New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Digital Early Days

Chaz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Digital Early Days

I've been a Nikon shooter since 1968, beginning with the "F" and progressing through the decades to the current D810.

Flashback: As the digital age dawned I received this HP 1.0 MP digital camera in 1999 with the purchase of a new desktop computer. Came upon it when cleaning out old boxes yesterday.

What fun to take snaps and see them moments later on the computer - a "Polaroid" experience without expending Polaroid film!

Thought the young'uns might like to see what things were like in the horse-and-buggy days of digital.

Digital: The Early Years

Jan 18, 2015 at 04:53 PM
LeifG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Digital Early Days

I used film for years to photograph fungi. Most of the pictures are dreadful due to colour casts, lack of dynamic range, and reciprocity failure. Digital makes life so easy. Isn't it odd to have grown up with film cameras, vinyl records, cassette based Walkmans and other obsolete technology?

Jan 18, 2015 at 05:13 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Digital Early Days

Cool. Bought my first F in 1970.

Jan 18, 2015 at 05:45 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Digital Early Days

LeifG wrote:
I used film for years to photograph fungi. Most of the pictures are dreadful due to colour casts, lack of dynamic range, and reciprocity failure. Digital makes life so easy. Isn't it odd to have grown up with film cameras, vinyl records, cassette based Walkmans and other obsolete technology?

Don't forget the 8 tracks and reel to reels!

Jan 18, 2015 at 09:10 PM
coreybell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Digital Early Days

Sony Mavica 1998[…] the original model took about 8 seconds to save a photo to a disk, this version averaged a more tolerable 4 seconds. In addition, Sony has added some nifty new features. These include the ability to make copies of floppies using just the camera–very handy if you want to hand out extra disks on the spot. A new quarter-resolution (320 by 240) option also makes it faster to e-mail photographs. (The camera’s full resolution is 640 by 480.) A built-in menu on the MVC-FD71’s LCD screen permits you to easily take advantage of useful new options such as these.

Jan 18, 2015 at 09:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Digital Early Days

I waited until the FF (FX) 11 MP 1Ds before going digital in early 2003.
Digital before then made no sense for me due to the limited IQ.
I shot film for so many years before that, mostly 135, starting with the Nikkormat EL and using 6x7 and 6x9 for landscapes.

EBH

Jan 19, 2015 at 01:01 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Digital Early Days

My first digital was the Sony Mavica FD-91. This thing was badass.. you can put 30 pictures in 1 floppy disk and it was very convenient to just insert the floppy and send the pics via 50 hrs free AOL or Compuserve! It's also the most usable digital at the time, because the other cheapo ones I tried were simply unusable. Funny, Sony came up with the tilt LCD back then, and it took Nikon almost 20 years to realize how useful it is so they put it on the D750

Jan 19, 2015 at 01:44 AM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Digital Early Days

EB-1 wrote: I waited until the FF (FX) 11 MP 1Ds before going digital in early 2003.

I was looking at the Kodak SL/N or the SL/C at the time also but couldn't justify the $5000 cost. So, I started my digital arsenal with the 6.1 MP Nikon D100.

The HP model I posted above was not something I purchased by choice - it came "free" with the computer, kind of like the way banks would give you a toaster for opening an account back in the 50s and 60s.

Jan 19, 2015 at 01:51 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Digital Early Days

I started in the mid 90's with a (HOT NEON pink) disposable 35mm film point and shoot that my mother bought for me from a convenient store... By this point, I had always admired my grandfather's Nikkormat SLR, his fully manual lenses, and had set a goal that one day, I'd graduate to a real camera! As I taught myself through trial and error, and lots of experimenting and pocket money spent on film and processing (by working in the school kitchen), I slowly graduated to an F90X, and soon F100 in '99.

Went digital with an Olympus super-zoom enthusiasts' camera in high school, then eventually got a D200 in college. Still loved working in the darkroom, developing and printing everything I shot (B&W only)... but loved digital for all the timely projects (I shot for the university paper as well). Towards the end of my college days, got a D2H and was over the moon about it's "low light" capabilities, and how it allowed me to shoot more sports and PJ work more easily, with just "some" sacrifice in color and noise! All the while, still hanging on to my F100, Seagull TLRs, and even acquired some Hasselblad gear (with my hard earned money as a college kid) from some fellow forum members when they were converting their studios to digital!

The D2H eventually gave way to the D3 after a long struggle of justifying my spendings, just before the announcement of the D3s/D3x (ouch). A couple of years later, got a D90 as a second body as well as a "lossless 1.5x teleconverter" and now have a D800E & D7100, which I love!

It's wonderful to see how technology has progressed and how it has changed the way people teach and learn photography as well!

It's even crazier that we use our smartphones so much as compact cameras to supplement (or to some people, as their main) our bigger cameras, and how competent they have become. I just upgraded to an iPhone 6+ and wow.... having that type of IQ in a phone-camera that (arguably) fits inside your pant pocket is just amazing - and to think its IQ is blowing all those "early-digital" BIG cameras, form just a few years ago, out of the water. (of course, no substitute for a real DSLR tho.)

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:52 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Digital Early Days

My first dSLR was a D50 during my senior year in HS I guess I'm not that old. Oh the great memories ....

Jan 19, 2015 at 01:32 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Digital Early Days

Elijah wrote:
My first dSLR was a D50 during my senior year in HS I guess I'm not that old. Oh the great memories ....

Sounds like we're the same age, I'm 27.

My only experience with "early" digital was finding out the Samsung P&S I borrowed had an internal memory as well as the SD card. I had no idea....until my dad said something along the lines of "they're only 18 once" with a massive grin on his face No wonder dad smiled everytime he was around that girlfriend...

Jan 19, 2015 at 01:38 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Digital Early Days

i remember dropping some dough for a coolpix 900! man i was so cool with that. d90 was my first dslr though.

Jan 19, 2015 at 01:40 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Digital Early Days

DontShoot wrote:
Funny, Sony came up with the tilt LCD back then, and it took Nikon almost 20 years to realize how useful it is so they put it on the D750

One of my ancient Nikon Coolpix cameras has an articulated rear LCD - the Sony A99 is still the only full-frame camera that has this feature.

Jan 19, 2015 at 02:26 PM
brianric
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Digital Early Days

Chaz wrote:
I've been a Nikon shooter since 1968, beginning with the "F" and progressing through the decades to the current D810.

Flashback: As the digital age dawned I received this HP 1.0 MP digital camera in 1999 with the purchase of a new desktop computer. Came upon it when cleaning out old boxes yesterday.

What fun to take snaps and see them moments later on the computer - a "Polaroid" experience without expending Polaroid film!

Thought the young'uns might like to see what things were like in the horse-and-buggy days of digital.

That's the HP C20. That was my first digital camera. I got mine free by being a Delta tester for HP. I was given weekly assignments and had to submit a report. HP gave me the camera after a couple months of reports. My first DSLR was the Canon Digital Rebel, as it was the first DSLR for under a grand with a kit lens.

Jan 19, 2015 at 04:40 PM

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Digital Early Days

1st digital camera used... Sony DSC-F55 (3Mp, rotating lens module) in 2001 (it was owned by my mother).
1st own digital camera... Panasonic DMC-FZ1 (2 MP, 12x zoom) in 2003.
1st DSLR used... Nikon D70 in 2005 (owned by the newspaper I work for).
1st own DSLR... KONICA/MINOLTA 7D in 2006.
1st own DSLR in currently used mount... Canon 30D in 2007.
1st own "pro" DSLR... Canon 1D Mark II N in 2009.
1st "modern" DSLR owned... Canon 1D Mark IV in 2014. And that's where I stand (with 5 lenses, but that's another story).

Jan 19, 2015 at 05:01 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Digital Early Days

low325 wrote:
i remember dropping some dough for a coolpix 900! man i was so cool with that.

CP900 was the dog's bollocks in its time: I willingly paid $800 plus another $200 for a 48MB CF card. On reflection, it had a ton of shortcomings: unusable battery life with AA alkalines, slooow AF, awful color rendition, 3 bits of dynamic range. I still have mine. Took it all over Japan in 2001:

Not getting much respect these days.

Jan 19, 2015 at 07:54 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Digital Early Days

My first experience with digital was the Sony Mavica. You pressed the shutter and 2 seconds later it would take the picture. It so soured me on digital that the D70 was out for a LONG while before I bought.

Jan 20, 2015 at 05:10 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Digital Early Days

Mine was the Coolpix 990 which I just recently got rid of

Jan 20, 2015 at 08:26 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.