Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

injail
• •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to buy 2 album builders as Fundy Designer and YSI. Those are good but I don't know which one is good.

YSI has more templates but it's not getting fast as Fundy Designer......

Does anyone give me any advises?

Thanks
Vic

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:34 AM
MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

SmartAlbums, no subscription fees

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:35 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

I've been using fundy designer for a while. I love it. If I dont like any of the premade templates, then I just design it manually.

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:44 AM
injail
• •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

Thanks MRomine,

The SmartAlbum supports for MAC only. Well, I'm using iMac and also PC in my office. Fundy supports for both PC and MAC....

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:56 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

injail wrote:
Thanks MRomine,

The SmartAlbum supports for MAC only. Well, I'm using iMac and also PC in my office. Fundy supports for both PC and MAC....

SA for PC is coming in a few months...as is the ability to manually adjust spreads

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:11 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

Have you looked at Albumstomp?

brad

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:58 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

DigMeTX wrote:
Have you looked at Albumstomp?

brad

Unless albumstomp has drastically improved, it is a terrible program. More buggy than almost anything I have ever used.

Jan 22, 2015 at 01:04 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

I downloaded the Fundy trial a few days ago and put together an album. I personally wasn't very overly impressed for the price tag. One thing that miffed me was they only had one album offering from BRI. Waiting for the PC version of smart albums.

Jan 22, 2015 at 01:40 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

joelconner wrote:
Unless albumstomp has drastically improved, it is a terrible program. More buggy than almost anything I have ever used.

Word is that it has drastically improved as far as the bugs go. I bought it since I still had a 50% off coupon but I haven't made an album with it yet. Anyone can try it on a trial basis and see for themselves if it's buggy.

brad

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:15 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

I use and like Fundy — as a legacy user, the upgrade was cheap for me so I dropped Smart Albums at the end of the beta stage. No complains with Fundy. Smooth, fast, and continually updated.

Jan 22, 2015 at 05:37 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

LeeSimms wrote:
I use and like Fundy — as a legacy user, the upgrade was cheap for me so I dropped Smart Albums at the end of the beta stage. No complains with Fundy. Smooth, fast, and continually updated.

Yeap. Same here. I upgraded I think for $39. So far I love it.

Jan 22, 2015 at 06:29 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

Another vote for Fundy.

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:32 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

Fundy. And they have some really awesome features coming soon, including 'fundy direct' where you can design and order your album through the software. No dealing with ROES. And I'm really excited about this feature--it will make designing so fluid but still allow me to tweak things if I want!

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:22 PM
Chris Bues

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

I use Fundy, but I really wish they would deal with some of the layout bugs instead of worrying about direct ordering to Album companies.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:33 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

Can fundy cycle through available layouts automatically for a set of images on a page like SmartAlbums? That seems to be the killer feature for quickly making layouts for me.

Jan 24, 2015 at 03:52 PM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

stevez32 wrote:
Can fundy cycle through available layouts automatically for a set of images on a page like SmartAlbums? That seems to be the killer feature for quickly making layouts for me.

Yes. You can preview all their suggested layouts, and even mix it up again for other ideas. The one issue I have with their mix up right now is the aspect ratios of all the images have to be the same. I believe they are updating this though.

Jan 24, 2015 at 04:29 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

I've just purchased Fundy after also trying Smart Albums.

I loved the speed of SM, particularly with the ability to simply click through layout options and then move images around manually.

Fundy allows you to do this on a double page spread, or you can rotate layouts on just one page. Additionally you can make selections as to image formats (1:1, 3:2, original shape), so the layout changes to suit.

You can also drag the collection of images on a page side to make them bigger or go over the centre fold.

In terms of resizing images within existing templates, both softwares offer the same, but the Fundy solution for creating PSDs also allows resizing / positioning in PS.

Both allow adjustments in PS as multi-layered designs. (SM creates the PSDs a little quicker, but it's something you let the PC do whilst you are having dinner... or a drink or two...)

My usual albums are very bespoke, averaging some 7-8 days in post AFTER the Lightroom adjustments have been done in full, (with 3-4 days of this being the album design). But I've been looking for a speedier option to provide a more economical option to the deluxe version and so speed is important.

I did tests to compare and found I could design a 145 image album in 1 hour with SM, and then 1 hour 30 mins in Fundy. Each then receives an extra 1 hour 30 mins in PS with adjustments to match and balance images on pages.

So, slightly slower - but most likely because I played a little more with the extra flexibility offered in Fundy. If I hadn't, I'm guessing much the same for each.

Fundy are doing some upgrades which will make things a little faster in the next month or two. Happy I made the choice.

Jan 24, 2015 at 04:30 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fundy Designer vs YSI

leethecam wrote:
Fundy are doing some upgrades which will make things a little faster in the next month or two. Happy I made the choice.

should have waited a bit to try out SA...version 2 is about to hit.

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.