Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Final Review of the Canon 7D2 + 100-400 MKii (1)

BNJarrett
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Final Review of the Canon 7D2 + 100-400 MKii (1)

So I have had the combo for 2 weekends / 10 days, and it time for me to decide.  Keep them, take one, or both back.

Canon 100-400mm IS Mark ii
I wanted something lighter than my 500mm to hike deeper into the mountains and also have a back up to the 500mm.  I wanted a more compact travel lens that I would count on and not be forced to feel like I left something home going without my trusty 50mm. Mission accomplished.  The lens is extremely well built.  On par with the mark ii version of the 70-200 IS.   The lens focused and tracks well on both bodies I used it on.  It is slightly slower to lock on that my 70-200mm or my 500mm prime.  But then again I would expect it to.  It held focus really well.  The IS is very quiet and smooth.  A definite improvement over a handheld Canon 400mm 5.6 without IS.  The over size of the lens is shorter than the 70-200 and will be making a home in my camera bag!

Canon 7D Mark ii and Canon 100-400mm IS Mark ii combination:
It is like this pair was designed at Canon to be paired together.   This Combo Is Incredible

Day 1 Pheasants

Day 2 Eagles

Day 3 More Eagles

Day 3 Six Pack on Ice

Sharpness, Focus, Telephoto Results

High ISO comparison

Day 9 Eagles

One of my favorite Eagle photos came from this combo during my field testing.

Captured under perfect light and perfect conditions!

This combo is perfect for sports and or wildlife.  I didn't have the chance to shoot any sports with it, but it might be limited by the f5.6 @ 400mm on a game under the lights.  It should perform well on daytime games.  My keeper rate on birds in flight was higher than normal with this combo. I am accrediting this to the lighter weight and being able to hand hold verses shooting from a tripod and gimbal.  If you are looking for a really solid pair, the search is over. If you are coming from anything other than a Canon 1DX, you will be very happy with the performance and results from this combination.

Canon 7D Mark ii Body
What got me interested in this body is a couple things.  First I used to have two matched gripped 7D's.  I shot weddings and wildlife successfully with them.  I finally saved up enough to buy a 1DX for Christmas 2013.  Right away I sold one of the 7D's and held the other one for a backup.  I never picked up my backup 7D once.  Once rumors of the new 7D2 were flying I sold my second backup 7D before the used market prices fell.

So I have been shooting without a backup body for 6 or 7 months and my camera fund had grown enough to start shopping.  My son upgraded one of his 7D's to a 5DMKiii. I have really enjoyed shooting with his 5D3.  I was torn between staying full-frame and getting a 5D3, or trying out the 7D2.  So that brings up to the past 10 days and my field testing.

If this combo would have been around before I bought my 1DX, I would be owning 2 of them.  One gripped and one without a grip.  But I already own and have mastered my Canon 1DX, so I find the 7D2 a step down and the body will be returned.

The 7D2 body MSPP is 1800, the Canon 1DX MSRP is 6800. It wasn't ever fair for me to compare the the two.  I was hoping for 80% of the 1DX for 38% of the price.  Don't get me wrong this is a SOLID body and WAY better than the 7D1.  I am blessed and can afford the 1DX for my hobby.  I will be picking up a 5D3 or a second 1DX if when the price falls.

I really hope people don't take my review in anyway of bashing the 7D2.  I just don't need a second wildlife camera, and really needed more of a landscape / portrait camera body.

If there is interest, I'll do another review of the 5D3 after she arrives.  Hope the past 10 days worth of blogs have been worth your time, but I figured tons of other people are struggling with the same question: where is the best bang for the buck?

Conclusion:

Keeping the 100-400 mkii, returning the 7D2 body.

Thanks for stopping by, Life is good, and I am blessed!
Kent

Jan 20, 2015 at 08:09 PM
hulgar
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Final Review of the Canon 7D2 + 100-400 MKii (1)

You took some great photos and thanks for the thoughtful review. I have the 7DII-100-400II combination and hope to get to your level someday. There have been some growing pains but I'm working through them and your photos show it's worth it. I'd be very interested in a 5DIII review if you are so inclined.

Jan 20, 2015 at 08:54 PM
lowside67
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Final Review of the Canon 7D2 + 100-400 MKii (1)

Thanks for the review Kent. If you are hoping for a landscape/portrait camera body for a second, you really should give the 6D a test drive. It's great, it's all the IQ that a 5D3 can muster in a super simple cheap body. It seems silly but I love how simple the autofocus is, how few menus there are, everything is simply faster and easier to get to. It's not a replacement for a 5D3 and certainly not a 1DX, but for what you have stated - portraits, landscapes, and for me - hiking, traveling, etc. it's PERFECT. It's really worth a try.

Cheers

Jan 20, 2015 at 09:00 PM
BNJarrett
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Final Review of the Canon 7D2 + 100-400 MKii (1)

hulgar wrote:
You took some great photos and thanks for the thoughtful review. I have the 7DII-100-400II combination and hope to get to your level someday. There have been some growing pains but I'm working through them and your photos show it's worth it. I'd be very interested in a 5DIII review if you are so inclined.

Thank you! Not sure if I really need to review the 5D3 as my son has one and I shot with it a lot. To me the 7D2 was a jr 1DX, and the 5D3 is a portrait camera.

Does that makes sense?
Kent

Jan 22, 2015 at 08:41 AM
BNJarrett
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Final Review of the Canon 7D2 + 100-400 MKii (1)

lowside67 wrote:
Thanks for the review Kent. If you are hoping for a landscape/portrait camera body for a second, you really should give the 6D a test drive. It's great, it's all the IQ that a 5D3 can muster in a super simple cheap body. It seems silly but I love how simple the autofocus is, how few menus there are, everything is simply faster and easier to get to. It's not a replacement for a 5D3 and certainly not a 1DX, but for what you have stated - portraits, landscapes, and for me - hiking, traveling, etc. it's PERFECT. It's really
...Show more

You are welcome. I got a heck of a deal on the 5D3 and already have it in hand.

Thanks for your input!
Kent

Jan 22, 2015 at 08:42 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Final Review of the Canon 7D2 + 100-400 MKii (1)

Fantastic shot Kent

Jan 23, 2015 at 01:26 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Final Review of the Canon 7D2 + 100-400 MKii (1)

the eagle's very nice Kent

Jan 23, 2015 at 03:11 AM
BNJarrett
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Final Review of the Canon 7D2 + 100-400 MKii (1)

sritri wrote:
Fantastic shot Kent

Thank you!

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:59 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Final Review of the Canon 7D2 + 100-400 MKii (1)

Good stuff Kent, thanks for the review.

Rod

Jan 23, 2015 at 09:43 PM
BNJarrett
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Final Review of the Canon 7D2 + 100-400 MKii (1)

rprouty wrote:
Good stuff Kent, thanks for the review.

Rod

You are very welcome!

Feb 03, 2015 at 09:10 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.