New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Slow Season

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Slow Season

I've been reviewing images I have taken over the past year and noticed an odd pattern when I went to check other years; I have a slow season. It seems every January and February I hardly take any pictures. Things pick up in March, and then in June, go through the roof due to sports. Things slow a bit in October through December ... then January drops like a rock again.

Funny, because it seems most of my NAS "germinates in January & February resulting in April/May purchases when I can't hold out any longer. Helps that April is bonus time.

Do other people see similar patterns?

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:32 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slow Season

Exact same pattern for me.

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slow Season

The pattern of your shooting coincides with changes in season, especially for someone who lives where there is real winter, as you do. Right now in northern California we generally have our rainy season. Yes the green hills are lovely, but I'm not inclined to head out and shoot when its drizzling or in the damp chill that come with weeks of rain. Apart from the green hills, pretty much everything else is without color. But at the moment, temperatures are in the 60s during the day and I have pulled out my camera and done a bit of shooting.

I always admire the folks who brave inclement weather to take photos. We have a couple of fellows who live in Rochester hanging out on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread and we've seen some REAL winter photos. Check this out Andre...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/4498#12804763

Beyond the natural cycle of shooting resulting from changes in weather, I have on occasion lost enthusiasm for shooting. When that happens, I do as you often do... chat online with my cyber friends about photography AND gear. The MFNG thread is moving continuously, in part because we have folks from around the world and both hemispheres. We're having winter, but my friend David just moved to Tasmania which is in the middle of summer and he is regaling us with amazing photos of a corner of the world I'll likely never visit. That is probably why that thread has become the largest on FM and continues to move ahead quite briskly.

Nice to get that bonus Andre... now if ONLY Nikon would produce something you want to buy...

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:51 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slow Season

If you shoot outdoors, weather is the main reason. Either too cold or here in Texas, too wet, too cold and way too many gloomy, overcast, gray days.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:43 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Slow Season

CGrindahl wrote:
The pattern of your shooting coincides with changes in season, especially for someone who lives where there is real winter, as you do. Right now in northern California we generally have our rainy season. Yes the green hills are lovely, but I'm not inclined to head out and shoot when its drizzling or in the damp chill that come with weeks of rain. Apart from the green hills, pretty much everything else is without color. But at the moment, temperatures are in the 60s during the day and I have pulled out my camera and done a bit of shooting.

I
...Show more

You got me thinking about other factors ... and here's my current thoughts: I love cold weather, so weather is not it ... it seems more to be an issue of motivation and time. I seem to be in a rut when it comes to creative photography work simply due to time ... it seems more to follow my kids activity. When I was not so burnt out with work and kids and thus did more creative stuff, my image rate was more consistent year round.

As for Nikon making something I WANT to buy, there is plenty of that! What I can afford and NEED is another thing.

I guess the real issue is I need to find something to motivate me to get back into creative photography again ... and a new piece of gear won't do that.

Jan 22, 2015 at 01:33 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Slow Season

Sometimes new gear, even old lenses, will prompt me to shoot again. I'd also note that loving cold weather is not the same as holding a cold metal camera with a bare hand when it is below freezing... But as a father with a large family and a full-time job to support them you have plenty of reason finding time for photography would be difficult.

A fellow is Australia who is complaining at the moment about high temperatures and high humidity is posting macro shots with between 150 and 200 images stacked. I often say to folks who are troubled by inclement weather or diminished motivation, to start shooting close with tubes. Amazing what we discover when we get very close to an environment we feel we know well because we see it every day.

Do you have extension tubes Andre?

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:06 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Slow Season

I have a micro lens, tubes and close up filters. Did you know even a 300 f/2.8 can be used to take close up shots when pared with a TC and tubes now if I could only get those darn dragonflies to stay still long enough.

OK, a close up search of the house with the camera is in order.

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:13 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Slow Season

I've used both teleconverter and tubes with my 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF AND it works! And you can shoot anything with interesting results... This sitting in my window, taken with the 55 f/2.8 AI-s, a closeup lens and 32mm worth of extension tubes. I saw this fellow sitting there and thought mmm... I could take a photo. Through dirty glass yet...

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yvJxai3YBI8/Tjxlj-QJXYI/AAAAAAAAJ70/xElYBofWrZM/s1000/55.32.VCloseup1.SpiderClose.jpg

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:19 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Slow Season

October through late March is "DROOL" season. It's cold and we sit on our butts at home, waiting for new Nikon announcements and ooohing and aaahhing over test shots of new Nikons that were just announced. We then buy gear to be ready for summer.

Jan 22, 2015 at 04:30 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Slow Season

Andre Labonte wrote:
You got me thinking about other factors ... and here's my current thoughts: I love cold weather, so weather is not it ... it seems more to be an issue of motivation and time. I seem to be in a rut when it comes to creative photography work simply due to time ... it seems more to follow my kids activity. When I was not so burnt out with work and kids and thus did more creative stuff, my image rate was more consistent year round.

As for Nikon making something I WANT to buy, there is plenty of
...Show more

If you like to talk, get yourself a cheap Nikkor MF lens and join us over on the MF thread. This ought to give you some fun for a while. Since your shooting DX, try the 50-135mm f3.5 AIS. You'll be surprised how good it is.

Forgot to mention, you can get them any where from $125 to $250 depending on the shape. Here's a link to show you some samples taken with it. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEWXxSY

Jan 22, 2015 at 04:48 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Slow Season

We might call that pandering Leighton...

Not that you're wrong, of course. Andre would be a great addition to the MFNG thread, though I don't know honestly if we need another person posting photos of snow from the Northeast... But he'd probably have great fun hanging out with our resident scientists who love to measure things...

Jan 22, 2015 at 05:27 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Slow Season

I am allergic to broken bones caused by falling on ice, so allergies keep me from shooting in winter. Granted, there are those who go shooting ice-covered light houses and snowy scenes, but they haven't developed the allergy--yet.

Jan 22, 2015 at 07:04 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Slow Season

CGrindahl wrote:
We might call that pandering Leighton...

Not that you're wrong, of course. Andre would be a great addition to the MFNG thread, though I don't know honestly if we need another person posting photos of snow from the Northeast... But he'd probably have great fun hanging out with our resident scientists who love to measure things...

Thanks guys, that is a very kinds invitation, but I don't have any MF glass ... unless of course you allow AF glass that is manually focused If I do join, I promise no snow shots. Of course, if the Df had been an all manual camera I would have bought one and some vintage glass to go with it and I'd be in that thread already.

I must say though, that is a cool thread and I do follow it from time to time for the awesome picture I see there.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:07 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Slow Season

Andre Labonte wrote:
I've been reviewing images I have taken over the past year and noticed an odd pattern when I went to check other years; I have a slow season. It seems every January and February I hardly take any pictures. Things pick up in March, and then in June, go through the roof due to sports. Things slow a bit in October through December ... then January drops like a rock again.

Funny, because it seems most of my NAS "germinates in January & February resulting in April/May purchases when I can't hold out any longer. Helps that April is bonus
...Show more

I take it you don't do much wildlife photography because Oct-Mar are prime time for that. Summer is when I'm the slowest.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:24 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Slow Season

Andre Labonte wrote:
Thanks guys, that is a very kinds invitation, but I don't have any MF glass ...

That is SOOO easy to remedy Andre...

Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI for $135

A great lens that will mount on your D300. We've had many friends shooting with the D200 and D300, so I KNOW the camera can handle the lens. The magic about MF shooting is that it SLOWS you down. For a man with such a busy life, I can imagine something that allows you to take a few deep breaths as you turn the focusing ring, would be very welcome. It will give you something to do this winter... throw an extension tube on it and it will be very happy as well.

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:19 AM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Slow Season

Pattern is reversed in drought-ridden southern California. Many photographic attractions here are too hot and glary much of the year. For example, the Los Angeles Zoo and most of the local botanical gardens are inland, with temperatures often near 100 degrees. Climbing steep hills with heavy camera equipment is typically miserable from May to November. Luckily the gardens in the LA area often open at 7AM for members in the hot months.

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Slow Season

davidnholtjr wrote:
I take it you don't do much wildlife photography because Oct-Mar are prime time for that. Summer is when I'm the slowest.

Really, what do you shoot? But yes, you are correct, shooting wildlife would require time to go out into the wilds WITHOUT noisy and impatient children. However, I did manage during my vacation to get out in the kayak this summer alone and got some great loon shoots and a few other creatures... I'll have to post some.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:29 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Slow Season

CGrindahl wrote:
That is SOOO easy to remedy Andre...

Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI for $135

A great lens that will mount on your D300. We've had many friends shooting with the D200 and D300, so I KNOW the camera can handle the lens. The magic about MF shooting is that it SLOWS you down. For a man with such a busy life, I can imagine something that allows you to take a few deep breaths as you turn the focusing ring, would be very welcome. It will give you something to do this winter... throw an extension tube on it and it will
...Show more

Oh very tempting... I do have a Nikon F2 with an old MF 50mm ... I may have to check it out if it mounts ... not even sure it's AIS.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:30 PM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Slow Season

I have the exact same pattern. I haven't picked up my camera since right before Christmas. January and Februrary are always slow months for me in terms of actually getting out and taking pictures. Usually it picks up in March since I typically head down to DC to photograph the cherry blossoms.

-Nick

Jan 23, 2015 at 02:34 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Slow Season

There's an easy answer (given the time & funds) to these periods of relaxation ... travel !

Jan 23, 2015 at 03:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.