Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

JohnPinette

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

Hey Russ, always a treat to see your photos of Georgia in action. She had the meet of her life! #1 All Around score in the country! I was at Georgia's home gym yesterday (my daughter grew up with Georgia and now coaches there) talking to Georgia's mom. She couldn't be more proud! Hope she can keep nailing that beam routine.

Great looking and keep up the good work.

John

Jan 20, 2015 at 05:40 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

Hey John, it's no coincidence that photos of Georgia dominated my post. She's always been a top-tier gymnast for Utah, but there's something decidedly different about her this year. She looks to be in amazing condition, and she's absolutely locked in, just a perfect study of focus and determination. I think we're all expecting great things from her, and I suspect she's expecting great things from herself as well. Thanks for your feedback!

http://www.russisabellaphotography.com/Gymnastics2015/Quad15.JPG

http://www.russisabellaphotography.com/Gymnastics2015/Quad18.JPG

Jan 20, 2015 at 05:59 PM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

Russ Isabella wrote:
Focus: No doubt the new lights make a difference. They pose a few new challenges, but they ore evenly light the arena and that surely helps. Also, the mat for floor exercise, while still a dark blue color, is make from some kind of reflective material, which definitely helps to eliminate shadows. Thanks for your comments.

Thank you for your candor in explaining what was going on, because I could see an amazing difference between these images and the images you shot in the same venue with the same gear just last year, and I was seriously about to PM you to ask you for a can of the spinach you are eating this year, because these new shots definitely pop eyes!

Jan 21, 2015 at 01:21 PM
levans123

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

Beautiful photos, Russ! really amazing! One quick question: since you were using the prime lens, did it mean you were free to move around during the competition or you just cropped the photos afterwards?

Jan 28, 2015 at 05:13 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

levans123: Yes, I have some flexibility with my choice of spots to shoot from.

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:09 PM
levans123

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

Thanks, Russ! I am going to shoot a local college (Div III) gymnastics meet next week. It's always good to to get some ideas from your fantastic photos. I will use 70-200 F2.8 for floor, beam, and bars and 85 1.8 for vault. Another question, in your experience, is 1/2500 good enough for vault?

Jan 29, 2015 at 04:42 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

More than good enough. Not sure I've ever shot vault higher than 1/1250.

Jan 29, 2015 at 05:30 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

Russ,
Thanks for the evening entertainment. While I like a lot 12, I am almost more impressed by the split second timing of the peak formation of the legs/feet in 11.

Guy

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:18 PM
Zaboo
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

Hi Russ,

Fantastic set overall. I find that once you've achieved certain levels, it gets hard to impress yourself. However, your images still continue impress everyone else. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work.

Michael

Feb 01, 2015 at 09:13 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

Thanks, Guy.

Feb 01, 2015 at 01:25 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

Zaboo wrote:
Hi Russ,

Fantastic set overall. I find that once you've achieved certain levels, it gets hard to impress yourself. However, your images still continue impress everyone else. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work.

Michael

Thank you, Michael. Yeah, I suppose I'm my own worst critic. But I've gained some inspiration. Last night Utah competed at Arizona and I watched a live feed of the meet. I almost never get to see the routines from the 'spectator' perspective and I really was wowed by how much more to them there was than what I see (and capture) through my lens. I'll be shooting a meet on Friday and looking for ways to capture a bit more of that 'wow' factor, though I'll admit that at the moment, I haven't a clue about how to manage it.

And speaking of last night, Georgia Dabritz was on fire. I believe she currently leads the country in average all-around score, and last night she earned a 10 on bars and 9.975 on vault and floor. She had a balance check on beam so 'only' scored a 9.75 on that event, but still ended with her career high all-around score and was the top competitor. Hats off to an athlete that's got it going on!

Georgia Dabritz
http://www.russisabellaphotography.com/Gymnastics2015/_AI_8383.JPG

Feb 01, 2015 at 01:32 PM
Ccugolf
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Utah Gymnastics: First Home Meet

3 and 12 are my favorite.
I like 10 but the ceiling is too distracting to me

Feb 03, 2015 at 06:44 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.