FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

chicha1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

Does anyone know of a way to download drivers for the LS4000
scanner to a win 7 64 Bit machine. Nikon wants me to buy a 3rd party
application @90.oo. I spent a tidy sum on the scanner and don't
really want to spend more money. Nikon is still screwing people.
They never seem to get tired of it.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

i use vuescans scanning suite on win 7 and 8.1. yes I paid $80 for the lifetime updated pro version but it also works with older flatbed and other types where they too are not supported. That money was well spent extending the lifespan of an extremely important tool. No complaints here from me

You do have one other option. But if your complaining about the price of this you definitely not going to warm up to the other option.

Edited on Jan 14, 2015 at 01:00 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:57 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

Just get VueScan and pay the price. You don't want to use the ancient Nikon software anyway. You spent a lot of cash for a good scanner, so why use inferior software? You don't want to scan your stuff more than once.

Jan 14, 2015 at 01:00 PM
chicha1

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

Thanks, all. I guess I will bite the bullet a much as I hate it. It isn't the money. The scanner is built to last-I guess the support is NOT.

Jan 14, 2015 at 01:48 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

chicha1 wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to download drivers for the LS4000
scanner to a win 7 64 Bit machine. Nikon wants me to buy a 3rd party
application @90.oo. I spent a tidy sum on the scanner and don't
really want to spend more money. Nikon is still screwing people.
They never seem to get tired of it.

Nikon discontinued this product more than a decade ago... so how exactly are they still screwing you?

Jan 14, 2015 at 02:57 PM
REMAC
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

The following worked for me on two different Nikon scanners:

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44994-getting-your-nikon-coolscan-work-w7-x64.html

Jan 14, 2015 at 04:31 PM
chicha1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

Thanks everyone for your advice-I bought Viewscan and am experimenting.
Am 81 and expect quality items to work and be supported thru a lifetime of the product-unrealistic, I suppose. Cheers and thanks

Jan 14, 2015 at 05:52 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

well it should mechanically, optically, and electrically work for many years barring wear and tear. softwarewise though the world is constantly evolving.

just don't forget to use the 64bit software with a 64bit OS.

Jan 14, 2015 at 06:05 PM
ED K

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

REMAC wrote:
The following worked for me on two different Nikon scanners:

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44994-getting-your-nikon-coolscan-work-w7-x64.html

This worked perfectly with my LS4000 on a Win7 64 system. Nikon Scan is fully operational as well.

Jan 14, 2015 at 07:05 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

chicha1 wrote:
Am 81 and expect quality items to work and be supported thru a lifetime of the product-unrealistic, I suppose. Cheers and thanks

I'm sure the scanner still works perfectly fine. Too bad Microsoft went and changed Windows to make this device (and thousands of others) obsolete.

Jan 15, 2015 at 01:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

i'm sorry, but as far as obsolescence it comes down to the company updating their product drivers. and in reality we all know it is far from obsolete. it nikons support for it that failed along with minolta, canon and a whole fleet of companies that haf chosen not too. of course its microsofts fault. yeah right.

Edited on Jan 15, 2015 at 07:30 PM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2015 at 03:05 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

Frankly, Nikon Scan sucked. Minolta's scan app sucks. Epson Scan sucks.

If you are going to scan seriously, you need either Vuescan Pro or Silverfast AI. If you are on a budget Vuescan pro is the one to choose, especially since it's a buy once and supported forever deal. I'm still using a 10 year old license several scanners later.

And Vuescan provides USB drivers for supported scanners that are no longer supported on modern OS's.

It's worth noting that unlike the more modern scanners, Nikon did support the LS4000 pretty well during its product life. But it was discontinued in the XP era and the driver model for both Windows and Mac has completely changed since then (once for Windows, twice for the Mac) and almost no company out there provides completely new drivers for discontinued models.

Now Nikon did play games with the newer 5000ED and 9000ED, not supporting current OS's while the scanners were still being sold new by Nikon.

BTW, you can't blame Microsoft for this, the driver model changes that broke all the old drivers are the reason why the newer versions of Windows (Vista and 7, as well as XP Service Pack 3 to some extent) are so much more stable than older versions (XP before SP3, 2000). And Microsoft back-ported support for the new drivers to XP to allow people to continue using it with new hardware and better reliability, via Service Pack 3.

Jan 15, 2015 at 06:32 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

I am using NikonScan on my Windows 8.1 machine with no problems.

You have to play a little with the OS' pre-set protections a little, but it's a pretty simple task and takes less than 10 minutes. The driver I use is for the LS-5000.

Jan 15, 2015 at 06:59 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

I have used both Silverfast and VueScan when we were in the camera shop.

I personally ended up with Silverfast.

Jan 15, 2015 at 07:45 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

I used SF for 2 years and the update was like paying for it all over again. I gave up and went with VS never looking in the rearview mirror

Jan 15, 2015 at 08:37 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

Vuescan is great! I don't mind the Epson software either

Jan 15, 2015 at 09:02 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon LS4000 SCANNER

the website below has a detail text copy of the driver file, i.e. .inf, for win vista-64 bits. however, based on the most recent writeup on the website, this .inf file along with the required .dll file, will work on win 7-64bits.

the website identify where & how to obtain the required .dll file and has the installation instructions. it is a fairly simple straight forward instructions.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/coolscan-vista-64.html

disclaimer: i used silverfast and do not run Nikon ls scanner. so if you find the process successful or not, please post and share your results.

i would be interested to know as well.

tom

Jan 15, 2015 at 09:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.