Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

musingclouds
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

Not sure where to put this. Mods please lock if you feel this is inappropriate.

This is a pretty personal thread and one that I wasn't sure that I would be able to post.

As most of you guys know, I post most of my work for critique and feedback and general enjoyment within the Fuji X-Mount and until recently the RX1-R forum thread.

At the urging of some of the photographers in the Bay and general family and friends I've decided to make a photobook! Not a lot of you guys may know this about me, but I suffer from a condition known as cerebral palsy. It's essentially a kind of brain damage that impairs my motor functions and has my brain tell my muscles to constantly contract. As such, I'm not able to walk normally like most people and there's some social stigma with the illness, as most people have severe spasms and are mentally retarded.

I'm somewhat fortunate that my condition is a little better (I do some walking in the Kickstarter video so you can see), but when I was born it didn't look that clear (1.5 lbs, 3 months early, and spent 53 days in the Intensive Care Unit and was told by doctors I'd be wheelchair bound). I was able to finally walk when I was about six, and it has been a crazy rollercoaster ride. I was a pretty shy and withdrawn kid cause of it, and its only when I discovered photography that I began to come out of my shell. I'm 24 now, and I have to credit cameras and tolerant people for allowing me to continue expressing myself, even when my images frankly...suck. D:

I've just launched the photobook project on Kickstarter and I would be so grateful if you could simply share it with your friends and family. I won't ask you for money, because I hate fundraising. I just want to be able to finally say that I've made something memorable. If you feel so inclined, leave me a kind note or a word of encouragement in the comments section. Since its an all or nothing project, your support is what keeps me going. The FM community has been a great place for me to share my photos with likeminded people, and I'm just so appreciative of this 'safe space.'

Kickstarter link

The majority of the book will be shot featuring Alt cameras (Fuji XT-1, Fuji XE-2, and the Sony RX-1R.), so this forum seemed most appropriate and where I spend the most of my time anyways!

Thanks for looking,

-Jason

Jan 19, 2015 at 07:16 PM
jfreak
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

Jason, I just saw the video. Man, this is beautiful work. I can only imagine the effort you have put in it. I don't have words to express how good it is. Congratulations and keep going.... Vik

Jan 19, 2015 at 08:02 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

Just wow some really beautiful work there Jason, thank you for sharing!

Inspiring..

Jan 19, 2015 at 08:11 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

good stuff.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:01 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

musingclouds wrote:
my images frankly...suck. D:

*COUGH*

Dude... your images are great, and I would have said exactly the same if I hadn't known that you have CP. I'm glad you're able to practice photography so well (no upper body spasms).

Also, please don't be too hard on yourself -- I have that tendency myself and it's really not helpful. I know it can be more difficult to not to judge yourself too much than to be non-judgmental about others. Share your photography and whatever gives you joy as much as possible and give others the chance to appreciate you and your work.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:27 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

The project looks awesome, and your work is fantastic. I'll be backing your project...just need to see what level I can swing for at the moment.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:41 PM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

You've got some beautiful work and you've got a backer

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:18 PM
musingclouds
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

OMG, thank you guys so much!!! I'm super excited to get this project off the ground.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:46 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

I pledged a few bucks too, Jason. I think you might consider offering to print a chosen image from the book once it's published, at a price, of course, to pledgers. I expect there will be quite a few print-worthy images there. Best, KL

Edited on Jan 20, 2015 at 04:28 AM · View previous versions

Jan 20, 2015 at 01:36 AM
musingclouds
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

@jfreak, @dasrocket, @gpop: Thanks so much; it has been in the works for up to a year. I kept delaying and delaying the launch cause I had serious reservations about whether I'd have enough interest in what is essentially a glorified vanity project (haha). I finally went with it cause with time running out, I had nothing to lose.

@AhamB: Thanks so much, it definitely is a struggle not being hard on yourself especially here when you have photographers putting out awesome work on a daily basis. But I remind myself that the me of today is much more artistically inclined than the me of four years ago, so I'm looking forward to see how my style changes as I keep taking photos.

No upperbody spasms (for now) thankfully. One thing I have to keep an eye on is developing early adult arthritis though I should probably take up yoga haha.

Thank you @Jman13, @thedigitalbean, @Kit Laughlin. It's much appreciated; it's one of those all or nothing things, so I'm grateful for even a nice comment or a dollar. There's not a day I don't thank my lucky stars for a camera, cause its basically what saved me from becoming a suicidal emo kid when I was younger.

@Kit, there should be a pledge amount for one print. I'm not sure if I explicitly stated it, but that pledge amount entitles you to pick a custom print of your choice from all the images.

The next thing I need to do is start reading up on how to best prepare digital files for printing, as I've never done it before. I shoot RAW for everything so that's a start.

Thank you all for your kind comments and I'm once again humbled/reminded at what an awesome place FM is.

Cheers,

Jason

Jan 20, 2015 at 03:06 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

musingclouds, check out my YouTube channel, and my Vimeo on Demand channel (just search on my name); YT will give you the most useful exercises, and free, too. I can make some suggestions via email. The pledge amounts for a print were all gone, so I chose the one I did. Good luck to you.

Life is awesome, brother!

Jan 20, 2015 at 04:26 AM
DIS Ottawa
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

I think your work is great and have just made a pledge. Keep up the good work!

Jan 20, 2015 at 07:43 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

Pledge made for the book itself. Look forward to it!

Jan 20, 2015 at 09:04 AM
musingclouds
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

Thank you all!!!! I'm almost at my goal! I will be posting some recent stuff I've been taking in the next few days; hoping to give FMers a first look.

Thank you all for being a blessing.

-Jason

Jan 20, 2015 at 09:41 PM
kwoodard
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

I have been a fan of your work for quite a long time. I plan to pledge too, just need to check the budget.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:21 PM
jbush
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

Jason,

Count me as another fan (your work is beautiful) and backer. Good luck getting to your goal!

All the best,
Jon

Jan 21, 2015 at 09:58 AM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

Signed up for the book, looking forward to seeing this project and all your future creative endeavors!

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:13 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

Good luck!

Jan 21, 2015 at 01:43 PM
ultrapix
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

Good luck Jason!

Jan 21, 2015 at 06:03 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Since I spend most of my time in the Alt forum...

Some very nice photos in there!

Jan 21, 2015 at 06:38 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.