FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Processing 7d2 Files

gschlact
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Processing 7d2 Files

Scott Stoness wrote:
You could try going to the apple store with your raw and uploading into aperture on the new 5k imac, and see if has more resolution. If you see more resolution consistent with the camera lcd, you know its not a canon camera hardware, canon setting problem.

I had to investigate these high resolution monitors. Despite the higher resolution, most of the display software (even at 100% viewing of the native image pixels), uses DIP (display independent pixels) and only display 160 image pixels per inch which get mapped the the displays "points/pixels". For example, on my 2500 pixel/point wide tablet display which actually has 320 ppi, at 100% it only displays 1250 image pixels wide. My guess is that your monitor is just fine.

Please see previous post's questions about those 3 settings.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:35 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Processing 7d2 Files

gschlact wrote:
By the way, I don't remember seeing a response. What was your settings for First and Second Shutter Priority set for, Focus or Release Priority?
How about your IS on lens, on, or off?
If focus priority and IS off, it would definitely support the heat shimmer theory.

Both to equal, not sure on the IS - it was my 600II on a tripod and gimbaled. Not sure if the IS cuts off then.

Heat shimmer it was not, as it was pretty overcast and 35 degrees.

Jan 22, 2015 at 01:15 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Processing 7d2 Files

bipock wrote:

35 and overcast still doesn't mean it was not heat shimmer. if the air temperature was different than the ground /water temperature, it still can occur.

I do suggest:
1. changing your First and Second Shutter priority to FOCUS in stead of Equal. Since you working on forcing focus, and question the algorithm, force the camera to only shoot when it has focus. If it doesn't release shutter when depressed, you'll know it has not achieved focus. You can then play with the Focus Search setting. (Canon recommends leaving search=off for super tele's, but this could leave a non-focus-achieved, no shot result).

2. changing tracking to -2, until you otherwise need to change it.

Jan 22, 2015 at 01:37 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Processing 7d2 Files

Sorry, typo on my part. Both are set to focus, therefore set "equally".

Tracking is already at -2.

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:10 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Processing 7d2 Files

bipock wrote:
Sorry, typo on my part. Both are set to focus, therefore set "equally".

There happens to be an EQUAL settiing for the First and Second Shutter release priority (equal), versus FOCUS.
Hopefully they are both set fully to FOCUS setting.

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:13 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Processing 7d2 Files

You are correct and they are both set to FOCUS.

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:16 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Processing 7d2 Files

more than likely, the IS on the tri-pod automatically kicked off.
However, was it windy? If so, IS might have been on and not settles.
Otherwise, i would chalk it up to shimmer.

Hopefully your next outing will produce better results.

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:18 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Processing 7d2 Files

also, wondering aloud...
IF Focus Search = OFF, and 1st and 2nd priority set to FOCUS, does the camera still think it is in focus (when in near-focus) and searching doesn't occur?
If so, then it might be better to make Search = On so that the camera knows it is not yet done focusing.

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:23 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Processing 7d2 Files

bipock wrote:

You can get heat shimmer at minus 35 degrees.

Jan 22, 2015 at 02:36 PM
newseum
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Processing 7d2 Files

http://youtu.be/dOjxuxlduoc

Jan 22, 2015 at 03:30 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Processing 7d2 Files

gschlact wrote:
I had to investigate these high resolution monitors. Despite the higher resolution, most of the display software (even at 100% viewing of the native image pixels), uses DIP (display independent pixels) and only display 160 image pixels per inch which get mapped the the displays "points/pixels". For example, on my 2500 pixel/point wide tablet display which actually has 320 ppi, at 100% it only displays 1250 image pixels wide. My guess is that your monitor is just fine.

Please see previous post's questions about those 3 settings.

Finally a possible explanation, this woudl explain the difference. If LR presents display independent pixels (eg stretchs 150ppi to fit the screen, you would get no more resolution on a bigger screen than a smaller screen

If LR is this way, your question is answered.

Anyone know if LR uses DIP. Or whether an older version does and you have old.

Jan 22, 2015 at 06:19 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Processing 7d2 Files

I don't believe LR or PS are DIP. 100% means 100% mapping, hence your image on highres monitor will resemble print size (320ppi), so working at 100% becomes harder as the image is physically smaller to view on the monitor. Many purists do not like needing to go to 200% as it is a pixel doubling and perceived sharpness may not be as good as 100% on a lower res monitor.

Jan 22, 2015 at 06:36 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Processing 7d2 Files

gschlact wrote:
I don't believe LR or PS are DIP. 100% means 100% mapping, hence your image on highres monitor will resemble print size (320ppi), so working at 100% becomes harder as the image is physically smaller to view on the monitor. Many purists do not like needing to go to 200% as it is a pixel doubling and perceived sharpness may not be as good as 100% on a lower res monitor.

I read on the infinite web that when Apple Retina came out, photoshop was not able to take advantage of it. This suggests that it was dipp'ed. The reading said that cs6 was planned to be updated to enable retina (2k?) to be taken advantage of. This suggests older versions of LR, are dipped.

To the OP, what version of LR are you using?

Version 4.3 and on is capable of Retina (2k). What version is OP on?

Jan 22, 2015 at 06:45 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Processing 7d2 Files

Read this:
http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html
starting at "Render 1:1 previews intentionally"
It suggests that you have to select 1:1 to get full resolution.

Check your settings on import and change them to 1:1 and this may result in greater on screen resolution.

Jan 22, 2015 at 09:51 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Processing 7d2 Files

Scott Stoness wrote:
Read this:
http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html
starting at "Render 1:1 previews intentionally"
It suggests that you have to select 1:1 to get full resolution.

Check your settings on import and change them to 1:1 and this may result in greater on screen resolution.

Scott - for LR, when it is referring to Render 1:1 previews intentionally, it is referring to the "pre-rendering" so that you don't have to wait for it to render 1:1 (100%) during the Develop Module exercises. If you don't pre-render automatically on Sync /import, you'll just have to wait. It is not as if it won't show you 1:1.

Jan 23, 2015 at 05:28 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.