New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Border Collie fall pictures

Maritan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Border Collie fall pictures

I usually prefer action shots of dogs (in general) and of course my dogs in particular, but as I was still learning to use this lens, I got them in a down stay to make my life much, much easier.

Enjoy! C&C welcome as always.

Chloe:

Griffin:

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:37 AM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Border Collie fall pictures

Nice looking pair ! First image is cropped a little too tight.

Now go take some action shots and post those too.

TFS!

Edited on Jan 19, 2015 at 06:27 PM · View previous versions

Jan 19, 2015 at 02:38 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Border Collie fall pictures

Nice work. The first shot has that shadow, but you've handled it well. It's not an issue now.

As a nit, I'll somewhat agree with film_4ever, but I think the whole composition should be moved over to the right. You have space on the left side that could be used on the right. Again - small nit - you obviously know what you are doing.

Jan 19, 2015 at 02:50 PM
Maritan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Border Collie fall pictures

Thanks for the feedback film_4ever and Jim. Now that you've both pointed out that Chloe's shot is cropped a little tight, I see it. Interestingly, I (obviously) didn't think of it before.

Action shots (while herding and doing agility) to come as my technique gets better.

Jan 19, 2015 at 03:42 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Border Collie fall pictures

nice looking border collie

Jan 19, 2015 at 05:55 PM
Frock
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Border Collie fall pictures

Pretty pups.

Jan 19, 2015 at 07:20 PM
Maritan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Border Collie fall pictures

Thanks CW100 and Frock!

Jan 20, 2015 at 07:51 AM
Misty Mountain

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Border Collie fall pictures

I shoot dog photography for a living. Mostly show dogs but a lot of agility and hunting action as well. If there is one thing that is key, it is the eyes have to be tack sharp. I can almost care less about the rest of the photo if the eyes are in focus I have something that can be considered as a keeper (that may be overly simplistic but you can hopefully get my meaning).

Sometimes if the eyes are a little soft I can use the sharpen tool in photoshop to sharpen the eyes up a bit. In both of your photos I would recommend hitting their eyes with a bit of sharpen tool.

As for Agility, fast expensive gear will get you the most keepers as a lot of agility is indoors in bad light. I use a Nikon D3s and a Nikon 300mm f2.8 most of the time. I get low (I mean like my tripod is flat on the ground) and have the rig on a tripod and pre-focus. I usually only get the dog, but I get a nice tight shot of that dog that has every detail available. It is just like shooting people sports. Tight is good! All of this is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth!

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:10 PM
Maritan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Border Collie fall pictures

Misty Mountain - thank you very much for the tips. I agree with you regarding the eyes. If they aren't sharp, I usually toss the pictures out. If it's my own dogs, I might still keep them if they're in a unique pose or doing something that evokes emotions in me. Such is probably the case here. I thought the dog's eyes were sharp, but my eyesight isn't what it used to be. I'll go back and take a second look at these pictures in Lightroom and see if I can sharpen them up a little.

Where I live (AZ), we are lucky to have quite a few outdoor trials especially in the winter months. Bad lighting is not usually a huge issue. That said, I'm invested in the Olympus m4/3 format because I take this camera with me on backpacking trips too. I wanted something slightly smaller and lighter without sacrificing too much IQ. I have the Oly 75mm f1.8 lens (used in the pictures above) when I can get a little closer and now the 40-150 f2.8 lens also. Thanks for the tip regarding getting low. I will try this out at the next agility show I go to. I don't do this for a living, but really enjoy the challenge of shooting agility dogs especially the fast ones. Very, very good tips regarding the tripod, focusing, tight shots etc. Lots to try out next time I'm out.

Would you be so kind as to share your website? I would love to take a look at what you do.

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:07 PM
Misty Mountain

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Border Collie fall pictures

My site is http://sirius6photo.com. It is in a bit of a bad state right now, but you will get the idea of what I mean by getting low if you check out the agility/hunt photos. A lot of my stuff is not up there right now because we are rebuilding the site. Also, unfortunately Zenfolio seems to soften photos so my tack sharp photos always look a little soft on the site. Ugh!

Watch the opening slideshow (there are a couple of agility photos in there) and go to the 2013 LRC National. I was the official photographer for their event.

Here is another agility event I shot: http://sirius6photo.com/f570891252

Cheers,

Toni

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:55 AM
Maritan
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Border Collie fall pictures

Thanks Toni! Great pictures and I like how you get low for the pictures. A lot of really wonderful pictures on your site. Thanks for sharing.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:08 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.