Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

NatureLover
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

I have heard conflicting reports about shooting with IS on or off. Some people say that when you use IS, it helps to allow you to use slower shutter speeds or shoot in lower light, but the images are never as sharp as when you do not use IS. I remember years ago when the first video camcorders came out with this technology, that was the rule. Use it when you must, but expect the results to be less sharp. But, some people say that they always keep the IS on, and it doesn’t affect the image in a negative way at all. I’d like to know what you think? Are there any drawbacks to using IS (other than higher battery usage)?

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:40 AM
dacop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

The only time I use IS is when I am shooting 1/60 or lower. Orchestra performances, Choir concerts and some plays. I do not keep it on all the time, really no need to. And I have never noticed any difference in sharpness on or off.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:48 AM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

I turn it off when on a tripod but otherwise it's on.....

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:48 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

Once the IS has stabilized/settled (it takes a second or so, depending on which generation it is), AFAIK there is no drawback in IQ from using it.
The IS is in fact a glass element and it is always there, regardless of the fact that the stabilization is on or off.
What might happen is that if you take the shot before the image is fully stabilized, the motion from it (the IS is a floating glass element that moves) might actually be even greater than the motion induced from hand holding the camera.

Also, if shooting a moving object with 4 axis IS engaged, when you try to follow the subject the IS will try to counteract the movement (remember, the IS job is to keep the image steady...). In that case, it might be counterproductive to have 4 axis IS on, since it will also make tracking the subject (keeping the AF point steady in the subject) much harder. That is why most IS systems have two modes, where in one the horizontal axis stabilization is disconnected.

Hope this helps.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:54 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

I regularly use IS on lenses from the 16-35/4L IS to 500/4L IS. When I get an image that's not sharp, it's not because I used IS, unless it was an inappropriate time, like using IS on the 24-105L IS for a subject quickly passing in front of you, or using an old IS version on a tripod (new versions sense the lack of motion and disable IS).

For handheld shooting with low shutter speeds, using IS produces sharper images than not using IS. Comparing handheld shots with IS to tripod mounted shots without IS shows the benefit of using a tripod, not the pitfalls of using IS.

I generally turn IS off when tracking fast and erratic subjects, although I haven't yet learned about the Mode 3 IS on my new 100-400L IS II, which is supposed to be OK for this.

Here's a recent thread where I explained what I think about IS modes for long lenses,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1314389/1#12541850

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:55 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

"People say.."? What people?

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:58 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

Also, remember that, when talking about video cameras, there are two types of IS: optical (a physical system, like the one canon uses on their lenses) and digital.
In digital IS, they use software to try to eliminate the effects of motion from the image. So it does in fact temper with the actual image, therefore yes, there is some IQ degradation.
Some P&S cameras and cell phones use this as well.

There is also sensor-based IS in cameras, where the sensor actually moves around.
The principle is the same as the glass element in lenses, though the former does have the benefit of affecting all lenses.
But canon does not use this system.

BTW, agree with all that Jim said.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:01 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

galenapass wrote:
"People say.."? What people?

That would be the same people that Davis plans to use his Taser on; bad people.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:08 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

It is rare, but I do occasionally have a blurred image, usually as part of a hand held sequence on wide to mild tele lenses (sometimes at higher shutter speeds, 1/500+), that can only be explained by IS counter-motion (becoming activated as the shutter is opening).

Other measures: I always turn off IS when tripod mounted, if for no other reason than it decreases battery drain.

Hand held, I almost always have IS engaged, even shooting higher shutter speeds. I just leave it on, except on tripod.

I'm a big fan of IS.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:13 AM
jcunwired
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

I recently posted on how noisy the 70-200mm F/4 IS is, and that it doesn't stop until shutter button is fully depressed (or released). How long should the delay be between engaging IS and taking a photograph with this previous generation IS?

Thanks.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:40 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

I shoot professionally and leave the IS on unless the camera is on a tripod or doing a sports assignment. Results look great whether it is a daylight scene or a horrible low light assignment where I'm hand holding at 1/8th sec. Modern IS lenses are terrific.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:40 AM

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

I used to tape the IS switch in the ON position. 'Nuff said. If I get a bad photo, it's because I'm doing something wrong.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:48 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

I love IS when shooting low shutter speeds on a tripod with long focal lengths. I also use a cable release to minimize the shake/vibrations.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:50 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

Yes. My keeper rate went up dramatically when I moved to an IS lens. With the resolution of current digital cameras even wide angle benefits from IS. I'll be purchasing the 16-35 f4 soon and the IS will make it much more useable than my current 17-40. Then all my zooms and several primes will be IS. And thats

Edited on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:27 PM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:03 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

I have the 70-200 IS II and I leave it on all the time. I do not see any start up lag with it but I'm usually shooting 2-4 frames every 10-15 seconds so it may never have a chance to shutdown. I like that it stabilizes the viewfinder and helps in keeping the AF point on target. Lastly, I've not seen any higher battery consumption using it on day long events. I've shot upwards of 9000 shots with it in a span of 7 hours. I don't see any downside to using it, at least with the 70-200 IS II.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

Part of the OP's question was whether IS can add motion blur. My 100-400 has the oldest IS design of my lenses and I've seen its IS wander when the lens was on a tripod. Its instructions say to turn IS off on a tripod. I've never seen this hand held or on a monopod, and I've not seen it on any of my newer IS lenses, even my 8 year old 24-105. My 100L macro is rock steady on a tripod.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:41 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

IS helps to eliminate motion blur caused by you. It cannot eliminate motion blur caused by your subject - especially if you are using a slow shutter speed.

Jan 20, 2015 at 02:07 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

Unless battery life is an issue or I am shooting video with important audio, I leave IS on all the time.

Jan 20, 2015 at 02:12 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

NatureLover wrote:
Are there any drawbacks to using IS (other than higher battery usage)?

I don't think there are significant drawbacks other than the psychological. For instance, don't use IS as a crutch, less you become dependent on it. You should always keep good form and technique in mind. If you become careless or sloppy in your technique (and get the shots anyways thanks to IS), then you reach the point where you are dependent on IS to get any results. And you will have to re-learn the good technique that you once knew when you get into a situation where you can't rely on IS or wish to use a lens that does not have the option for IS.

IS lenses do tend to be more expensive and marginally heavier, sometimes they lack the wide aperture that non-IS lenses have (ie. canon's 24-70mm zoom).

Jan 20, 2015 at 02:14 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Image Stabilization – Yes or No?

NatureLover wrote:
I have heard conflicting reports about shooting with IS on or off. Some people say that when you use IS, it helps to allow you to use slower shutter speeds or shoot in lower light, but the images are never as sharp as when you do not use IS. I remember years ago when the first video camcorders came out with this technology, that was the rule. Use it when you must, but expect the results to be less sharp. But, some people say that they always keep the IS on, and it doesn’t affect the image in a negative
...Show more

With more recent lenses I generally turn it off when I'm doing slower, more methodical work from the tripod but leave it on when I'm handholding the camera, even with moving subjects such as birds in flight.

Dan

Jan 20, 2015 at 02:56 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.