New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

Squirrely Eyed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

I'm working on this with the intention of "printing" a photo throw as a special gift for the "mother" of this recently deceased dog. He was her first "child" and I figured a photo throw is nice to preserve the good memories. I kindly request your feedback & assistance.

A few points to consider:
1. I can't redo the shot, if this one won't work well for the project I'll have to find another in the library.
2. It's cropped as wide as I can due to the dimensions of the throw.

Some questions I have:
A) Any experience with photo throws, do they come out dark, bright, etc.?
B) Do the colors and brightness look like they will work for such a thing?
C) Is it too obvious that I cloned out the shadow on the grass? Should I maybe handle it some other way?

Much thanks for your help.

edit: posted a smaller version. Larger versions should be available via the link.
Stanley_rug-9

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:58 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

I didn't see it at first look (not looking for the clone, just viewing the image) ... but looking for the clone, I can see the repetition. A little heal, reposition or diff stamp to break up the repetition might help, but it is pretty slight to notice ... and in fabric, likely less so.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:04 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

I think it would be fine. Print it in 300dpi, make the file as big as you can and all should be well....took me a bit to see the cloning. If you hadn't said anything I probably wouldn't have noticed. Your mom will really like that throw.....Great idea!

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:43 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 20, 2015 at 06:26 PM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

I also would not have noticed the cloning if you hadn't mentioned, but I do see some minor horizontal artifacts in/around the clone I would clean up.

I think it is a wonderful pic. Being a dog lover myself, I would love to have a shot like this to remember my pet by. You might want to tone down the highlights just a bit. The dogs face seems a little bright to me, but it is certainly personal preference.

Sorry to hear the dog has left us

Dogs are people too

Jan 20, 2015 at 08:23 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

Thanks. They are indeed people, and great ones at that!

Hopefully I'll get some time tonight to work on the artifacts. I'll also revisit the highlights. I did tone them down a bit already, he was pretty grey in the face, but I agree maybe I can work it a bit more. I had left it a little bright figuring that the throw will probably be a bit darker than on the screen.

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:22 AM
Maritan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

Agreed, the highlights seem a touch too bright. But that's without knowing what the dog looked like in person.

Nice of you to make a throw. I still miss my old Dalmatian that I lost over a year ago.

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:55 AM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

I ended up opting for a woven cotton throw for this project. By nature of the product, it loses the color accuracy, dynamic range, and fine detail. I'm still glad I took out the leash & shadow to refine this picture, they would just be minor details in this particular medium.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:03 AM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

They will LOVE this shot, don't worry about the details that we have to look to find, the subject is ALL that's important
Tx, Bob

Feb 19, 2015 at 03:55 PM
RKnecht
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

I sell quite a bit of woven throws. I noticed the cloning pretty easily. In a print, the cloning would be an issue. However, for a throw, it will be fine, as throws do lose a bit of detail. I also find that throws can be a touch dark, but this looks bright enough to overcome that.

Feb 19, 2015 at 05:31 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

BobnJake wrote:
They will LOVE this shot, don't worry about the details that we have to look to find, the subject is ALL that's important
Tx, Bob

Thanks for the nice comment.
---------------------------------------------

RKnecht wrote:
I sell quite a bit of woven throws. I noticed the cloning pretty easily. In a print, the cloning would be an issue. However, for a throw, it will be fine, as throws do lose a bit of detail. I also find that throws can be a touch dark, but this looks bright enough to overcome that.

Thanks for the comments and information. The particular woven one I got has somewhat of an edge-detect filter applied to it prior to weaving, which makes it a bit more abstract and loses all the fine detail. I'm glad I left it a bit bright hoping to overcome an expected darker result in the product.

From where do you get your throws, if you don't mind sharing?

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:19 AM
milkod2001
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Golden in the grass -- C&C please

nice shot

pretty much ready to go.

I would not worry about not having 100% job done with cloning tool as nobody will spot it unless you will point at it.

If you are not printing yourself it would be no harm to find out what color profile printing company prefer(RGB/CMYK) and how in general is color and brightness reproduction. There is no setting for all printers and all printing mediums.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:25 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.