers...Sorry to hear they still drop kick cameras. I know they will take care of it.

Jan 22, 2015 at 01:34 PM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Unhappy with CPS

Totally unacceptable, but not indicative of CPS at all. I suspect you got hit by a bad employee on a bad day.

I did the polite escalation thing recently when they wanted to charge me a third time for USM repair on 50mm f/1.4. I finally reached a manager who appreciated both politeness and humor, he acknowledged the lens is a dog (shocked the hell out of me) and they repaired it for free.

Jan 22, 2015 at 06:45 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Unhappy with CPS

lpazxxsh wrote:
Im a gold member and I recently sent my 1D3 to CPS because the lens locking mechanism was stuck and wasnt able to secure the lens. I got an estimate for $197 in which I agreed and paid. A few days later I got another estimate for $497 which included the 20% off. I decided its too much at this point and asked to return the camera back.

What happened between $197 and $497? It sounds like some of the narrative could be expounded upon.

Jan 22, 2015 at 06:53 PM
lpazxxsh
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Unhappy with CPS

sirimiri wrote:
What happened between $197 and $497? It sounds like some of the narrative could be expounded upon.

They told me i got the pre estimate. Then when they took it apart then they said i need to replace the mirror box.

Jan 22, 2015 at 08:31 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Unhappy with CPS

lpazxxsh wrote:
They told me i got the pre estimate. Then when they took it apart then they said i need to replace the mirror box.

So they broke something and want you to pay for it. At least that is what the cynic in me thinks.

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:08 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Unhappy with CPS

If it helps any, I had an episode with them and my 70 200 2.8 II which disengaged accidently from my camera and hit the wood floor. They assembled the lens backwards and sent it back also missing its endcap. It also would not focus properly. It took 2 trips back and many phone calls but finally it was completely resolved. Just hang in there and keep your cool. They should return the camera to it's original condition if you forgo the repair. I think they will. Just be sure and have them pay shipping both ways until it is made right.

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:24 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Unhappy with CPS

Thanks for the additional information.

Let me ask this: did you have any discussion or what one might call an argument about the repair cost and subsequently carrying it out? Because it sounds like they did a partial teardown and then ceased work when you refused the revised estimate.

I know that it seems like I'm pointing out the obvious above, but in the past a CPS CSR had told me that they repair an item to good working order (either at cost or warranty) if they will do any further work at all.

As a hypothetical example: you send them a DSLR with a severe autofocus problem, and it also has cracked condenser lens. By what he'd told me, Canon won't just repair the autofocus system and return the camera with something else that's not in good working order (said condenser lens). They would just abort the repair and return it to you at your cost. But, they wouldn't necessarily re-assemble a camera that's already broken; it's simply as stated, an aborted repair. It may seem like hardball, but one could argue that they are not going to get fully paid for the diagnosis, teardown and rebuild -sans repair- so they stop right there. Moreover, you could claim something else is wrong in the restoration to its prior broken state. I'm not saying they're right, nor that you are wrong but they've started a repair, probably not done a good job of the diagnoses and possibly mis-quoted you the real cost, then during the surgery said "whoa! this is worse then we thought, put more money on the table, please." and naturally one would feel like they're being held hostage so to speak.

You've paid them $197. Do they want an additional $300 for the mirror box, or a grand total of $694? That's not really germane to the "camera in pieces" bit above, but I am curious about the cost.

For sure, either Canon did not communicate or otherwise articulate well their service terms to you well enough, or perhaps you might have misunderstood one of the details. In any event, besides the dis-assembly issue your camera has seemingly suffered some additional damage at the hands of Canon and this is now a point of departure for the deeper discussion with them about how you're going to at least get your camera put back together, original issue repaired or not, to your satisfaction.

And, to Canon's.

They're neither illogical nor malicious at Canon. As others said above, keep your cool, keep your notes and records, and start the conversation with them. Be prepared to cede a little ground if their offer is close to "good enough".

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:11 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Unhappy with CPS

They should put you back in the position prior to the repair. They know that was wrong and they will more than likely take care of it. It's no way they can get away with that.

Just an FYI. Always take photos of your gear before sending to them or anyone, even if you are selling gear to cover your butt. I just don't trust folks with my stuff. They break it and try and charge you to repair their mistake. I've had auto mechanics try this in the past, but it didn't work.

Keep us updated.

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:37 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Unhappy with CPS

sirimiri wrote:
Thanks for the additional information.

Let me ask this: did you have any discussion or what one might call an argument about the repair cost and subsequently carrying it out? Because it sounds like they did a partial teardown and then ceased work when you refused the revised estimate.

I know that it seems like I'm pointing out the obvious above, but in the past a CPS CSR had told me that they repair an item to good working order (either at cost or warranty) if they will do any further work at all.

As a hypothetical example: you send them
...Show more

There is not a single puzzling word in the OPs post. So I don't know what your fishing expedition is about. All Canon estimates are pre-repair estimates. That means before the item is opened up. After opening his item they raised the price. This actually happens very often.

Jan 23, 2015 at 07:10 PM
lpazxxsh
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Unhappy with CPS

The original estimate was for $197 with the 20% off. The second estimate was a total of $476 including the mirror box.
The first estimate did not mention anything about a second estimate and the person i talked with said nothing about a second estimate because it seems like a simple fix.
I was upset that it wasn't returned to me back in its original condition which was in one piece and electronically and mechanically working condition before i sent it with the exception of the lens lock stuck. If i would have known they were going to send it back in pieces, then i wouldn't have agreed to the first estimate.

Jan 23, 2015 at 08:26 PM
lpazxxsh
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Unhappy with CPS

CPS sent me an email today and they said they regret what had happened and they're giving me a courtesy repair of my 1D3. I'm happy with the outcome, but i would been happy as well just getting my camera back in one piece.
I'm still sticking with canon products for now.

Jan 23, 2015 at 08:42 PM
codyconway
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Unhappy with CPS

lpazxxsh wrote:
CPS sent me an email today and they said they regret what had happened and they're giving me a courtesy repair of my 1D3. I'm happy with the outcome, but i would been happy as well just getting my camera back in one piece.
I'm still sticking with canon products for now.

Kudos to Canon for rectifying the issue rather quickly!

Jan 23, 2015 at 08:46 PM
lpazxxsh
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Unhappy with CPS

Andrew J wrote:
There is not a single puzzling word in the OPs post. So I don't know what your fishing expedition is about. All Canon estimates are pre-repair estimates. That means before the item is opened up. After opening his item they raised the price. This actually happens very often.

Thats fine, i understand the pre estimate. but i don't want to pay more than the camera is worth after they raise the price. Or almost close to a price that i can just buy a newer camera. At the same time they should at least put your camera back together.

Jan 23, 2015 at 08:46 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Unhappy with CPS

Andrew J wrote:
There is not a single puzzling word in the OPs post. So I don't know what your fishing expedition is about.

Editorial comment like that diminishes us both.

For my part, I think what I wrote encapsulates the possibilities and eventualities quite well...

...and without sniping.

Ipazz, it looks like Canon made you sweat and hustle a little for something in which you did no wrong. I'm glad to see that it's addressed by Canon in such fashion. You're whole again, too.

Jan 24, 2015 at 04:20 AM
Gai Shan

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Unhappy with CPS

They should give you a $100 voucher for the Canon store too, just to restore faith. Not right for them to jerk anyone around, and when they mess up, they should pay up.

Jan 29, 2015 at 03:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.