New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Never buy Pocket Wizard Flex & Mini

Entity
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Never buy Pocket Wizard Flex & Mini

Need to vent..

I can't stress enough how disappointed I am with Pocket Wizard on this set design!!

First of all the Flex unit: it's huge, it's heavy, it's ugly, antenna can be easily broken off, has plastic shue mount, etc,..
Mini: it's small which is ok, has shameful battery life on Nikon system (need to replace / charge it after every shoot; and it uses the "impossible-to-find-in-a-hurry" cell battery), tiny manual switches, etc..
AC3 (and all of the above actually): the most useless thing ever made!! Tiny analog dials, like it was made in the 90' and digital/lcd isn't invented yet..forget about using it in the dark, you can't see anything what you have set.. Since there are no "locks" on the AC3 dials and the movement of them is really soft, be ready to accidently change settings/light ratio every time you swipe your cam against a piece of clothing or something.. I can't tell you how many times this thing has screwed me over. You finally set the ratio correctly, then brush your cam again something, continue shooting, then discover all ratios are messed up!

Look at the Chinese models pocket wizard, learn from them! Look at odin and others.. all small, fully digital, illuminated lcd, odin II with 5 groups!! And at 1/3 price!!
My most expensive and useless piece of gear I ever bought!!! I was saving for a long time to get the mini, ac3 and 3 flex unit, cost me over 1000eur (!!!), now I'm frustrated almost every time I use them.

DON'T buy them!! If you need remote control or ttl for your flashes, look at the chinese models, far better then this! Sad to say, PW no longer the "industry standard" for me.. Yeah, if you have money to throw away and need a "brand" to show off to your clients who might have heard the word "pocket wizard" before, then sure, but for functionality, design, user-friendliness use something else!!

Jan 17, 2015 at 03:47 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.