New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Vests with shoulder pads

Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vests with shoulder pads

I did a search but coming up empty handed.

Does anyone know of a vest that has shoulder pads that helps cushion the impact of the long lens and tripod on the shoulders?

I'm thinking of sawing some shoulder pads on my current vest, but would like to see if there are any on the market.

I found one by Vested Interest. Does anyone have any history with this vest? Looking for something similar, but less costly.

Thanks...Al

Jan 16, 2015 at 02:43 PM
pompeio
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vests with shoulder pads

I have two Vested Interest vests. One is the Still (which has unpadded shoulders) and the other is the Khumbu which has integrated shoulder pads. I purchased both from fellow FM'ers and both were brand new (one still had the tag on it).
The Still model is the lighter of the two and holds a fair amount of gear. I can use the rear straps to hold my tripod.
The Khumbu is heavier and holds even more gear. I can put either my 500 f/4 or the tripod in the rear pocket.
The Khumbu's padded straps are comfortable but I find myself using the Still more often as it weighs less and I find I do not often need to carry the 500 and tripod long distances.
The vests gives me better distribution of weight. I have a Think Tank belt and various pouches but dislike removing them when getting back into the vehicle. The vest allows me to just hop in (unless lens or tripod is in rear pocket/straps).
They are great products and I highly recommend them. Hope this helps.

Jan 16, 2015 at 04:00 PM
Taoguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vests with shoulder pads

+1 on the Vested Interest vest. I used the Khumbu for several years, works as advertised and very well made.

Gerard

Jan 16, 2015 at 04:07 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vests with shoulder pads

I made my own. Very simple, just some suitable foam rubber (cut the inserts to size) and a hard wearing but comfortable cloth to cover the foam. You can then just slip them inside anything you are wearing,they do make me sweat a little on the shoulder but no more shoulder pain. Cost : about $5 for 2

Jan 17, 2015 at 09:19 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vests with shoulder pads

Thanks for the info on the vested interest vest.

Frogfish, I had looked at the pod pad, but it won't work because the the base of the gimbal is what rests on my shoulders, so I had decided that my best bet is to make some shoulder pads that way no matter how I carry the rig or what I wear, it will be padded.

Thanks again everyone.

Jan 19, 2015 at 08:55 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vests with shoulder pads

Would the Domke FA-031 U.S. Post Office Shoulder Pad help?

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM
xnavyguy

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vests with shoulder pads

I bought a small memory foam pillow from Walmart, cut it down to size and made 2 shoulder pillows. I sewed 1 wide velcro strip onto the outside top of each shoulder area on my vest and a strip on each pillow. This way, no matter what shoulder I carry my lens/tripod, it's padded. On the days I'm not carrying the long lens, I can just pull the pads off the vest thanks to the velcro, works very well.

Jan 21, 2015 at 07:08 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.