p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A good article about Broncolor Para Reflectors

There is good article about Broncolor Para Reflectors if someone interested
https://fstoppers.com/originals/20000-broncolor-lighting-really-worth-it-55070

Jan 21, 2015 at 09:11 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A good article about Broncolor Para Reflectors

I really enjoyed the article, thanks for sharing Value is a very subjective thing sometimes; it depends on how much money you are willing to spend, how useful/functional the equipment is for you in real life, and how "good" the equipment makes you feel about your work and sets you apart from others. I liked the watch example in the comment section.

I am planning to get the Westcott Zeppelin as a more affordable option.

Jan 22, 2015 at 05:22 PM
Deezie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A good article about Broncolor Para Reflectors

Haven't used the Zepplin, but I've seen it up close at Samy's Camera in LA. It is mean looking and it would seem with all that depth it can really focus on the subject and give you an amazing wrap around effect.

BTW, other than the high costs of Bron, it's hard to say anything bad about their products. It's a terrific brand.

Jan 22, 2015 at 06:09 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A good article about Broncolor Para Reflectors

It is a good article - thanks for sharing. These do seem to give a really distinctive look - just whether Bron is any different at all in the final result seems debatable.

The Zepplin is also madly overpriced, it is just a rebrand of korean stuff that can be had for 150euros.

Jan 23, 2015 at 05:50 PM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A good article about Broncolor Para Reflectors

Mark_L wrote:
It is a good article - thanks for sharing. These do seem to give a really distinctive look - just whether Bron is any different at all in the final result seems debatable.

The Zepplin is also madly overpriced, it is just a rebrand of korean stuff that can be had for 150euros.

which ones? I am about to buy the Zep and I wouldn't mind saving some $!

Jan 24, 2015 at 06:55 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A good article about Broncolor Para Reflectors

hijazist wrote:
which ones? I am about to buy the Zep and I wouldn't mind saving some $!

Westcott Zeppelin is a rebranded Aurora Tera softbox from Korea (also Glow Grand Softbox from adorama), whereas Dynalite ones are rebranded Rime Lite, also from Korea (for sale at B&H also branded Mikrosat Grandbox or Illuminate Pro).

The latter looks to be the best option: http://www.making-photo-gear.com/focusable-parabolic-reflector-comparison-of-softboxes/

Jan 24, 2015 at 07:11 AM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A good article about Broncolor Para Reflectors

Thanks for the article.

Aside from winning the lottery, I don't think I'd ever get Broncolor.
I really like picture 5 (not counting the initial / equipment picture) but that has to do with the model. He says it had a distinguished look and saved processing time... it'd be more interesting if he was able to show that.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:56 AM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A good article about Broncolor Para Reflectors

Mark_L wrote:
Westcott Zeppelin is a rebranded Aurora Tera softbox from Korea (also Glow Grand Softbox from adorama), whereas Dynalite ones are rebranded Rime Lite, also from Korea (for sale at B&H also branded Mikrosat Grandbox or Illuminate Pro).

The latter looks to be the best option: http://www.making-photo-gear.com/focusable-parabolic-reflector-comparison-of-softboxes/

First, it is impossible to create a true parabola using rods and fabric - the more rods and panels, the closer one can get. This is because the angle of incidence varies along the flat surface of each fabric panels and thus can only produce a true parabola in the form of "spokes". It's also impossible to produce a true parabola using a single "pivot stretching point" to bend the rods. This results in an arc rather than a parabola.

Final, a true parabola - achievable only with a round shape - i.e. a spun metal reflector, i.e. satellite dish, can only be focused to other than a single focal point with the undesirable hot spots and dead spots demonstrated in the link.

I suggest a reader with excellent CAD skills plot the angles of beam projection from a true parabola, and from a segmented fabric parabola, move the light source in and out and see the lack of desired result.

Believe me, I have spent hundreds of hours doing this as well as many hours of rod-bending and making prototypes.

Point of fact - if it's truly focusable and produces freedom from hot and cold spots, whether metal or fabric, it not a true parabolic shape. It's an optimized derivation of a true parabola. This includes our PLM.

Jan 24, 2015 at 02:19 PM
dwalden

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A good article about Broncolor Para Reflectors

Paul Buff wrote:
First, it is impossible to create a true parabola using rods and fabric - the more rods and panels, the closer one can get. This is because the angle of incidence varies along the flat surface of each fabric panels and thus can only produce a true parabola in the form of "spokes". It's also impossible to produce a true parabola using a single "pivot stretching point" to bend the rods. This results in an arc rather than a parabola.

Final, a true parabola - achievable only with a round shape - i.e. a spun metal reflector, i.e. satellite dish,
...Show more

Although Paul was correct (RIP!), achieving a true parabola is probably not even a desirable result for larger reflectors. Approximations are the way to go, and help to soft/wrap the light more. True parabolas produce the same lighting effect as a Fresnel lens, in terms of light collimation (light rays shooting out in a collinear/parallel manner). But if you've seen Fresnel-based hot lights (HMI's/tungstens) used on a film set, they are pretty much *always* used with diffusion in front of them, because the light is just too specular (virtually identical to sunlight). That's because the Fresnel lens is achieving an even more "perfect" light collimating effect. So the "imperfections" of a fabric-based parabola are actually helping to *slightly* soften the light more, and produce a more desirable effect on skin, without having to rely on nylon/paper diffusion. It's also good to have a reflective fabric that has some "pebbling" or "soft" silver finish in order to give it a softer feel.

cheers,
david

May 08, 2016 at 07:44 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.