New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 7d2 case question

JVthePT
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7d2 case question

I just got a 7d2 yesterday. Initial impression is very positive.
I will be shooting a swim meet Saturday. Any suggestions on which Case to use or settings within the specific case?
I will be using the 70-200 f2.8II and the 85 f1.8 and I typically use single point focus to nail the face when they take a breath.
Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Edited on Jan 15, 2015 at 11:51 AM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:10 AM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7d2 case question

Looking forward to seeing how the anti-flicker works indoors. The 10 fps shoild prove very useful for grabbing 2-3 frames per breath.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:11 AM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7d2 case question

Anti flicker works surprisingly well. I wish my 5d3 had this feature!

I use case 1 and 5 alot on my 7d2, and I seem to get everything in focus when things move!

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:24 AM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7d2 case question

Peter Read Miller tried case 2 for this but didn't like it per his review. I'd go case 1 and see what happens.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7d2 case question

Sounds good.
I set up the DOF preview button for One Shot mode so I will see how I like that for stationary shots such as starting position on the block.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7d2 case question

JVthePT wrote:
Sounds good.
I set up the DOF preview button for One Shot mode so I will see how I like that for stationary shots such as starting position on the block.

The 7D2 gives you the option to place both one shot and Ai servo on separate back buttons (i,e. Af-On or *). I have one shot (spot focus) on Af-on and Ai servo on *. Click on either button in Custom function and then click on info (don't have camera in front of me) and you will see the options. That's way better than the dof button, unless you already have those back buttons occupied. Check it out.

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:56 AM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7d2 case question

Yep, I'm aware of that. I'm used to the DOF button as that's how I've set up other bodies. We'll see how it does tomorrow and I might try something different.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:32 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7d2 case question

sounds as if you've done this before.
I try to catch the kids in the butterfly coming at me by prefocusing on the area I hope they hit the peak at.
Sometimes, I miss, using AI focus, but it may depend on how bright it is that day (inside, but large windows).
I shoot from the other end of the pool in that lane while they are coming at me.

I also use AI focus when they are going past me and I lock on to them, and then shoot when they come up to breathe. I usually get to ask them which way they turn their head so I am on the correct side of the pool.
I'm lucky I get full access for the newspaper and this is so much easier during a practice than a meet.

I hope you do well and share your photos when done. Good Luck.

Jan 16, 2015 at 01:02 PM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7d2 case question

Thank you Kenneth!
My daughter is a swimmer and I shoot just her team and some other local kids we know whose parents like having some nice action photos.
I will try to post some when I get a chance.

Jan 16, 2015 at 01:05 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7d2 case question

I would think that case 4 would work well for you.

Also, which focus setup are you choosing....center point with expansion or zone focus??
I have found solid results with center zone focus with 9 point expansion.

As others have said....waiting to see what you get

Jan 19, 2015 at 01:13 PM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7d2 case question

Sorry for the delay in response.
I used case 1 and slowed tracking. Used spot Af to hit faces.
AF functioned well but the pool was so dimly lit. 4 large light fixtures out. One end was like a dungeon and the well lit end was a mess with people. High ISO was a must.
Results are not worth posting. I did put some on Flickr for a few parents but they're not real good.
The camera worked great. Operator error and very poor condiitions however affected the end product.

Jan 19, 2015 at 01:22 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7d2 case question

JVthePT wrote:
Sorry for the delay in response.
I used case 1 and slowed tracking. Used spot Af to hit faces.
AF functioned well but the pool was so dimly lit. 4 large light fixtures out. One end was like a dungeon and the well lit end was a mess with people. High ISO was a must.
Results are not worth posting. I did put some on Flickr for a few parents but they're not real good.
The camera worked great. Operator error and very poor condiitions however affected the end product.

I think you are being modest about your Flickr posts. Based on what I looked at on your Flickr page, the 7d ii, using Case 1 with slower tracking worked well.

Jan 19, 2015 at 05:08 PM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7d2 case question

Thank you, and yes the camera did well, it's the PP that is the weak link. I didn't spend much time on those so noise isn't cleaned up well. My RAW editor of choice is After Shot Pro 2. I didn't realize that it doesn't "see" the RAW files from the 7d2. I intend to work on familiarizing myself with Canons newest software but didn't have time so I just edited the JPEG's which, I'm sure, won't yield as nice a result as working with the RAW files.

Jan 19, 2015 at 05:46 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7d2 case question

I use Lightroom 5.7.1 as my RAW editor and it sees 7D ii CR2 files. Lr does a reasonable job with NR. YMMV

Jan 19, 2015 at 06:16 PM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7d2 case question

Yeah I have thought about LR, but I'm already invested in Corel and comfortable with it. I don't want to buy more software, I'm sure there will be an update sooner or later that invludes it.

mogud wrote:
I use Lightroom 5.7.1 as my RAW editor and it sees 7D ii CR2 files. Lr does a reasonable job with NR. YMMV

Jan 19, 2015 at 06:22 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7d2 case question

I agree Corel should step up.

Jan 19, 2015 at 06:32 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7d2 case question

I don't see the link to your flicker account.
Please send me the link, [email protected]
I'd enjoy seeing what you got.
I was surprised just at the difference in loss of light from the girls team during the school year having lots of light and the boys time later in the year having very little light.
Thanks, Ken.

Jan 19, 2015 at 07:01 PM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7d2 case question

Sent you a PM Kenneth.

Jan 19, 2015 at 07:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.