New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

Beni
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

Hi folks.

I'm assured that this macro is incredibly good. Is it still as good when mounted on a 35mm FF sensor?

Our Mamiya DF camera has died for good on us. We are waiting for the Sony A9 before deciding whether to invest in more medium format stuff or just give it up. We're shooting with a D800e and 60/105mm Nikkor Macro lenses at present in replacement of the DF but the lenses just don't match our Schneider 80mm or Mamiya 120mm AF Macro, especially in the edges and corners. Problem is these lenses don't have aperture rings so I can't just mount them on an adaptor. We do want to stick with what we know works (the Mamiya lenses work perfectly contrast/sharpness/colour for our uses), I'm assured the 120mm non AF is exactly the same optics and the Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro is an incredible lens. Just wondering whether they will still work as well, i.e. substantially better at the edges than the Nikkors, as they do on a digital back? We would be using even more of 'just the centre of the frame' than the digital back does thereby solving the corners problem however it's whether the lens itself can match with such high pixel density.

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2015 at 08:05 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

I had reasonable luck with one on a A99 and a nex7. Not sure of the magnification you want though... lemme look through my files. I did notice that it is notably less impressive than the Mamiya 120mm.

Jan 21, 2015 at 08:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

I use the Zeiss Makro-Planar 50/2 ZE, Mamiya 645 C 80/4N Macro, and Mamiya A 120/4 Macro on Canon DSLR (mostly 6D). They're all equally excellent lenses, and I use them a lot. I have the Mamiya 1:1 extension tube (Auto Macro Spacer) for the 80/4N, but I generally switch to the 120/4 Macro when I want above 1:2 mag.

Jan 21, 2015 at 09:09 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

Just netted one on ebay from Japan for $200. For that price I can afford to try I think.

Jan 21, 2015 at 01:02 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

Mamiya macros are ok, but not stellar in my opinion. The 80/4N is based on classic double-gauss design, and is clearly softer than 120/4A. If you need performance, I'd suggest Zeiss 100MP or Leica 100 APO.

Jan 23, 2015 at 09:52 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

The 80mm is nice, the 120/4 exceptional.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:33 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

The 120/4 isn't the sharpest macro I own, but it is evenly sharp across the frame on any 135 FF I've put it on, and the files take to sharpening very well. It does have the nicest bokeh of any dedicated macro I've used. The only thing I've found that comes close is using the Leica Tele-Elmar-M 135 head on a bellows rig.

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:42 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

freaklikeme wrote:
The 120/4 isn't the sharpest macro I own, ....

What is?

Jan 24, 2015 at 03:28 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

We have been using the 120mm f4 Macro, AF version, for two years. It is not as sharp/contrasty as the 80mm Schneider (both used on 40 megapixel digital back) however it is heads and shoulders above the Nikkor 105mm Macro at the edges of the frame which according to Photodo testing is better at the corners and edges than the Zeiss equivalent. Keep in mind that the digital back we have is not FF 645 so it's not using the absolute edges of the lenses whereas the D800e is going right to the edge of that 105mm. Using the mamiya, which is a flat field lens, on a DSLR will mean a heavy crop of the image circle which should keep the corners significantly better, if the overall resolution can keep up with that pixel pitch.

Jan 24, 2015 at 11:09 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

JohnJ wrote:
What is?

The Leica APO 100, but it's not native 1:1, and the Hasselblad S-Planar 135. Even the S-Planar 60 is center-sharper, but it loses a bit at the edges.

Jan 24, 2015 at 02:36 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

freaklikeme wrote:
The Leica APO 100, but it's not native 1:1, and the Hasselblad S-Planar 135. Even the S-Planar 60 is center-sharper, but it loses a bit at the edges.

Thanks

Jan 24, 2015 at 06:41 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

Try the Zeiss 120mm Makro, for the Contax 645. It's stellar. It would be worth buying a junky Contax 645 body for, to set your desired aperture.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:52 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

We could run our Mamiya AF lenses that way to be honest using our broken DF to stop them down. Two reason for not doing it. First of all extremely precise focusing at f16 (we shoot manuscripts at f16 due to page curvature) is very difficult. We focus wide open using live view then stop down for repeatable optimal results. Second of all it's not a long term solution for a busy studio whose equipment philosophy has to be in the 5-10 year range. Buying or keeping obsolete cameras just to trick lenses into stopping down is not a professional solution. I could not build a busy studio's workflow on this kind of trick. It would worry me no end. So many things that could go wrong. I could just see Murphy lurking in the shadows giggling and rubbing his hands together at the very concept.

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:55 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

There is always the option of a Contax 645 to Canon EF adapter that includes all native functionality, but that might also be more complicated than what you're interested in.

Jan 26, 2015 at 04:54 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mamiya 80mm f4 Macro - thoughts

Also requires using a canon until they get their IQ back in the game they are hardly a candidate as a replacement for medium format digital like the D800e we're using.

Jan 26, 2015 at 05:04 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.