FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Clouded Yellow Colias croceus in Corsica

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Clouded Yellow Colias croceus in Corsica

This interaction was captured in a Lilac tree, in a garden further down the pass form where I found the butteflies visiting thistle flowers. I could view the tree only from outside the garden but I had access to two sides. However, most butterflies were above me. This is one of the few exceptions.

No species in the genus Colias open their wings when at rest. This is good news if you want underside shots but bad news if you want to show the upper side. Of course, they have to open them to fly, so you might catch the moment, otherwise it is the landing where you must get the timing right. When I took the picture I didn't know that I could get only an underside when the butterfly is at rest, although I had often experienced the problem.

I don't know the sequence of events here. There is clearly some claim both by the bee (honeybee?) and by the butterfly to feed on this flower. That the tongue (proboscis) of the butterfly is extended suggests that it was feeding when disturbed by the arrival of the bee.

EM-1, Olympus ED Digital 70-300mm at 226mm, 1/1600 f10, ISO 400, hand-held.

Image cropped by ca 50%.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

Jan 18, 2015 at 01:07 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Clouded Yellow Colias croceus in Corsica

A neat shot Harold ~ Ron

Jan 18, 2015 at 09:54 AM
rocco61
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Clouded Yellow Colias croceus in Corsica

Nice catch ..... in flight

Jan 19, 2015 at 06:50 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Clouded Yellow Colias croceus in Corsica

surfnron wrote:
A neat shot Harold ~ Ron

Thanks.

rocco61 wrote:
Nice catch ..... in flight

Thanks.

At first I was annoyed at the presence of the bee, until I assessed the scenario.

A branchless hollow in the tree foliage acted like a miniature clearing in a forest, giving a kind of natural framing. This is one feature I deliberately used.

Harold

Jan 19, 2015 at 07:04 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.