New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 7D focus issues

rkooz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D focus issues

I believe I'm having focus issues with my 7D. I've changed lenses on it so I do not think it's the lens(es). It just doesn't seem to be doing the job I thought it once did. How would I confirm this? Send it to Canon? Thanks.

Jan 18, 2015 at 09:23 PM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D focus issues

Post some pictures and explain yourself better. Yes, focus issues are common, but if you want help, provide us with more detail

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:05 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D focus issues

The info here might help in isolating your problem.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=857871

Basically you need to test your AF system for accuracy starting with shooting a stationary object along with another a little closer & another a little farther back than the target. Use one shot & center AF point & a tripod; aim right on the middle target point & check results. Next move the closer & further ones closer & further from the camera & do it again. Which target is sharpest? center, rearward or in front of the primary target? That's what Canon wants to know.

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:18 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D focus issues

Mount your camera on a tripod with the sensor parallel to a wall. Lean a yardstick onto that wall at a 45 degree angle with the 18 inch mark at the same height of the center of your lens and the 36 inch mark closest to the wall. AutoFocus on the 18 inch mark with the lens wide open. Take a shot and see where the focus is most accurate. MA to move the accurate focus point. If 0-18 range is in focus more, it is front focusing and vice versa. You will see a range of numbers that gradually go out of focus, so pick the center of that range. If this is a zoom, you will need to do it a both ends of it's range so you know what you have. Some cameras have the ability to do MA at W and T ends. The same thing can be done with batteries standing up on a shelf lined up diagonally to the sensor. Hope this long winded suggestion helps. Hmmm, what do you call a yard stick marked in millimeters?

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:38 AM
gqllc007
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D focus issues

A Meter stick... anyways make sure you do the test with your aperture wide open

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:36 AM
rkooz

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D focus issues

Thanks for this. I will try to get to this this weekend and post.

I forgot to mention, I used to have the red dots in the eye view turn red when the focus would capture and it would beep. Doesn't do that much any more.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:04 AM
dacop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D focus issues

Focus issues will drive you nuts. You will start to take more and more duplicate images just to make sure you have a good copy. Which in turn will eat up your shutter count. If you can afford it, I suggest sending it in to Canon telling them about the focus issues. They can and will make the proper adjustments for you.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:53 AM
rkooz

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D focus issues

Do you have the address for Canon? From what I remember, they had one for each coast. I'm on the east.

Also, speaking of Canon, Does anyone know the Canon loyalty number?

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:59 AM
Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D focus issues

rkooz wrote:
Thanks for this. I will try to get to this this weekend and post.

I forgot to mention, I used to have the red dots in the eye view turn red when the focus would capture and it would beep. Doesn't do that much any more.

If you are in Ai servo, it won't beep.

Oh, and send the camera to Canon NJ. If you have AF issues, just send it in and let Canon figure it out. Don't waste your time. You will drive yourself nuts.

Jan 20, 2015 at 01:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.