Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Nervous?

eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nervous?

I suspect not because I was too close but just because it can! I spent about 20 minutes photographing a troop of baboons from very close and not in the vehicle....smart move...not exactly but no harm, no foul
Eric
http://eyelaser.smugmug.com/Nature/Tanzania-South-Africa-2009/i-4qJFmVr/0/X2/baboon-X2.jpg

Jan 15, 2015 at 08:26 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nervous?

That is one fantastic image Eric!! Great detail, and you caught it in a pose that gives it a huge pile of cute factor.

Jan 15, 2015 at 08:37 AM
sibirdie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nervous?

Fabulous shot. Next time throw him a nail clipper.

Jan 15, 2015 at 08:42 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nervous?

A super shot as is Eric, but if you have the real estate, more room on the right, (and I suspect you don't... ), would take it up another notch ~ Ron

Jan 15, 2015 at 09:21 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nervous?

Nice catchlights! Good job Eric!

Jan 15, 2015 at 09:54 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nervous?

You know how nasty a big male baboon can be! They are pretty scary!
But the little ones are so photogenic. This is a very appealing image. It can be very difficult to get photos of these guys; I know, as I've never gotten anything nearly this good.
Don

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:43 AM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nervous?

Wow, beautiful Eric. Are you not afraid from baboon's attack?

- Tam

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:17 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nervous?

What a superb image Eric.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:31 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nervous?

KCollett wrote:
That is one fantastic image Eric!! Great detail, and you caught it in a pose that gives it a huge pile of cute factor.

Thanks Ken....the whole troop was pretty relaxed around me and so they just continued doing what they were doing.
---------------------------------------------

sibirdie wrote:
Fabulous shot. Next time throw him a nail clipper.

Wonderful idea thanks

surfnron wrote:
A super shot as is Eric, but if you have the real estate, more room on the right, (and I suspect you don't... ), would take it up another notch ~ Ron

Thanks Ron...actually I do but I liked the tight crop...I'll post others and let you decide.

DonGut wrote:
You know how nasty a big male baboon can be! They are pretty scary!
But the little ones are so photogenic. This is a very appealing image. It can be very difficult to get photos of these guys; I know, as I've never gotten anything nearly this good.
Don

Thanks Don...I kept on eye on the big male and as long as I didn't move forward he was nonplussed...the babies would come within a foot or two of me and almost grabbed my camera strap a few times. If I looked up from the view finder they backed away....not an aggressive step by any of them....but I don't recommend what I did to anyone...I suspect I got very lucky.

canon.eos30d wrote:
Wow, beautiful Eric. Are you not afraid from baboon's attack?

- Tam

Hi Tam and thanks....I don't typically get afraid and maybe my calm nature around the animals is what allows me to enter their space and not cause concern on their part. On the other hand, it is not something I would do on a regular basis and don't recommend it as these guys can be very nasty and a male baboon has canines that are larger than a leopard's.....I will tell you, my wife was not very happy with me but I forced her to keep the video rolling even as the expletives were flying
Eric

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:36 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nervous?

louie champan wrote:
What a superb image Eric.

Thanks Louie...now if only I could get that close to a peregrine...that would make my day, week or even year!
Eric

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:37 PM
mrcolin2u
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nervous?

Superb image Eric

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:53 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nervous?

yowza, eric what a shot. I loved the details on the sole, as well. Maybe next trip carry a few pacifiers..

Jan 15, 2015 at 06:14 PM
shekarn64
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nervous?

Wonderful shot! Is this really wild?

Jan 15, 2015 at 06:28 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nervous?

Great shot and pretty background Eric!

Where was this taken?

BB

Jan 15, 2015 at 06:31 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nervous?

shekarn64 wrote:
Wonderful shot! Is this really wild?

As wild as it gets....right outside the gates entering the Ngorongoro Conservation area....if you heard my wife yelling at me you'd think I was a crazy man....and maybe you'd be half right .
And the fact that this troop of baboons probably had more contact with people than many others doesn't mean much....baboons regularly attack people at Cape Point for food and even end up in their vehicles.....having said all that, I didn't feel threatened for a minute and made sure to allow the baboons to approach me rather than the other way around......it was one of the coolest wildlife experiences I've had.
Eric

Jan 15, 2015 at 06:33 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nervous?

kdacharya wrote:
yowza, eric what a shot. I loved the details on the sole, as well. Maybe next trip carry a few pacifiers..

The little one...I'll post more soon...kept trying to grab my camera strap...only fun and games though. I was pretty happy how the whole series turned out.

BeeBalm wrote:
Great shot and pretty background Eric!

Where was this taken?

BB

Thanks BB...this was in Tanzania as we left the Ngorongoro Conservation area...there is a government post there where the guides have to sign out and while he was doing that I took advantage of the baboons that were milling about. In retrospect, this is not a very clever thing to do and I could have been seriously injured if the dominant male thought I was endangering the little ones but I tend to have a pretty calm demeanor around wildlife and I think that helps prevent the things that happen when people provoke and get within the flight and fight distance that all animals have.
Eric

Jan 15, 2015 at 06:39 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nervous?

Thanks BB...this was in Tanzania as we left the Ngorongoro Conservation area...there is a government post there where the guides have to sign out and while he was doing that I took advantage of the baboons that were milling about. In retrospect, this is not a very clever thing to do and I could have been seriously injured if the dominant male thought I was endangering the little ones but I tend to have a pretty calm demeanor around wildlife and I think that helps prevent the things that happen when people provoke and get within the flight and fight distance
...Show more

I understand Eric. It is kind of like greeting a dog. Approach your hand under not on top of his head. animals can sense fear in humans too! Calm is key! Can't wait to see more! BB

Jan 15, 2015 at 06:48 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nervous?

Fantastic detail and pose Eric. Makes me want to suck on my toe if I could

Ted

Jan 15, 2015 at 06:55 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nervous?

very nice Eric

Jan 15, 2015 at 07:54 PM
dhoffman
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nervous?

Super image Eric. Just a great portrait.

Dave

Jan 15, 2015 at 09:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.