New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need help with product shot

Ssnycshoot
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help with product shot

Hi guys, I've encounter some problem when taking handbag photos with my current set up and need help with it.

I use Savage Seamless Background Paper super white #1 as background paper, I have 2 umbrella with 65W photo daylight bulb on both side of the handbag, florescent light on ceiling. I take exposure off the white paper background, overexpose about 2 stops but not clipping it to take white background. But there are always two issues, 1 white balance always seems off. 2. I always clip the hardware part of the handbag. Any advises will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jan 15, 2015 at 09:54 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help with product shot

Fluorescents are a monkeys uncle to WB, especially above 1/60 shutter, because you will get phase shifting from the AC cycle. Also make sure your bulbs have been on for 15 minutes, just like calibrating your monitor, they will change as they warm up.

The blown metals are from not controlling the reflections. Read the book Light, Science, Magic. One of the best ever books on lighting.... Ever. There are different ways to get what you want, depending on exactly what you want.

Paul

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help with product shot

Turn off the florescent light that is what is screwing your white balance (no idea if the daylight bulbs are actually full spectrum daylight). Unless it is a huge space with that and two umbrellas you likely have light going everywhere with little control anyway. You are really best using proper lighting designed for photography, manual speedlights are cheap and many many times more powerful.

Like Paul says, there are many ways to stop the metal from blowing out:
Change the angle so you don't get direct reflection
Take one shot exposed for the metal and PS that into the normal shot
Use a gobo

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:46 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help with product shot

As Mark said, get rid of the fluorescent: the scene cannot be color-balanced with light sources of different temperature. Even then, uniform color is dependent on color-neutral surroundings because the umbrellas are going to generate a lot of stray light.

Don't eliminate the speculars! Those reflections are necessary to convey the impression of metal to the viewer. You can, however, control the positions and quantity of burn-out by positioning light sources and changing their apparent size. Lack of control over shaping, positioning and stray light is why umbrellas are best avoided in the studio. Better modifiers for your purpose are dishes, softboxes, grids and reflector cards. A shot from yesterday:

Only one flash source was used, but the light was processed: 13" metal dish to direct, interposed silk to diffuse and generate ambient fill, white wall for back fill, black backdrop for subtractive lighting. You can see the entire lighting scheme in the reflections on the gold sphere. Besides indicating metal, speculars also define the shape of the objects. Shape is also suggested by the shadows from directional light—you could use more of that.

Jan 16, 2015 at 07:26 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help with product shot

With product shots like this you might try back lighting as your Key and fill the front with a large reflector. It gives better dimension and depth, and helps you control specular highlights. Also, you might try a gray or darker BG. You will have to clean up the color cast from the purse in post.

Jan 17, 2015 at 04:48 PM
diamondsdr47
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help with product shot

For the white balance, if you don't budget for color chart get the gray card at least. The advice about the book is great.

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:23 PM
Ssnycshoot
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need help with product shot

Thank you for your feedback guys.

Right now with the paper background, I overexpose the background to get that pure white, You can view the product shot I've taken recently here at http://bufordwholesale.com. The lighting are all flourescent light, one on top, one on the back, and one on left with adjustable reflection to fill where needed. With the set up I have, I overexpose background on every individual photo on lightroom which is too time consuming. And I am not satisfied with the quality of the photo.

I just order a photo tent and the gray card from B&H, I think the material is whiter than the paper and more reflective. One of you mention to get rid off the flourescent light, what's my other alternative option if I get rid of them? I use Panasonic GX7, I don't think they offer much flash option. Any recommendation on the specific light setup with be greatly appreciated(link on B&H will help a lot). Thanks

Mar 05, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need help with product shot

The images aren't too bad really but I think the subject is a about a 1/3 stop or so overexposed. part of this is coming from having the purse too close to the BG which you are overexposing. How are you metering your ratios? You really should be using a light meter for stuff like this. Also, you should try Savage Pure White paper not the super white. The super white can give of a bluish color cast. Pure white is better for color imagery. A light tent is OK for shadowless work but kind of boring also. Typically you would put one light on either side of the tent and that will bounce the light everywhere. But you can experiment with that.

As far as white balance goes, if you want the best color control in product work, get yourself an X-Rite Color Checker Passport.

Mar 05, 2015 at 04:16 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need help with product shot

Not sure how you overexpose the background without separate lights on it. Why not place light behind the background then it is well lit pure white and that allows you to adjust the front lights as needed to prevent reflections. I sometimes use a easy to bend white plastic piece as background.
Avoid the tight string on the handle. Just more to PS out later. If it leaves a mark on a higher end bag client won't like it. That line is sharp when pilled tight.

You must use a card to custom WB. For me that is mandatory every time I shoot anything. The fewer adjustments in post the better. As long as you shoot with a slow shutter required for continuous lighting any overhead lighting will be part of the image so try to block it or turn it off.

Mar 07, 2015 at 02:44 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.