New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need Non-Marking Paint for Studio Floor + Backdrop

jhelms
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Non-Marking Paint for Studio Floor + Backdrop

I've seen various threads about paints for backdrops and backgrounds, but have a specific question regarding paint that could be used on a large-ish custom built sweep that includes the floor.

Currently, the regular matte paint EASILY gets very marked up and dirty when moving products around and is not very easy to clean. Footprints, soft rubber wheels, etc. all seem to mark up the floor slowing down the workflow.

Any suggestions for something that would work here? Main objectives are:

1) Non marking / highly resistant to marking

2) Easy to clean if / when marks are made

Jan 14, 2015 at 09:40 AM
jhelms
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Non-Marking Paint for Studio Floor + Backdrop

I also contacted customer service at Rosco after seeing some of their studio paints and got this detailed reply....

----------------------------------

When you are using white paint for a floor, scuffs and footprints are inevitable. They can never be eliminated. That being said, we have some products that might make keeping your studio clean a little easier and will help make your painted floor more durable.

First, I will recommend our Tough Prime White paint. This is a very durable primer and sealant that is used for stage floors. It is easy to clean with just soap and water, and it is inherently scuff resistant. It is also extremely quick drying, so if you get a deep abrasion, you can quickly repaint and patch the spot and be ready to go right away. If you apply three or four thin coats, allowing each to dry thoroughly between applications, you will achieve a highly durable white surface. It is also a very matte flat finished white, so it should serve your purposes well.

If you want something even more durable in the long term, over Tough Prime or another white paint treatment, you can apply one of our Rosco Clear Acrylic Glazes. In Flat or Gloss, these acrylics protect paint when used as a topcoat. Our flat acrylic is often used directly on top of Tough Prime White or our Off Broadway White paint for stage floors, because it protects against daily wear and tear and makes the surface of the Off Broadway paints more water resistant. Again, to build up a more durable finish, you should apply in three or four thin coats, allowing each to dry thoroughly between applications. This glaze works like an acrylic nail polish – it will help protect and makes your floor more durable than paint alone, but ultimately, it cannot completely eliminate the danger of dings and scratches.

Acrylic Glazes help to make your floor look even in color and tone, but if you are using this space for dancing or something else that requires a specific grip to the floor, this may not be the right product for you.

If you want something even more durable in the long term, over Tough Prime or another white paint treatment, you can apply our Premiere Clear coating. This urethane coating is suitable for withstanding moderate to high traffic areas, and when cured correctly (applying in thin coats, drying at least 24 hours between coats), this is stronger than the Acrylic Glazes, but is more difficult to clean should it get scuffed or dirty.

If high gloss is not an issue, then I would recommend our ColorCoat product. This is a durable acrylic enamel which provides superior abrasion resistance. It works extremely well on high-traffic stages, and is difficult (though of course not impossible) to scuff - but it only comes in High Gloss, so if the gloss finish is an issue, the best alternative is the Acrylic Glaze or Premiere Clear.

Ultimately, Tough Prime White will give you an extremely easy to clean white surface, and if you anticipate needing to touch up your floor from time to time as rubber wheels leave marks, I would use just this product alone. If you do not plan on touching up the paint, you can try adding an acrylic or urethane top coat, which will make your floor more durable, but harder to correct should excessive abrasions occur.

I hope this has helped, please let me know if there are any other questions you have regarding our products. You can read more about our paints and coatings at the link below: http://www.rosco.com/scenic/index.cfm

All the best, Lauren Lanzotti

Customer Service

----------------------------------

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM
andre2112
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Non-Marking Paint for Studio Floor + Backdrop

get some cut-to-fit adhesive felt made for furniture feet. Works well and makes things easier to move also. Foot booties or disposable shower caps work well to cover shoes.

Jan 16, 2015 at 01:40 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Non-Marking Paint for Studio Floor + Backdrop

I knew a guy who used a white rug, I believe they're called "runners," which are thin and long. He would place one on each side so that he could walk on it and adjust the product. He also wore pull over booties, and on occasion laid down a 4' x 8' acrylic panel.

You might want to call a few of the busy rental studios in Los Angeles or New York and ask them if they have any solutions. I'm not certain they do. I shoot at a lot of these studios and there are always scuff marks and foot prints when my shoot is done.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:37 AM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need Non-Marking Paint for Studio Floor + Backdrop

While I preferred matte paint, and would buy my own for my shoots, the studio I worked at insisted on using Semi-Gloss due to it not being as easy to mess up quickly (ie. renters come in...and 15 minutes later they complain the floor is "dirty" due to their gear/footprints). It did help quite a bit, and when there was minimal markings you could even clean spots with a soapy rag. That only helps if you don't mind the more reflective surface you'll get with semi-gloss (cheap Glidden sourced from Home Depot).

If you're picky like me and prefer matte/flat white...then as has been said works wonders:
pads for the bottoms of furniture
tennis balls on light stands
those little hospital booties that cover shoes, or tape the bottom of shoes if it's a model

Jan 18, 2015 at 03:40 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.