New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D750 Green Dot precision

ilnonno
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D750 Green Dot precision

Dear all,

I have had an excellent surprise with the D810: the autofocus is more precise than with the D4 and D3s, and the green dot is finally helpful in focusing manual lenses (it is much more precise in this respect, allowing me to use even the 135/2 with confidence).

Is the D750 comparable in this respect? (the net seems very excited about its excellent and precise autofocus).

I am seriously thinking of ditching the pro bodies (due to changes in shooting, and falling in love with the IQ of the D810...), and would like to buy a D750 as a second body (had a D610 and loved IQ already; this one is touted to have even better IQ).

Can't first hand try one, so any comment would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lory

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:08 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D750 Green Dot precision

Not absolutely sure, though my green dot seems pretty accurate overall...not 100% I wouldn't say, but then that could be part user error since I have an extremely hard time identifying what's in focus by looking through the viewfinder.

The AF on the D750 is great IMO. Quite accurate.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:25 PM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D750 Green Dot precision

The AF on the D750 is the best I have ever had (many Canon and Nikon bodies over the years.) Lenses can be used wide open with extreme AF accuracy - and this is without the need for AF fine-tune on my lenses.
I do not manually focus often, so not sure about the green dot...

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:30 PM
ilnonno
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D750 Green Dot precision

Thanks form and ronno.

I was *very* sceptical that AF might have been improved in newer bodies: after the D700 and D3s, my experience with the D4 was unimpressive, and the D800 even proved to be a step back.
But the D810 changed my opinion radically: it is much more precise, even more so considering that the high resolutions highlights mistakes.

If the D750 is similar (I even read "better" online), then I'll buy one as soon as I get rid of the two "big beasts".

Lory

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:55 PM
ilnonno
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D750 Green Dot precision

Thanks form and ronno.

I was *very* sceptical that AF might have been improved in newer bodies: after the D700 and D3s, my experience with the D4 was unimpressive, and the D800 even proved to be a step back.
But the D810 changed my opinion radically: it is much more precise, even more so considering that the high resolutions highlights mistakes.

If the D750 is similar (I even read "better" online), then I'll buy one as soon as I get rid of the two "big beasts".

Lory

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:55 PM
ronno
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D750 Green Dot precision

Lory, I presume you have adjusted the diopter? Whenever I fell that i am going blind while trying to focus, I find that the diopter is out of whack ;-)

Jan 16, 2015 at 01:48 PM
Vilk
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D750 Green Dot precision

never had an AF lens, all manual focus, and i shot both the 810 and the 750--i haven't noticed a significant difference. well, maybe... the DK-17M helps on the 810 but the green dot is good enough on both, just focus "from close"

Jan 16, 2015 at 01:52 PM
ilnonno
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D750 Green Dot precision

Ronno, yes, it's adjusted

Vilk, I don't use the DK-17M. Have it but never was able to get used to it (plus I kept loosing eyecups with it )
What I meant in my original message is that the D810 is the *first* camera I don't need to "visually" confirm focus: when the green dot lights up, then it's 95% of the time in focus... That is why I am so excited, because this means I can finally use the Zeiss 135 with ease.
If the D750 has the same "green dot precision" and general autofocus precision, I'm all set!

Lory

Jan 16, 2015 at 03:02 PM
marf88

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D750 Green Dot precision

I'm curious, is it even possible to fine tune a MF lens that still have a cpu to talk to the body (such as the Zeiss 135), to get the Green Dot to be more accurate if you notice a bias?

Jan 16, 2015 at 03:19 PM
ilnonno
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D750 Green Dot precision

Was curious myself.
But my problem was never one of calibration, rather that general reliability of the focus green dot.

Jan 16, 2015 at 03:21 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D750 Green Dot precision

I rented a DF a while back, and used it with my MF 105 1.8 AIS. At 1.8 focussing was really hit and miss, more miss.
I tried my 105 on a D750 in store, and was really surprised that my hit rate at 1.8 was much much better. I'd say about 80% of my shots were spot on (taking my SD card home and checking it on my computer), while with the DF they were at best about 20% sharp at 1.8.

Maybe build variance etc, but that was my experience. Ming Thein (if you care) mentioned the focus seemed much more precise too in his review.

Jan 16, 2015 at 04:33 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D750 Green Dot precision

The issue with manually focusing to the green dot is that Nikon's firmware intentionally widens the range of its VF dot/rangefinder confirmation when the body or lens is in MF mode. Presumably this is done to make MF faster because a more-stringent VF confirmation would require more twiddling of the focus ring to get a confirmation, which would be particularly problematic on lenses with slop in their focus ring mechanism, such as the 28G f/1.8 for example.

You can verify Nikon's MF confirmation behavior by attaching an AF-S lens, using AF to focus on a target, then turning the focus ring just enough so that the solid confirmation dot turns into a flickering dot/range-finder arrow, ie meaning it's slightly out of focus. At that point, switch the lens or body to MF and you'll immediately see a solid green dot again. This demonstrates the wider confirmation range in MF mode. FYI, I just verified the D750 has the same behavior in this regard vs all previous Nikon bodies I've tested.

Jan 16, 2015 at 04:45 PM
ilnonno
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D750 Green Dot precision

Thanks for the check, Snapsy.
I never noticed this, although I noticed that the green dot is often lit for "longer" than it should, meaning that there is a little slack in focusing that will still keep it lit up, thus hurting focusing precision. It seems exactly the behaviour you have described.

Still, I have found the D810 the only camera to reliably focus the Zeiss (and very well also the 28 2.8ais).
It is also very precise in focusing with my other lenses once calibrated, something I couldn't say of the D3s/D4.

Desmolicious:
yes, that is exactly the impression I had too with the D810. All of a sudden, manual focus is much easier and more reliable.

Lory

Jan 16, 2015 at 05:13 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D750 Green Dot precision

Remember, there is a difference between precision and accuracy.

Jan 17, 2015 at 09:56 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.