FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Luminous Landscape

Kory Lidstrom
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Luminous Landscape

(Still some spaces left for the upcoming Hawaii Photography Tour in Kauai led by myself and Aaron Feinberg.)

A brilliant sunrise bathes the Painted Hills in central Oregon with sweet, radiant light. (BEST VIEWED ON BLACK!)

I *almost* didn't get to shoot this. The day before, Marc Adamus and I were making use of the harsh midday light by shooting a cave 170 miles away. Upon exciting the cave, we took a break in the parking lot, and I did something dumb: I placed my tripod on top of my vehicle "just for a minute" while I loaded my backpack and other gear. We then made our way slowly to the Painted Hills, taking all day to get there, and camping there for the night, planning on shooting sunrise there the next morning.

Well, the next morning arrived, and for the life of me I could NOT find my damn tripod! Then it hit me: I had stupidly left it on top of my vehicle and then drove away, which meant it was somewhere on the side of the road on the 170-mile path between the Painted Hills and the cave. Marc graciously let me use his tripod since he'd already shot the Painted Hills tons of times and I made the image you see before you.

Once the shoot was done, we had a decision to make: do we go back and look for my tripod or not? We still had many days left of shooting together, and the nearest camera store was in Portland, the exact opposite direction of our intended path to the Alvord Desert. We simply couldn't afford to lose that much time, but, on the other hand, there was no effing way I could possibly do landscape photography without a tripod.

So, with mountains of doubt and heavy hearts, we decided to try and find my tripod, which meant driving all the way back while scanning both sides of the road for 170 miles. Marc didn't want to do it. He reasoned that it was a lost cause, like looking for a needle in a haystack. But I begged with him that we at least had to try, otherwise the trip was over for me, not to mention the not-so-small fact that my tripod and head cost $1,400!

We drove and drove and drove, but no luck. Finally, as we were losing all hope we approached the final 50 feet to parking lot by the cave and THERE IT WAS, against all odds, sitting right next to where we had parked. No one had bothered to take it or anything! We both erupted in cheers and high fives and drove the 170 miles back to the Painted Hills grinning from ear to ear. We went on to have an awesome next several days shooting the Alvord Desert and this story became one of our favorite "remember when" tales.

Edited on Jan 13, 2015 at 11:35 PM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:23 PM
Zeph
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Luminous Landscape

Nice ending to that story, I've had similar forgetful gear experience, but not with a good ending...
I like the long look you were able to get, from up the north hill. Seeing the snow caped hills in the distance, adds to make this a unique comp for such a well documented scene. What I like best about this is the atmosphere, the air seems thick with color or tone. One of the better take-a-ways, other than Marc's, of course

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Luminous Landscape

Very nice. I think a touch too much vingetting for my taste but still makes a great photo.

Just a note about the rules here:
- No commercial listings in any form (Example: link to workshops, etc.)

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:53 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Luminous Landscape

Looks perfect to me. Love the drama and dramatic rendering! Nice job Kory.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:33 PM
Kory Lidstrom
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Luminous Landscape

Zeph wrote:
Nice ending to that story, I've had similar forgetful gear experience, but not with a good ending...
I like the long look you were able to get, from up the north hill. Seeing the snow caped hills in the distance, adds to make this a unique comp for such a well documented scene. What I like best about this is the atmosphere, the air seems thick with color or tone. One of the better take-a-ways, other than Marc's, of course

Haha, thanks Zeph. Sorry to hear about you losing some gear. There isn't a landscape photog alive that hasn't had it happen at one time or another. And, yeah, Marc's tough to beat. Nearly everytime I've shot with him, he comes away with the superior image. I've gotten the upper hand a couple times, but those are the exceptions.

Scott Kroeker wrote:
Very nice. I think a touch too much vingetting for my taste but still makes a great photo.

Just a note about the rules here:
- No commercial listings in any form (Example: link to workshops, etc.)

Oops, didn't know that -- haven't posted as much here in recent years and wasn't aware of the change. I'll make sure not to do that anymore. I removed the link. Cool?

As for the vignetting, I hear you. It was a personal choice. Some like it, some don't. If I can find the time tomorrow, I'll try re-working it and posting it for comparison. Thanks for your comments.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:34 PM
Kory Lidstrom
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Luminous Landscape

Mark Metternich wrote:
Looks perfect to me. Love the drama and dramatic rendering! Nice job Kory.

Thanks, Mark. Your comments are always taken to heart.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:36 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.