New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

Doc4659
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

I'll be in Las Vegas in March.
I have an extra 9 days and am considering one of the two trips below.
Any advice or ideas is appreciated.

Trip 1 - Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Antelope Canyon & Horseshoe bend, Grand Canyon NP - South rim.

Trip 2 - Death Valley NP, Sequoia & Kings Canyon NP, Yosemite NP

Jan 14, 2015 at 08:56 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

Doc4659 wrote:
I'll be in Las Vegas in March.
I have an extra 9 days and am considering one of the two trips below.
Any advice or ideas is appreciated.

Trip 1 - Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Antelope Canyon & Horseshoe bend, Grand Canyon NP - South rim.

Trip 2 - Death Valley NP, Sequoia & Kings Canyon NP, Yosemite NP

A march trip into the Southwest — especially at the end of the month — could be fine, though you'll be too early for a lot of the things that you might see a bit later when spring arrives. The landscape is great any time of year. Be prepared for weather.

March is an excellent time to visit Death Valley. Temperatures can often be quite comfortable then (though it can get somewhat hot and you can still see weather affected by winter conditions, too) and this is a bit before the spring break crowds. The Sierra Nevada national parks are a bit trickier. Sequoia and Kings Canyon are largely backcountry parks, and most people aren't going to try to navigate that backcountry at this point in the season since it is still the end of winter. Yosemite Valley is beautiful any time, and you could get conditions ranging from winter-like to spring-like in March. The waterfalls are unlikely to be anywhere close to full flow that early in the season. Kings Canyon and Sequoia are accessible from the west, though it is still a kind of in-between season.

Dan

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

Early or late in the month?

If early, I'd do DV, the southern 395 Corridor, and the Sierra parks.

If we're talking late March, the lower elevations of Utah and Az will be warming up a bit, making the days rather pleasant. (Unless they aren't. Spring storms can still bury you in snow if you happen to be visiting when one passes through.)

What sort of activities do you have in mind? What style of photography? If you're one to get out and about, D.V. and the redrock destinations offer endless photo-hiking opportunities.

Jan 14, 2015 at 09:00 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

Yosemite is going to likely only be accessible from the west as well. Your choices, depending on how you leave Death Valley would be to go via Tehachapi Pass between Mojave and Bakersfield or go north and cross at the Tahoe/Donner area. Weather wise, that's riskier as it's higher and farther north. The routes are easily checked on a map. Highway 395 is generally open but there are some high passes north of Bishop that can close in storms (as might any of the higher elevation roads in either of your proposed areas). It's a kind of roundabout route but driving up Owens Valley from the south passes close to Mount Whitney, and climbs higher leaving Bishop, passing Mono lake before entering Nevada. Tahoe and Donner are beautiful areas as well, then across and south. Highway 49 passes through the California Gold Rush country and isn't always a very high speed route but lots of scenic little towns.

Jan 15, 2015 at 01:29 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

Zion/Bryce and Page, Arizona should be a nice triangle. After you leave Las Vegas, be sure to visit the Valley of Fire which is along the route to Bryce.

In Page, check out the Upper and Lower slot canyons. I would recommend doing the solo tour and not a group tour because you will be rushed by the tour guides and find it hard to get a good shot inside the slot canyon without people being in the way or being rushed by the guides. It will cost you a little more but is probably worth it.

In March, you can expect snow on the higher elevations, so be prepared and carry chains, unless you have snow tires. Areas in Sequoia NP are over 6000 ft in elevation and it's a long climb uphill.

P.S. read khurram's post about his experience at Antelope Canyon. Too bad.

Jan 15, 2015 at 08:09 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

Hello? O.P.? Is anyone there?

This is YOUR thread, you might want to participate...

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:07 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

Greg Campbell wrote:
Hello? O.P.? Is anyone there?

This is YOUR thread, you might want to participate...

He's happy to get more input.

Jan 16, 2015 at 07:27 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

The guy dumps a lazy, vague question on the group, and several people take the time to reply with concrete suggestions. This is not the live version of Wikipedia. At this point, if he expects any more 'input,' he needs to direct a bit of effort and common courtesy into the proceedings.

Jan 16, 2015 at 09:34 PM
Doc4659
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

Thanks to all for your input.
I apologize if you feel my question was lazy or vague and my absence has been due to a death in the family.

My trip will be the second week of March.
As I've received several PM's regarding Sequoia and Kings Canyon being a 90% "backpacking" park.

I've decided to do the Zion trip. I shoot mostly Landscapes and am looking to shoot some night sky's on this trip.

I've been told that Bryce is the spot to shoot night sky's and the Milky Way.
Right now I'm planning 2-3 days in Zion and a day/night in Bryce, a day in Page, and 2 days at the Canyon.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:27 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

Seeking some experiential guidance: Historically, what have been the best months in Eastern Sierras and Utah to get good picturesque clouds and sunrise/sunset colors? thx

Jan 19, 2015 at 04:06 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

msoomro wrote:
Seeking some experiential guidance: Historically, what have been the best months in Eastern Sierras and Utah to get good picturesque clouds and sunrise/sunset colors? thx

In the Sierra, that really depends on what else you want in your photo — autumn colors, snow, etc. Often in the summer there are no clouds for days at a time... but then there are days of wonderful thunder clouds. Sunrise/sunset in the Sierra can be good any time of the year.

Jan 19, 2015 at 04:56 PM
Doc4659
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Utah - Calafornia Trip advice / ideas

So far it looks like Zion 3 days, then Page AZ for a day, Grand Canyon for 2 days.
Thanks to everyone for their input.

Jan 21, 2015 at 08:31 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.