Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

Zene234

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

I have access to an Canon FD Teleconverter. I would like to adapt it to an EF lens. Is there a way to do this. I know I can get an adapter to go between the camera and converter. I am looking to go between the lens and converter.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:07 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

I understand adapting some of the big whites or fast FD glass despite the differences in flange difference, but don't see any cost (and certainly no IQ) benefit in adapting a teleconverter. Just pick up one that fits EF natively.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:11 PM
Zene234

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

I agree but it would be a FD Teleconverter at no cost.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:14 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

The EdMika 0.07 converter for 300/400/500/600/800mm works with FD 1.4xA TC

he doesn't mention 2xA TC, so not sure about that

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:46 AM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

Yes the EdMika adapter would work to mount the FD teleconverter to an EOS body, but it will not solve his problem on how to mount the EF lens to the FD teleconverter.

No one has ever made an EF to FD adapter. Only FD to EF adapters. Even if there were an EF to FD adapter, how would you control the aperture? EF lenses have electric aperture diaphragms. You would have to shoot wide open.

Jan 14, 2015 at 01:04 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

Zene234 wrote:
I agree but it would be a FD Teleconverter at no cost.

Unfortunately, that's about what it is worth.

EBH

Jan 14, 2015 at 01:39 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

kabraxcis wrote:
The EdMika 0.07 converter for 300/400/500/600/800mm works with FD 1.4xA TC

he doesn't mention 2xA TC, so not sure about that

The EdMika .075mm adapter works with all FD teleconverters, the old twist lock and the newer button lock; 1.4a, 2a and 2b, but like Mike above points out it's one way only, EOS body, adapter, FD and or FL lenses, EF bodies and glass use electronic contacts, so you'd 'always be shooting wide-open' without a way to adjust aperture

Even if free, why would you want to pair the old glass with the new, IQ wouldn't be great...I wouldn't think. Film gear is inexpensive these days and digitizing film isn't difficult, expensive, but doable, film is just expensive per shot, and...sorry I'm babbling.

If you need/want a inexpensive T/C, buy a knockoff from Asia, there are plenty of them and I'd guess give you better IQ

Jan 14, 2015 at 01:46 AM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

Wait you want to use an FD TC with an EF lens?

I doubt that's worth your time.

I'm looking for an FD TC, preferably 1.4xA, why don't you just sell yours to me if it's an 1.4xA

Jan 14, 2015 at 02:15 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

Zene234 wrote:
I have access to an Canon FD Teleconverter. I would like to adapt it to an EF lens. Is there a way to do this. I know I can get an adapter to go between the camera and converter. I am looking to go between the lens and converter.

I don't get it > you may be getting the TC on the 'free' but I just don't see what point there is in changing both mounts to EF (if its even possible) to take an EF lens and then to mount it to an EF body . by the time you've bought the mount converters (even if a female one exists ) you could probably have bought a decent 2nd hand EF TC

I do possibly see some worth in using a FD TC as a TC mount converter (again if that possible) by keeping the lens mount FD and changing the rear to EF

Jan 14, 2015 at 02:15 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

I echo what Ian said, I just wouldn't bother.

Apart from the fact it's designed for FD and not EF lenses in the first place FD lenses and EOS cameras don't go well together.

Jan 14, 2015 at 06:13 AM
Zene234

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

Thanks for the input. I guess it's just not worth the effort. If it was a neccessity for business I would just go with a new Canon EF Teleconverter.

Jan 14, 2015 at 08:07 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon FD to EF and Back.

You can buy a used original Canon EF 1.4X for under $150, and the version II for just over $200 -- it's not a big cost to get the proper equipment that ensures the proper functioning of your (presumably more expensive) Canon EF lens(es). There are also independent converters available at even lower cost that retain EF functioning.

Jan 14, 2015 at 09:21 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.